“BEAUTIFUL”

Grand Hyatt Shenzhen
Ranked #16 of 2,865 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed 6 May 2011

Out of the way but cheap taxis everywhere so no problem.
Hotel brilliant, large rooms ultra clean and very modern.
Restaurants, The Show is a MUST to dine, quality food and much variety.
Staff, All spoke English which we found to be very limited in China.
Service was great.
My recommendation is my action. We are going back in October.
Bonus The rooms were very quiet with the best blackout curtains, electric, that we have encountered.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank archer66

Reviewed 4 May 2011

My friend and I heard about the bargains and tailoring to be had in Shenzhen and we tossed up whether to stay at the Shangri La or the Hyatt. The Hyatt won because we were intrigued by the description of the rooms and the newness of the hotel compared to the SR.

The rooms certainly did not disappoint! The bathroom is unique, the beds comfy and everything is silver service. The only difficulty we had was that you cannot enter or leave the room while someone is in the bathroom without disturbing them ;) this may be fine for couples, but not for friends or colleagues!

We were surprised by the receptionists' limited English skills and also the concierge - no one could describe how to get to the metro station, which was apparently right near the hotel. Then again, we didn't know that it was called the "metro" and asked about train, MTR, MRT, or subway. The route is well signed through the shopping centre if you know what you're looking for - we didn't. Note to future China newbies: it's a green symbol!

The hotel is spectacular and would be impressive for business meetings. it is also next to a high-end mall. But for bargain hunters like us, it was quite inconvenient. It is a good 15 minute walk through the mall to the metro station (it's 2 stops from Lo Wu) and it was difficult to get taxis (20 min wait at least each time). In hindsight we would have been far better off at the SR because it is literally on top of the station.

We didn't get breakfast included, and so only had it on one morning. But wow, was it worth it!! Amazing!! Huge variety of food and very, very good. Cannot fault it at all, and the service was also perfect, and changed our assessment of the team's English skills.

If the hotel were to offer a shuttle service to Lo Wu and back, I feel they could easily cater to the shopping focused tourists. It's only a 5min trip after all!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pennae
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Having travelled extensively in China and stayed at most of the top hotels in major cities, Grand Hyatt Shenzhen is truly one of the best and my favourite so far. The price was of excellent value as well.

First of all, the hardware. I have been to both PH Shanghai and Beijing. Although the one in Shenzhen is just a Grand Hyatt, but I think it's fair to put a Park Hyatt title on it, it is simply the best GH and it is on par or better than lots of the high category hotels such as RC and MO. Stunning lobby, big rooms, very nice design, quality decoration and great view. Although some people didn't like the change of elevators, but it indeed gave a more exclusive feel. A corner room is highly recommended. The Simmons bed make sure I had a nice sleep. By the way, the gym and swimming pool was great.

Secondly, the service. Check in was smooth. Although I checked in very early without notice, the receptionist tried her best to get me a room as soon as possible. Everyone was very polite and professional. Room service was fast as well. House keeping was great. It's not the service I normally expect from a hotel in China. It was really international standard. Tried the ESPA, one of the best I had, the therapist was very kind and totally professional.

Furthermore, the location was very convenient. Next to the MixC mall, you can get everything you want there. Minutes from the station to Hong Kong.

Last but not least, the buffet breakfast was good with lots of different selections and of course stunning view. I also tried the French restaurant. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as the restaurant in London. However, the quality of the good was great but for me, the portion was a little bit too big. The only negative thing was the price. About 200 pound for 2 just one bottle of normal wine and 3 courses. For this price, you can have it in every Michellin 2 star or some 3 star restaurant in the world.

Above all, I should thanks all the effort the staff has put to make this hotel the best place to stay in Shenzhen.

Room Tip: Try the xx11 Grand Deluxe Room
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 April 2011

We had a great time at this hotel in late April for a brief overnight stay. The hotel is modern yet warmly decorated. It's got all the amenities that one expects from a five-star hotel, and the staff are all very nice and helpful. We particularly like the bathing area, which is situated in the middle of the room enclosed by transparent glass panels on four sides. On the side facing the bedroom, there are two magical glass screens. When they are side by side, touching each other, a light goes on and the bathing area (which has both a tub and a rain shower) becomes totally transparent and you can see what's inside from your bed. But when you separate the screens (which can then act as a door closing up the bathroom and the corridor), the light goes off and the bathing area becomes non-transparent. This is very clever indeed. However, this magic screen only shields one side of the bathing area, which makes it difficult to share the room not particularly close to you.

We swam at the outdoor heated pool on the third floor terrace, and it was really nice. The locker room was also nicely done, with a steam room and a hot pool. There was also a spa, but we didn't try it.

We had dinner at the Italian restaurant on the ground floor, then went for some drinks at the lounge (our kid was not allowed to get into the penthouse bar at the top of the building). Breakfast at the Show Kitchen coffee shop was really fantastic -- there were a lot of choices, and the quality of food ingredients and of cooking were excellent.

