“Excellent 5-Star Resort for a Tranquil Retreat”
Review of Castle Golf Hotel

Castle Golf Hotel
Ranked #50 of 2,812 Hotels in Shenzhen
Hong Kong, China
“Excellent 5-Star Resort for a Tranquil Retreat”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The room is spacious and clean, every room has a golf course cum lake view. I love the outdoor bath tub on the balcony which you can enjoy a hot bath with a wonderful sky watching at night. The spa is excellent with tranquil environment and good massage therapists at a reasonable price. Food is delicious too. The Chinese restaurant offers inexpensive dim sum which is beautifully presented. The buffet dinner is a must-try with different kinds of great food all around the world. I highly recommend the lobster congee. Make sure you reserve your seats as early as possible. The buffet breakfast is another highlight which provides a wide range of choices; the fresh brewed coffee is an encouragement for you to start the day. The soft drinks and snacks in your room are all complimentary! After filling your stomach, you may enjoy a jogging at the beautiful garden or do some exercises at their gym. You may also practice in the driving range before playing the golf.

Getting to the resort is not difficult. Take the Shenzhen Metro to Da Yun Station. Get a taxi at Exit B. It takes only 10mins and RMB20. Please note that this resort is an enclave, it is not recommended to go around Shenzhen while you stay in. It is a good place for a relaxing retreat from the busy city life. They offer very good price for a stay and I definitely recommend this hotel for others!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MikeKwan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Just stayed 3 nights at this great hotel, rooms very spacious with added bonus of hot tub on balcony. Staff extremely pleasant and helpful throughout the hotel. Food choice a little limited but did not go hungry! Outside grounds very pretty to walk through or just sit and enjoy. Will definitely stay here on my next trip to this area.

Room Tip: All rooms face over the golf course so very quiet with great views
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lynne A
Shenzhen
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This is a nice facility with nice rooms. I had a duplex room on 7th floor and it was beautiful and had everything needed and a very nice wiev. BUT, the service was not at top. We sat down, 8 people, at the lobby bar and ordered drinks. We waited and another 4 people sat down at another table, They placed their order and got their drinks. When I asked for ours they said coming soon. After 20 minutes we where told, again, coming soon. After 30 minutes we where asked to order again. We came in a bit late, around 14:00 and wanted to have lunch. The lunch bufe was out but we came 1 minute late so we could not have the bufe. Even when there still where people eating from the bufe.
They have a scheduled shuttle bus that brings guests to a nearby shopping center and the subway station. We had breakfast and checked the schedule for the shuttle bus and the 11:00 bus was what we needed. When we start to checked out and asked where the bus should depart we where told it was cancelled. No reason why. Next one should be at 13:00. We took our room keys back and waited until 13:00. Checked out just to find out that the bus might be 30 min late as they have rented the bus to other guests to go somewhere. No need to tell you that the bus was not there at 13:30. A friend took his car around and brought us to the subway station.

My friend who held a wedding reception at the hotel wanted to arrange a BBQ for his friends. The staff said ok and then just forgot about it. Around 25 guests where without BBQ.

So, a nice facility but be prepaired for surprises.

Room Tip: The duplex on 7th floor was realy nice.,
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anders P
Hong Kong
Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

We found this hotel quite a nice city break from Shenzhen. It is located in Longgang, around 30 mins away from downtown Shenzhen, you may also take the subway to Ailian station and changed to a taxi.

It is a lot closer to Longgang town center than we thought, yet, we felt far from urban nuisance when staying inside. I would say, this hotel is worth considering for short city breaks or offsite business conferences.

We were a bit hesitated when doing the booking, since the management is a local company (same as the golf course). After reading the online reviews, we decided to give it a try, we are glad making this call.

The room is exactly as shown on the website, spacious with comfy beds. They also offer you a choice of pillows.

All rooms have balconies facing the golf course, which buffers you away from the noisy city.

Besides golfing, there are also a lot of activities for you, without the need for going out, like SPA, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, gym, an ancient house that you can visit freely. For golfers, they have a nice driving range, besides the 18 holes around the lake.

Dining options are ample too, including a Chinese restaurant,
a hot pot restaurant, a Japanese restaurant and a all day western one. Foods are not outstanding, but give you the convenience.

The plantation around the hotel, as well as the ambience are done nicely, giving you a tropical resort feeling. We hope that they can keep it up with the maintenance.

• Stayed May 2013
Penang
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Location: In the middle of the growing sub-city/district of Longgang.
Setup: Fancy, with huge grand high ceilings & the new furniture still at certain sections of the corridor.
If not mistaken, they are in business only since 2011.

Now for the bad:
Location: Thought easy for me to dodge the trafic (and it's more 'mild-mannered' if you compared to the yahoos in the CBD) when travelling to the suppliers site. There isn't much to do on the weekends unless you're a golfer.
Setup: Staff here hardly speak a word of English, frequentl having to run around looking for someone who does. After an almost 10 hour flight from Sydney, almost 2 hours in trafic, was made to wait because somehow my reservations from my company travel agent did not get thru. I offered for them to take me as a walk-in customer to speed things along but was still made to wait almost 1/2 an hours while they call high and low to confirm my reservation. Kept insisting that my travel printout is not valid, I explain thats fine and to treat me like a walk-in, went back calling again. Process repeated for numerous times until finally was able to check into room. That also with a sour face sending me off! Wanted to complain to the manager, but he's equally incapable of understanding much English!

Would I stay here again? "May have no choice as it's near to my vendor."
Will I stay over the weekend? "Hell - NO!"
Will I stay here on my own? "Have you been listening?"

Room Tip: Try to request one away from the lily/lotus pond. If you open the balcony, it's a mosquito fest...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Hong Kong
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Stayed here for a business seminar - as well as a round of golf - and have to say I was pretty impressed.

The rooms are of a very decent standard - they do 'brag' about their Sony flatscreens, but I thought the bed was the real standout; far more comfortable than most hotels in China of this standard.

My Mandarin is, quite frankly, abysmal and while the staff here weren't expert English speakers, they did try and get to the heart of whatever request/problem I had. My slightly better Cantonese helped a little, but I think even complete non-Chinese speakers would have few issues staying here.

They do a rather grand buffet option for dinner - think oysters, lobster etc - and although I stayed away from the seafood, the food was generally of a very good standard. Breakfast, too, was comparable to most 'five'-star hotels on the mainland. Coffee (proper ground stuff) was a godsend.

Would I stay here again? Yes, if I had to be at this golf club. The environment was good and I enjoyed myself. While it's not a long trek into Longgang, it isn't convenient for exploring Shenzhen proper, and the local nightlife scene is, as far as I can make out, pretty nonexistent. A couple of us went to the nearby Crowne Plaza Longgang and the bar there was really rather quiet (although an almighty din coming from a big group pre-Chinese New Year dinner downstairs.

A quick word on the golf course: I played the A Course, and it was in pretty decent condition. A few quality holes, plenty of water, and some interesting stretches. It is rather tight in other parts though and some of the greens are insanely contoured but it's a decent workout.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business