“Exceptional Service”

Ranked #8 of 2,781 Hotels in Shenzhen
SINGAPORE
“Exceptional Service”
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here during a business trip. The room is very well equipped with all the modern touches, and nicely decorated. This is probably one of the tallest hotels in China, you get a nice panoramic view of the city, and could even see Hong Kong on a clear day. This is a very good business hotel in a convenient location, it is the good butler service that stands out. I fell sick on my first day there and the attentive butler even offered to get me some medicine. The very good service I received here regained my confidence on the St Regis chain in China. I will choose to stay here on my next trip to Shenzhen. Hopefully I will have time to use the very well equipped gym and the good size swimming pool at my next visit.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SPAFAN711
The ST Regis S, Manager at The St. Regis Shenzhen, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at The St. Regis Shenzhen and sharing your pleasant experience with us. At The St. Regis Shenzhen, every effort will be made to provide you with bespoke and uncompromising services. We are very proud to have made your stay comfortable. I very much appreciate your kind words and we sincerely look forward to welcoming you back with us at The St. Regis Shenzhen in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

Background - this is a shiny, relatively new hotel and I was keen to test it out and to see whether the hotel had the clout to snatch away my loyalty to the Ritz Carlton Shenzhen.

I'm a SPG Gold member and booked the room through the Amex Platinum FHR program.

Arrival - walked into the ground floor entrance. I had luggage with me and was pretty clear that I was a hotel guest (not a restaurant customer). The lift and lobby layout is not altogether easy to understand so I would have expected a member of staff to assist me within seconds.

Unfortunately none of that - I looked around for 5-10 seconds and no one bothered to make eye contact, despite two members of staff were standing in front of the lift and doing nothing. Disappointing (for a St Regis, fine for a Sheraton).

Same situation again on arrival at 96/F. A seemingly lost customer but did not receive assistance until asked (which is my view is too late - again judging this hotel as a St Regis, not a Sheraton).

Checkin - first grumble - no privacy. Two guests share a checkin table. I think this is way too cosy for its own good. Guests often have individual things they might wish to convey / have person details being asked and do not want to be heard by another guest. Pretty disastrous arrangement.

As a SPG gold and a Amex FHR guest I would have expected some degree of special treatment. I received the bare minimum. Had to "fight" for an upgrade, no one offered the Malt lounge access to us (which I would have thought is a nice gesture). Did not seem aware of my SPG status until being prompted. No one showed me to my room or lift.

Just to contrast this with my recent stay at the Ritz Carlton Shenzhen - VIP treatment - felt that they were expecting me, multiple grade upgrades offered without having to ask, a member of their GRO team rushed out to welcome me, showed us to our room and introduced the facilities to us. Perpsnalised welcome note. This is what I would expect from the St Regis as well. This St Regis falls miles behind - I felt like it was a (North American) Sheraton type of check in experience at best.

Room - the hotel's relative redeeming feature is its hardware - room is pretty nice and has a nice view and is brand new. Butler service was solid (though not exceptional), I generally addressed by name. Generally happy.

St Regis bar - disastrous? The staff seem pretty lost. A few disappointments:

- gin and tonic - but with a slice of lemon? Lime or cucumber please!
- menus that were tacky - I didn't even want to touch them
- iPad wine lists - extremely tack iPad leather covers - again I didn't want to touch it
- magazines that had ripped pages
- we ordered food - no concept of a napkin? We had to ask. Come one - pretty basic to offer napkin or tissues or something similar whenever food is ordered(!!)
- it was 230pm and an elderly cleaner was sweeping the floor next to us with a tacky broomstick. Are you sure???! St Regis? Just doesn't fit my concept of a 5 star brand.

Elba - relative redeeming feature after an initial disappointing afternoon. Generally fine, competent staff, decent food. Though again, nothing special. One obvious lacking feature - would you mind making an effort to introduce the food - this is meant to be a (quasi) fine dining place and I would expect at least a 10 second quick introduction to each dish and some chit chat and bonding with guests. Unfortunately none of that at all. Just some very cold service.