The only thing I didn't like was the fact that they put the reception on the 33rd floor rather than on the ground floor. When I checked in, I thought my room was going to be somewhere on the 40th or even 50th floor, but it turned out to be on the 10th floor. That's really an anticlimax. But the really silly thing is that when you check out, you have to go up to the 33rd floor, and then go down to the ground floor to leave the hotel. That's totally unnecessary. I mean 33rd is not that high, and if a guest wants to take a look at the city from a high point, he can always go to the bar or restaurant at the top of the hotel, or to some other taller buildings.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank allanng2004
Reviewed 11 April 2011

The new Grand Hyatt ticked all the boxes with comfort, service and location. I enjoyed the spacious rooms and marvelled at the eye for detail. I found all the staff to be very helpful and attentive. I intend to return when I have the opportunity.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Simply the best hotel in Shenzhen with its central location in Luohu, part of the Mixc City development, 5-star service, and modern amenities. The perfect place for the business traveler with wireless throughout the hotel, spacious rooms with modern work desk, rain showers, cappucino machines in the room, wireless phones, and high ceilings. The rooms are designed well with a comfortable bed, large plasma screen, and ipod player.

I would highly recommend spending the extra cash for the Grand Club lounge which gives you a great cocktail service in the evening and breakfast in a modern lounge. Most importantly you are cared for by a wonderful staff who take care of your every needs. They have a popular buffet restaurant popular with the locals but would suggest the Italian Restaurant and European as my favorites. They have a wonderful lounge club called "Penthouse" on the highest floor, which is something you would see in Hong Kong or Shanghai. Great drinks, service, and atmosphere.

The fitness center is modern equipped with all of the most modern equipment. Fitness staff are helpful and can help you come up with a routine or improve your work outs. Pool is outside with a modern design. Perfect for the near year round good weather in Shenzhen.

The only negative of the hotel is that you need to switch elevators quite a bit due to its unique design. Also sometimes it can be difficult to get a taxi in this location. On the flip side due to its central location you can get to all of the other districts as well as a quick 5 minute taxi ride to get to the trains that take you to Hong Kong or Guanzhou.

One of the best hotesl in China.

Room Tip: Splurge and get the Grand Club Rooms
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank SouthBaySurfer
Reviewed 1 April 2011

Stayed here with friends and parents over New Years Eve.

The hotel entrance and driveway was a little hard to find by car, we ended up going into the hotel's garage and entering the hotel from underground which was a little annoying with our luggage. Signs on the road should be more visible. Even after we found it, we would still miss it sometimes and have to drive back again. The hotel is near the Louhu border crossing into Hong Kong which is nice.

The ground floor lobby desk is small and unassuming and from the direction we came, almost didn't even see it. We were directed to take an elevator up to the top floor those set of elevators operated to check in at the main lobby. It was an interesting concept for the lobby to be the top floor and the views were really nice. Check-in took a little longer than necessary.

This is the first time we asked what there was to do to celebrate the New Years celebration that night. We were told, nothing much would be happening since most people would cross the border and go into Hong Kong. We were told there was a bar district and that the hotel itself had a bar (The Penthouse) which we could go to if we liked.

We took another set of elevators to get to our room. The hallways were really dark which we didn't like. The room was a unique design, we walked through a bathroom with a shower and tub right in the center of the entryway before we entered the bedroom. The glass doors and walls of the bathroom frosted over when you slid them apart, which was a feature I really liked because it kept the bathroom nice and bright. I also liked the automatic lighting and dimming switches right next to the bed and the automatic curtains as well.

Before we went to explore the area, we asked hotel staff again to confirm something to do for the night. We were assured most people went to Hong Kong and that the Penthouse would be open if we would like.

After dinner, we went to the main Lobby, to take another set of elevators to the Penthouse. As we were waiting for the elevators, the staff at the desk asked us if we had reservations. We were informed that without reservations we weren't getting in to the Lounge. It was already 11:30pm. What could we do? We then went to ask Concierge for the bar district, who also tried to tell us about the Penthouse. We asked maybe other hotels in the area would have another lounge, but When we told them we didn't have reservations, they seemed shocked. I tried to give a complaint to another staff member, who also suggested we visit the Penthouse. I lost it a little bit at this point. Why would they tell guests who are asking for something to do and clearly do NOT have reservations anywhere to go to a place that is already fully booked. The staff all seemed really lost on what to say, do, or remedy this. They didn't even seem to think this was a problem at all.

At 11:50 We finally just went down to ground floor and asked for a map and directions to the bar district. After we were given this, we were told getting a taxi at this time would be impossible and walking there would be unsafe. This was just so frustrating! All the staff gave us more information than necessary, but none of it was relevant or useful to us in the end.

We walked around the outdoor area for awhile, then went back to the room. Happy New Year!

We did use the heated pool. The staff there were also nice. The jacuzzi in the changing rooms was so hot neither my sister, nor I could even get in past our ankles. The showers and amenities were nice. There is also a swimsuit dryer which was helpful since we were checking out that day.

Overall, I would stay here again, but I hope the service will have improved by then and hopefully the staff more trained and informed by then as well. The multiple elevators was also a little annoying especially if you're traveling with people with disabilities or who have trouble walking, but I don't think that can be fixed.

Room Tip: if English speaker, ask for English speaking staff
  • Stayed: December 2010