“Outstanding food and service”

The Venice Raytour Hotel Shenzhen
Ranked #36 of 2,786 Hotels in Shenzhen
Hong Kong
“Outstanding food and service”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Being a family vacation away from Hong Kong, I chose this hotel based on its' proximity to Happy Valley Theme Park and other attractions in the Nanshan district. The location cannot be beat--it's 3 minute walk to both Happy Valley and Windows of the World and is also near the Holiday Plaza Shopping mall which has a skating rink and a supermarket in the basement floor. There is also a monorail which circles around the entire area which I thought was fun. Most of the hotels in this area are fancier hotels such as the Westin, Hyatt and Intercontinental but are much more expensive than the Venice.

The Venice hotel service is certainly 5 star with a very high standard of English. I had no problems at all when ordering room service or calling to the front desk with questions. The staff is very friendly and the atmosphere of the hotel is very festive (my children really enjoyed the Christmas theme and there was even a Santa in the lobby). They also enjoyed the indoor swimming pool. But most remarkable was the quality of the restaurants in this hotel. The standard was on a par with Hong Kong but with more generous portions. The first night we tried the all you can eat teppanyaki/sushi in the Japanese restaurant--it's a great deal for 228RMB and the food was all excellent--highly recommend the grilled prawns and the sashimi. The 2nd night we tried the Blue Italian Grill, which again was surprisingly authentic and fresh with portions twice as big as we get in HK. The lasagna and chicken salad were really fantastic! Breakfast was also really excellent with many choices on the hot dishes. Also, the room service was very very nice and they wheel the food to you on a cart with a heated box underneath to keep the food warm.

The only drawback I would say is that the rooms are a bit small and the decor a little dated. I also found a dirty towel shoved in the corner of the room when I moved one of the chairs--the maid apologized for this and the housekeeping in general was very efficient. The cleanliness could have been better as it was a bit dusty when I moved the furniture around. The locker rooms in the gym could have also been cleaner and the facilities not too modern. But for the price of the hotel I think it was very reasonable especially for the great location. Another thing I found surprising was that a basic 1 hour massage in the spa costs 800RMB. This seems really way too high for such a hotel! So I decided to pass on the spa. All in all, a good choice if you want to be in the centre of Nanshan district and if you like eating great food at a reasonable price.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Leslie R
Hotel M, Hotel Management at The Venice Raytour Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this review, 5 January 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your time to share your stay experience. As the first five-star Venetian themed hotel in China, we always strive to meet our guests’ expectations. We are sorry about the towel and the problem has already been communicated to our Housekeeping department. We are pleased to let you know that we have started to upgrade the décor, facilities/amenities in our guestrooms, and we have different size of rooms for each room type. Please feel free to ask for a bigger room on your next visit to us and we are sure you will have a very pleasant stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
HK
Reviewed 24 December 2012

It was my business trip in Shenzhen. I stayed this hotel for one night. It is a little bit far away but it was very quiet. The staff is very nice.
The bed is soft and comfortable.
It likes coming home.
It was my lovely stay in Shenzhen.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
We are very pleased to know that you had a memorable stay with us. All of us here work hard everyday to ensure a high level of guest experience. We sincerely anticipate your next visit to our hotel.
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Stayed here on business. This is the ex-crowne plaza, now renamed Venice Hotel. You're greeted by gondola pilots at the front entrance. Rooms and service are international standard. The decor is still very much shenzhen. trying to their best to be the next las vegas, the service is still good and i'd stay here again. rooms are large and well-appointed.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Denver, CO
Reviewed 15 December 2012

This was the third hotel of my business stay, and by far the best! I was warmly greeted at 10:00 pm by a well dressed staff member. Upon check in, I was given an upgrade at no additional charge, and was pleasantly surprised at the room. It had a separate seating area, with a half bath, and a connecting room with a full bath. I was on the tenth floor and had a great view. The bed was VERY comfortable, I was able to gain a full nights rest compared to the other hotels I had stayed at during my trip.
Since I had arrived late, I was not sure that the restaurant would be open at 11:00 pm. I was informed by the staff that dinner can be served. I ordered the Minestrone soup and was really surprised. The order did take time to arrive, but it was due to being FRESHLY made and not sitting in a can for some period. The veggies were fresh cut, the broth and bread were just as fresh. EXCELLENT! The restaurant was very clean and well laid out. Staff was friendly and prompt in service. Breakfast was just as good. The morning breakfast buffet was great. Many selections, fresh grilled veggies, many pastries, fresh juice, etc. No complaints at all.
If they keep this level of service up, I will continue to stay at this hotel moving forward.