Decanter - maybe it was too early (around 9pm) but when we checked it out, it was unimpressive in terms of mood and venue. Again - lots of members of staff hanging around, but no one ever comes and asks you if you need anything. We decided not to drink here.

Verdict - maybe I came in with high expectations and was, at the outset here to compare it with the Ritz Carlton Shenzhen experience that I recently had, but this hotel is a relative disappointment.

In some areas it was disastrous, in some areas it was good (hardware, room, butler service - which you would expect to be solid for a new hotel). This hotel does not have a soul. No one seems to want to anticipate your needs or to make you feel special.

If you are a fan of outstanding service and attitude (think Ritz Carlton, Mandarin Oriental style personal touches) - stay away for now. If you are a fan of solid hardware, nice views, fancy new buildings then this might well be your preferred choice in Shenzhen. But otherwise, please stick with the Ritz Carlton, at least until the St Regis Shenzhen learns how to make their guests feel special.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank HK0210
The ST Regis S, Manager at The St. Regis Shenzhen, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear guest, thank you for sharing your experience on your recent stay with us. We apologise that you did not get the bespoke hospitality experience during your last stay with us and we ensure that we will continuously engage in trainings to establish new heights in our associate engagement and guest loyalty. We thank you for your constructive feedback and we hope to be able to welcome you back to The St. Regis Shenzhen. Do allow us to provide you with the personalized and memorable experience which we are committed to providing to all our guests.
St. Johns, MI
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Me and Husband had a business meeting in Shenzhen and we spend one night in St. Regis Shenzhen. The room facility is awesome! I like the butler service. The breakfast is memorable. The only one thing make me embarrass in front of my friends is--As a SPG Premium Member, we were informed that cannot use the longue. As the Guest Service Girl who standing in the lobby think we are not hotel guest. She did not even ask. Beside this, everything is perfect. I do recommend this hotel for business travelers.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
The ST Regis S, Manager at The St. Regis Shenzhen, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for choosing to stay at The St. Regis Shenzhen and sharing your pleasant experience with us. At The St. Regis Shenzhen, every effort will be made to provide you with bespoke and uncompromising services. Besides, SPG Platinum members are allowed to use the Malt for Happy Hour, any additional guests after 2 pax will be charged accordingly. We apologise that our associates did not recognize or confirm that you are a in-house guest, we will ensure that we continue to confirm with guests upon their arrival at Level 1 lobby. We sincerely look forward to welcoming your next visit in near future.
worldwide
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is my second visit to this property and one that will keep me returning. Please refer to my grand opening posting for the property overview. What I like about this property is that it is a great alternative to the older overcrowded Hong Kong SPG properties. Plus at no charge the hotel will transport you from the Shenzhen airport. I’d like to make this review about the staff. From the moment you arrive and throughout check-in you are truly made to feel like the most important guest in the hotel. I recommend including their breakfast when booking your room. It is abundant and delicious. Each morning I saw the head chef walking around the serving stations giving assessments and directing the staff. In addition the dinning host delivered our made to order eggs at our table rather than having to stand around waiting for the cooked product. I usually don’t eat dessert in the morning but the chocolate confections won me over. Lastly a Five Star service award to Karim Amrqoui, Guest service manager. He ultimately made our stay over the top. For SPG members they are trying to give us corner rooms. This affords you not only jaw dropping views from the living and sleeping rooms but also from the sink, bath and separate shower. If you have any concerns don’t wait until it’s a problem pick up the phone and let the staff know. They seem trained to deliver over the top service. Again a special thanks to Karim for going the extra mile to make our stay perfect. I am confident you will find his contact as pleasant as ours."

Room Tip: Corner room or try the duplex
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank livesinhotels
The ST Regis S, Manager at The St. Regis Shenzhen, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for choosing to stay at The St. Regis Shenzhen and sharing your pleasant experience with us. At The St. Regis Shenzhen, every effort will be made to provide you with bespoke and uncompromising services. We sincerely look forward to welcoming your next visit in near future.
Livermore, California
Reviewed 26 November 2013

From the moment I first arrived to the moment I departed, there was never a moment when I didn't feel like the staff was over the top accommodating. I've stayed in many world class hotels all through Asia including the Ritz, Intercontinental, Hyatt Regency, 4 Seasons etc. This hotel matches or in many cases exceeds that level.

