“A wonderful anniversary day” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ascott Maillen Shenzhen

Ascott Maillen Shenzhen
Ranked #27 of 2,744 Hotels in Shenzhen
Hong Kong, China
“A wonderful anniversary day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

My wife and I went to the hotel to celebrate our anniversary. It was not the first time we stayed at the hotel/ serviced apartment of this group. The overall experience is great. The rooms are spacious and well equipped. At the same price, we enjoyed larger space compared with the other hotels. The environment is unexpectedly good. The most inspired thing was that, when the staff knew it was our anniversary, they prepared us a bottle of wine and a card with greetings signed by hotel staff. We think it is so sweet.
I am sure that I will stay at this property again and when we plan for our trips in future, this group will be one of our top choices.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TOK T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

I enjoyed a 2 week stay here in October-November 2013.
I was upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment since their 1 bedroom apartments was sold out. I really enjoyed the apartment and the accommodations.

My only negative remarks would have to be that a lot of work was being done on the property which was a bit noisy and I was missing water a couple of days - at daytime.
AND - the breakfast. It was not of a western standard and quality. Example: The bacon was not real bacon.
However, I really did enjoy my stay here. Actually planning on booking a months stay here within the next week or so.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Greece, Athens
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed at the hotel for one night. Upon arrival and check-in I went to the room that was a total mess! No sheets on the beds, towels thrown everywhere etc. I called the reception, told them the room was a mess and after 5 mins they brought me the key to another room that was prepared and ready ! Not happy about it, especially after a long trip.
Room was good. Free wi-fi was totally hopeless, however with the Lan cable provided at the room there was descent internet.
I visited the gym that was ok, there was an indoor pool also beside that I did not use. Smell of chlorine was far too strong.
Buffet breakfast was poor.
Hotel is close to the seaworld area with plenty of bars and restaurants and some more new and modern hotels nearby.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Louis T, General Manager at Ascott Maillen Shenzhen, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We regret that this incident left you with a negative impression. I wish to extend to you my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. We acknowledge the discomfort you have experienced in the apartments due to the cleaning standard and I had personally addressed this error with the Housekeeping Department.

I hope that you will reconsider staying with us or any of our other serviced residence, giving us another opportunity to serve you better.
Singapore, null, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Book for 3 days for this hotel and they upgrade me to 1 bed room apartment. The Apartment is more than I expected, its clean with a calming color pallet.
Its a nice and quiet surrounding, but also walking distance to sea world where there's a lot of shops and eateries and 5 minutes to Shekou ferry terminal.
The Staff is very friendly and helpful, they can help you to book a ferry ticket from Shekou to Hongkong Airport.
The only thing that I feel need to upgrade is their breakfast, not many choices and no variations in 3 days I stay there.
But over all, its very recommended to stay here if you visiting Shenzhen and definitely I will come back to this hotel if I am visiting Shenzen again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Louis T, General Manager at Ascott Maillen Shenzhen, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
We are glad that you had an enjoyable stay. I have shared your compliments with my colleagues. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

The hotel is located not too far from the metro station 'Haishangshijie'. Actually there are several similar hotels around that place, where I find that Ascott is nearly the newest-opened hotel among them. The most amazing thing is the bathtub in the room and the balcony with the view of mount and sea(which wasn't mentioned when I made the booking). But there also are some tiny problems. The breakfast cost too much while it may not worth that price. And I didn't see any 'service' but still be charged 'service fee'.
Generally speaking, Ascott is a really nice place to stay and it does meet my expectations.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing Ascott Maillen Shenzhen as your accommodation during your holiday in Shenzhen. It is always encouraging for us to learn that our valuable residents are satisfied with our service. We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Staat the penthouse apartment for 2 nights in early Jan 2014.

I have got to say I was a quite disappointed with the apartment.
First of all, if you travel to Shenzhen by train from Hong Kong, it’s an hour taxi ride from the train station, if you go by ferry – only 5 minute away from Ascott.

Staff were friendly but I was quite surprised but the décor of the apartments and lobby.
When we first arrived at Ascott, noticed the lobby was huge but surprised they didn’t turn on the lights, really made the place very dim and gloomy. Once assisted to the service apartment, first thing I noticed was room did not match the pictures on the website.

The website photo shopped the rooms, the colours used in the rooms were very dull, was more brown colours and although furniture in pictures is all correct placing, the use of space and lighting in reality was poor. Really thought the design of the apartment made the room feel cheap.
Price was like the same for a 5 star hotel suite in China, and I was disappointed from what I got to the price I paid.

Walking from apartment to lobby, was quite a far walk, understandable since it’s a large complex, but walking through the public areas, the lack of decorations and cleanliness again reinforced what a poorly maintained complex this was. Again use of lighting was poor, and like many hotels, they had little ponds as décor around the edges of the walk ways, doesn’t seem like the water or pond has been either changed or cleaned in years.

Another lesson learnt, you must put the Do not disturb sign on the door, a lady knocked on the door to ask for laundry service early in the morning, in which no answer they then proceeded to enter the apartment and then enter the bedroom to wake you up to ask you. Was surprised and just annoyed at this.
Also, maintenance work, such as hammering and steam cleanning of couches was done in the morning and woke me up a few times.

Little things either compliment the hotel or add just add more to disappointment, in which this case did exactly that. I would not be staying here in the future.

In the same breathe, to be fair, I can see family stays here more suitable, there is a lot of space in the apartments, just don’t expect the rooms to be as appealing as it looks from the pictures in the website.

Room Tip: Stayed in the penthouse 2 BDR in building six, wasnt anything that special, probably better value st...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Onnehc
We read with much concern about the unpleasant experience you encountered during your previous stay with us.

Please allow us to explain that the interiors of our apartments seen in the photographs on our websites were presented in best light during professional photography whilst using existing furnishings. They are intended only as general illustrations. All specifications, floor plans and details are for guidance only and are subject to change.

Once again, we apologize that we were unable to make you feel more at home and comfortable. We would have loved to be able to address your concerns while you were here and had the chance to make your stay more pleasant. We hope that you would reconsider staying with us again, giving us another opportunity to serve you better.
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Hotel is situated on the hill just about 500 meters from Sea World in Shekou. It is close but still far from noise and hustle of the city.
Rooms are excellent, shower could have been bit better, but it is workable. Bed is comfortable. Room temperature is independent of the temperature controller provided, maybe the temperature controller works only in summers, as the temperature did not go below 23.5 degrees, where as my preferred temperature is 20 degrees. Breakfast spread is adequate.
Overall a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank VipanSharma
Thank you for your compliments about our serviced residence during your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed our facilities and service. We hope you will stay with us again.