“Great Location, very clean, great staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ascott Maillen Shenzhen

Ascott Maillen Shenzhen
Ranked #27 of 2,744 Hotels in Shenzhen
“Great Location, very clean, great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Only one disappointment, I booked this hotel for myself and my son for 6 days through Hotels.com. When I booked it, it said free breakfast (Its never really free but inclusive in the price is always useful compared to not knowing what breakfast will cost) On arrival I was told the the free breakfast was for one person only. I have looked on the Hotels.com website and it doesn't say this anywhere so I feel slightly conned, 50RMB per day or £5GBP in English money is not a lot but it was irritating to what otherwise was a perfect stay at a lovely hotel. The breakfast is a buffet affair with choice of Chinese foods English cooked (Dont expect proper English bacon or sausages but the eggs are fried while you wait) fruit, yoghurts, hams, toast, or a selection of pastries and croissants. The air conditioned room was lovely with a balcony and a bathroom/wetroom with a power shower, firm comfortable beds, free wifi in the room, nice TV with some movie channels. The Hotel itself was very clean, all the staff are really friendly, always smiling, and very helpful.
The location is also very good, Sea World is a 5 minute walk down the road, with many restaurants and coffee shops, there's a Seven Eleven just outside the hotel with a good stock of essentials, the town itself has a good selection of fancy goods shops, tailors, and clothes shops we found better bargains than can be found at Lohu without the bartering. The Metro station is also only 5 minutes away, and the whole of Shenzhen can be reached easily and very cheaply. Sea world is a relatively new complex and is a lively place in the evenings, there is plenty to see do. Overall I think this hotel is very good I would have said excellent if it had not been for the free breakfast that wasn't free.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Taizhou, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel for almost 2 weeks, in an executive studio. The room was very spacious, and had everything that was needed for the Business Traveller or holidaymaker.
The Hotel / Apartment complex is very clean and modern, and reasonably priced compared to some other hotels in Shekou. It is only 5 minutes walk from sea world, with many shops and restaurants. It is also very convenient for the Ferry to Hong Kong.
The Breakfasts are also excellent, many different types of food, that I am sure no one could complain about.
A vey enjoyable stay. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: I am sure every room would be acceptable.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ALAN P
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed in a studio room, it was so nice, I loved the design and the bathroom! It has a modern feel, just as the whole place. Located uphill a 15 minutes walk from the metro station, I can't say location is so great but reasonable. In the same area with the metro there is a bar street, I went to a nice tapas bar with live band music, it was so cool!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank arashicchan
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

When I reached the hotel lobby, I like the luxury and zen touch to the overall ambiance. The lobby looks spacious and inviting. I also like the lotus-design seats at the lobby, although they look more comfortable the looks.

During my check in, the hotel staff gave me a free upgrade, which came as a pleasant surprise. When I reached my room, I like the overall design. The room was spacious, comfortable, homely with a luxury touch to it. Also, I like the balcony. What I really love most was the rain shower bathroom with L'occitane bathroom amenities. The sky window design added a nice, romantic touch as there was moon light at night.

What I feel can be improved:
1. The swimming pool seems to be operated by an external vendor, and there were kids learning to swim. The decor and feel of the gym and swimming pool appear to be different from Ascott residences.
2. The quality of the breakfast needs to improve. I was making my way to the cakes when I noticed flies swarming on top of them. Having said that, the price was good.

Overall, the stay was very pleasing and comfortable. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

My wife and I went to the hotel to celebrate our anniversary. It was not the first time we stayed at the hotel/ serviced apartment of this group. The overall experience is great. The rooms are spacious and well equipped. At the same price, we enjoyed larger space compared with the other hotels. The environment is unexpectedly good. The most inspired thing was that, when the staff knew it was our anniversary, they prepared us a bottle of wine and a card with greetings signed by hotel staff. We think it is so sweet.
I am sure that I will stay at this property again and when we plan for our trips in future, this group will be one of our top choices.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TOK T
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

I enjoyed a 2 week stay here in October-November 2013.
I was upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment since their 1 bedroom apartments was sold out. I really enjoyed the apartment and the accommodations.

My only negative remarks would have to be that a lot of work was being done on the property which was a bit noisy and I was missing water a couple of days - at daytime.
AND - the breakfast. It was not of a western standard and quality. Example: The bacon was not real bacon.
However, I really did enjoy my stay here. Actually planning on booking a months stay here within the next week or so.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Greece, Athens
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed at the hotel for one night. Upon arrival and check-in I went to the room that was a total mess! No sheets on the beds, towels thrown everywhere etc. I called the reception, told them the room was a mess and after 5 mins they brought me the key to another room that was prepared and ready ! Not happy about it, especially after a long trip.
Room was good. Free wi-fi was totally hopeless, however with the Lan cable provided at the room there was descent internet.
I visited the gym that was ok, there was an indoor pool also beside that I did not use. Smell of chlorine was far too strong.
Buffet breakfast was poor.
Hotel is close to the seaworld area with plenty of bars and restaurants and some more new and modern hotels nearby.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Louis T, General Manager at Ascott Maillen Shenzhen, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We regret that this incident left you with a negative impression. I wish to extend to you my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. We acknowledge the discomfort you have experienced in the apartments due to the cleaning standard and I had personally addressed this error with the Housekeeping Department.

I hope that you will reconsider staying with us or any of our other serviced residence, giving us another opportunity to serve you better.