Room Tip: The pool, gym and spa were excellent as well. I definitely will remember to bring swimming and work...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your time to share your experience with us. We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed our hotel’s facilities and services. Guest satisfaction is always the first priority in our day-to-day operations. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Grayslake, Illinois
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I have stayed at this hotel for years for many trips to south China for business travel. When it was the Crowne Plaza, it was one of the newest and nicest hotels on Shennan Road. Since then the Westin and the Intercontinental have moved in to nearby. Both are more expensive and luxurious than the Venice Hotel. Since changing its name in late 2010, I think the hotel has slipped from the standard of the IHG. While the hotel is still a bargin from our corporate rate, it is to the same level it once was being a Crowne Plaza hotel. The quality of the rooms and the service has gone down a little since that time. I still rate this hotel as "Very Good" because it still is a good value for the $, but there are other choice out there now. This hotel location beats most other western hotel location in Shenzhen. Rooms vary in size and class depending on what you get booked in. It is probably time for them to refresh the decor and aminities in the hotel to keep up the pace with other hotels in the area. The Cafe Zentro was just remolded this spring (2012) and offers a good breakfast and dinner selection for both western and Chinese food.

Room Tip: I suggest a room over looking the pool, you do get a little shocked during the nightly fireworks sho...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Hotel M, Deputy General Manager at The Venice Raytour Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this review, 9 December 2012
Thank you very much for your time writing this comment here and the highlight of our good buffet breakfast and dinner. Guest satisfaction is always our first priority, and the whole team of The Venice Hotel Shenzhen is committed to memorable services to our guests. I am pleased to let you know that we have already started upgrading our room amenities and decorations and we are making all efforts to ensure you a very pleasant stay your next visit.

Again, we appreciate it very much for your stay with us and your valuable comments. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Shenzhen!

Charles Liu
Deputy General Manager
Sydney Australia
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I have stayed at the Venice Hotel in Shenzhen several times over the past 2 years for business and have generally found it to be a very good property.
The majority of the rooms are large, clean and comfortable and the hotel restaurants are of a high standard, especially the JK Japanese (fixed price all you can eat special) and Cafe Zentro - even the room service was pretty good.
The Hotel is well located near the OCT and surrounding attractions such as Happy Valley and Window of the World. There is also a large shopping complex across the road.
The only negative I would note is the general ignoring of the non-smoking policy by many guests although when I reported this the Hotel were happy to change my room to a better & smoke free location.

Room Tip: Some king size beds are quite hard!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BBCH2014
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 October 2012

This is an excellent hotel very close to a number of theme parks and also the metro. With the Italian theme (gondolas at the entrance and around the pool) and a view of the the Eiffel Tower (within Windows of the World theme park), inside the hotel you may forget you are in China. However, the rooms are great, the beds firm but softer than in other Chinese hotels I have experienced and with wonderful pillows (with a note to advise there is a choice of other pillows if desired). A very good breakfast buffet with a good selection of western and eastern cuisine. Excellent staff who enthusiasically welcome you throughout the hotel. And the pool area is very good with the option of either swimming outdoors or indoors. Well equipped gym and very popular at the 6am opening time.

Room Tip: A room with a view over the pool gives you also a view over the Window of the World light show at ni...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Hotel M, Hotel Management at The Venice Raytour Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
Dear hideho50,

Thank you very much for staying with us.

It is our pleasure to host your recent visit to Shenzhen and we are very delighted to know that you had been pleased with the location and facilities we provided.

Your comments regarding the turndown services, pool facilities and enthusiastic employees, are highly appreciated by all of us.

We looking forward to serving you on your next visit to Shenzhen.