“Did not like at all”

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Did not like at all”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Animals are in poor condition, regretted after few minutes walking there and see those poor things with lousy conditions. i recommend not to go!

Visited June 2014

• Turkish first
Almere, The Netherlands
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great way to get real close to tigers and lions!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Based on the reviews here I visited the Zoo with a friend. The fastest way to get to the zoo from the city center is by subway to "University Town". From there either walk (15 min), take bus 43 or taxi (6 min). Entrance fee was 200 CNY.

The park is quite large and divided into sections. When you head for the park's center, you have the option to take the wildlife trip by a barred van. It'll cost you 50 CNY and the trip takes about 15-20 minutes. It drives through giant electrified gates (makes me think of the movie Jurassic Park) and then meet some tigers, lions up close and personal. The only thing between you and them are just the metal bars of the van. You can literally feel their breath. You will have several opportunities to feed them with pieces of chicken meat that is provided on a large stick. If you're lucky you'll get a van full of people in which case you have more opportunity to see and photograph/film the animals.

There is also the possibility to hold little baby tigers and feed them, pet them and get on picture with them. However, during our visit there were no baby tigers thus it was not an option.

Behind the Wildlife trip lies a walkway that goes up where you can see all the tigers, lions, and will also pass the bears area where you can see them swim, take a nap etc. You can buy some bread to feed the bears.

Rest of the Zoo is quite big. One can easily spend 3-4 hours before you see everything. Make sure to avoid the weekends, that way its less crowded.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank AirtjE
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Kids loved it, and we loved it too !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

We loved this Zoo with some safari experience thrown in. Kids enjoyed it thoroughly and couldn't stop smiling all day.

You can choose to see whole of the zoo on foot but with young kids we weren't sure if they will last the whole day. We took a horse cart ride (extra fee) to go for a circle around the zoo. Once done, we selected the parts that we wanted to see closely again.

This is a well designed zoo with areas of rest and food stalls at regular intervals. There are many free shows. We enjoyed the parrots show, dolphins show and some others. Kids can ride on elephants, feed lions (more on that below), hold a python around them, though all these are paid activities.

What we all loved most was a ride in big cats enclosure. For an extra fee, you can go in lions/tigers area in a van with wire meshes all around. Van take a circuitous route in the enclosure stopping close to lions, tigers, and ligers. You are given meat on a skewer to feed them. Tiger stands up on its hinds legs with those huge paws right at your face level and opens its mouth to gulp food. This is an experience not to be missed.

If you are a Hong Kong resident, look for amazing deals on Group-on which have heavily discounted tickets for Shenzhen zoo.

Visited April 2014
HONG KONG
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Totally beyond expectation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

My 6-year-old just loves animals. Unfortunately, there is no zoo in Hong Kong, so I constantly find myself visiting zoos when we do out-of-town trips. I have been to quite a few in Japan, Thailand, Singapore, China, Australia, and Taiwan.

I give this zoo a 5 star because it is so close to Hong Kong - you can literally do it as a day trip. Apparently, there is a bus service from Hong Kong going directly to the zoo, but I am not sure if they just run on weekends. Otherwise, it is a 4-star zoo. I thought about going to Chimelong in Panyu near Guangzhou (which we have been to twice), but it's just too far away. If you are not doing their theme park and water park, it is just too big a hassle to go all the way there.

The Shenzhen wildlife zoo have all the major animals that a child would be interested in. Most of the land herbivores are housed separately, enclosed in a reasonably big open space. We are just separated from the animals by a fence. You walk through a bridge to gaze down at the carnivores. Birds are housed in cages.

This zoo is quite clean and reasonably well-maintained (unlike the Guangzhou City Zoo which is dismal and the zoo in Phuket). The grounds are not as extensive as Chimelong, but still VERY big. We plowed the place for 3 hours and still didn't get to see everything, and we already skipped the show and the birds. We just hurried by the petting zoo. If you are going with a child, you definitely need about 5 hours to do it justice (although your feet will be very sore by then.)

The big draw for my kids are feeding the giraffes, zebras and elephants. There are a few other animals that you can feed, but we just didn't have the time. I was hoping to get to hold a baby tiger as another reviewer had. However, we had to forego that since we had...no time.

I also like the monkeys very much. There is a wide array of facilities in their enclosure, so the monkeys were REALLY lively. As a person not particular to apes, I also found it very fascinating. If you can read Chinese, they have signs providing lots of interesting facts about the major animals (you can tell by the size of their enclosure).

We went on a Saturday afternoon, but the place wasn't crowded at all (to my surprise). I guess it is not as much a tourist draw. The ticket is quite expensive at RMB200 for an adult, but a child under 120 cm gets to go in for free. When we left the zoo, we found that there were actually people selling tickets at RMB70! I guess those are the staff, but you have to ask them to take you inside before you pay them.

I would most definitely go to this zoo again. If you happen to be in Shenzhen or if you live in Hong Kong, take your kids to go there.

Visited April 2014
4 Thank elmostoney
HK
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

great zoo by Chinese standards!
great feeding the bears and the lions,tigers! good mix of animals!
have been three times now and love visiting! will be back!
ligers are awesome!