Rooms: I was upgraded to a "fortune" room upon check in. It was also mentioned that I was given a corner room and that it was a bit smaller than the other "Fortune" style rooms. The offer was then made to switch rooms the next night if I wasn't satisfied. I very nice gesture indeed however the room I was given was perfect in every way. Wonderful views and modern technology that reveals anything I've seen in a hotel.

Food: Included in my package was the breakfast buffet and although I am Never a fan of breakfast buffets, this one was really good. You can really tell a lot about attention to detail at a high end Asian hotel by the quality of their breakfast buffet. As crazy as that sounds it's true. Without exception the food quality here is as good as anything you'll find in the US. Big kudos go out to Rauiri the food and beverage manager who made me feel quite at home every morning. I did not get the chance to try out any other restaurants inside the facility but I did have a chance to meet the chef at the Elba Italian Restaurant and regret I was unable to make time for a dinner there on this trip.

Fitness Room: Small but accommodating with an adequate amount of equipment and free weights to satisfy a weight-lifting exerciser like myself.

Spa: Took in a 90 minute bath soak/massage one afternoon and again a wonderful time. Grace did a fantastic job and it was just what the doctor ordered to rejuvenate the body after a long flight.

Nightlife: I was a regular at the Decanter on the 100th floor nightly and again, the staff were simply terrific and very friendly.

Prices: Room rates were fine, food and beverage costs are high. However if there was ever a case to be made of "you get what you pay for" ............. this was it.

Concierge: I really appreciate attentive and knowledgeable concierges and will use them often for guidance. Upon my departure, and to my surprise, one of the staff personally escorted me 2 blocks to the train station, and helped purchase my ticket to HK. Wow !

Conclusion: If you don't have anything but a fantastic experience in THIS hotel, you need to look no further then the image looking back at you in the mirror to find the reason. Excellent job St. Regis Shenzhen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope to return soon.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
The ST Regis S, Manager at The St. Regis Shenzhen, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for choosing to stay at The St. Regis Shenzhen and sharing your pleasant experience with us. At The St. Regis Shenzhen, every effort will be made to provide you with bespoke and uncompromising services. We are very proud to have made your stay comfortable. I very much appreciate your kind words. At the same time, we will continuously provide the 5 stars service in order to assure a consistent pleasant experience. We look forward to welcoming you back with us at The St. Regis Shenzhen in the near future.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 19 October 2013

The first time I stayed here it was a so-so experience. It was Christmas eve and I went to enjoy their buffet however they raised the price 5x but kept the same menu! Thats very selfish & greedy. It is one of the nicer places in Shenzhen however so is Grand Hyatt or OCT Harbor Mariott Executive suites I love that place a lot.

Anyways if you have FU money and don't care and want to be part of the Rich crowd in SZ this is the place to stay. The nightclub is impressive and be sure to get an executive package their food is some of the best in SZ and the private executive club lounge food+bar is the best I have had in China. Even better than the Ritz Carlton in HK!

Room Tip: all of the rooms are great no need to upsize to a different suite save the $ and get the exec packag...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
The ST Regis S, Manager at The St. Regis Shenzhen, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Actually for last year Christmas eve, we had the lucky draw and the buffet increase a lot of seafood such as lobsters. Not only including the champagne, but also free float all the selected wines and other beverage. So the price is higher than other dates. Thank you for your comments and we are definitely will consider your comments for this year’s pricing.Be well!
LA
Reviewed 16 October 2013

St. Regis, shenzhen is one the best hotels in China. Top of lines hotel, excellent customer service. Every time I stay in St. Regis shenzhen, I feel I stay home. By the way, a lot nice and pretty girls working here ^_^ Check it out ...^_^...

• Stayed October 2013
The ST Regis S, Manager at The St. Regis Shenzhen, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for choosing The St. Regis Shenzhen duiring your trip. Many thanks for sharing your stay experience with us and leave the precious comments, especially your praise towards our sevice. We do welcome you come back to hotel again! Be well!