“Venice”

The Venice Raytour Hotel Shenzhen
Ranked #35 of 2,830 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed 22 June 2013

this hotel is quite good with a huge and a somewhat view from the room. Breakfast is not so appealing but there is a happening club at the hotel 4th floor which is quite well known in Shenzhen.... would consider for a next visit

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 May 2013

I stayed at the Venice Hotel Shenzhen during an ISO standards meeting held at the hotel. My room was very large and comfortable. It had excellent bedding and provided excellent sleep, something rather important during business travel. My room was very clean and cleaned very thoroughly on each day. The laundry service was also excellent.

My group rate included the buffet breakfast which was quite good, offering something for almost everybody including cooked-to-order omelets, fresh fruits, juices, as well as eastern and western style breakfast items.

We had group lunches in function rooms that were also fairly good; many times such bulk catering leaves much to be desired.

The internet service in the hotel was at no extra charge and in fact provided some of the highest bandwidth I have ever encountered in a hotel even during “peak hours.”

All members of the hotel staff were exceptionally friendly. However, once you get beyond the lobby staff, the English skills often left much to be desired, although the staff with poor English skills would always run off and quickly find a comrade whose English was a level or two better. At a five star hotel serving international business clientele, I would expect better performance in this particular aspect.

Complimentary bottles of “C'estbon Purified Water” are provided in each room and also are available in all meeting venues in the hotel. Why? Apparently according to a note fairly well hidden in the hotel directly in each room, the tap water in the hotel is NOT POTABLE (i.e., not safe for drinking)! If this in indeed the case, signage regarding that should be placed by the spigots in all guest room bathrooms and all common area restrooms. A better solution, though, would be for the hotel to use a reverse osmosis filtering system for all water used for cooking, dishwashing, and available at spigots for guests. This is truly a public health hazard.

Although otherwise helpful, the hotel staff tries to push its own limo service for longer distance transport to locations in Hong Kong other than the airport for fees of about $250 US-equivalent or more. Fortunately, one of the standards meeting staffers (not a Hotel employee) knew of a car service that would provide the same service for a little over half that cost.

The Venice theme is cute, but wears on you after a while. Sorry, but native Chinese dressed in Venetian gondolier uniforms in the lobby seems somewhat silly!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 May 2013

The Venice Hotel is an off shoot of The Venetian and scaled down as there are no casinos (China has a no gambling policy). It is very beautiful, posh and very baroque.

The staff there were very attentive and courteous. They checked us in and put us on the newly renovated floor. Room was very spacious, comfortable and we had a huge bed!

After checking in, we decided to go for dinner at their Café Zentro that has international buffet on the menu. Choices are pretty good though limited but in terms of seafood, there are prawns, mussels, oysters, fresh sashimi and an array of Japanese sushi. Their dessert spread is quite large and offers a variety of cakes, tarts, mousse and fruits. The dim sum was a bit disappointing and I pointed this out to the Manager, Gerry who was on duty that evening. He apologised and at the end of our meal, gave us a box of chocolates for our feedback!

Love the bed, soft comfortable except the pillows are way tad too soft that even with 2, after a while, they go quite flat. But might just suit some persons who prefer to have flat pillows! They, however, do offer harder pillows on request...

This hotel is located just directly opposite the Windows Of The World, Holiday Plaza (shopping centre) and a couple of minutes from the nearest train station. It is also approximately 30 minutes (if traffic is good) from the Shenzhen Bay Customs as well.

Everything about the hotel is beautiful, staff courteous, helpful and a great location but be careful of their auxiliary services and products and that's where the OMGosh comes in!

Firstly, the first night's buffet costs about USD50 each. We actually had another buffet dinner at the Holiday Plaza shopping centre opposite the hotel for USD35 each. This buffet has an overwhelming spread (四海一家 International Buffet located on the 3rd floor).

Secondly, while waiting for our ride the next day, we had two cups of coffee at the La Piazza and we had a bill of USD16 for both!! I can appreciate that it is a 5 star hotel but their prices are 10 stars!!!

Also, we were offered discounted breakfast which we took up on but due to a very late night, were unable to make the breakfast. Though we did not turn up, we were still charged accordingly (admittedly our fault)... We decided that in future not to take up such offers unless we are absolutely sure that we can use the offer.

All in all, we will still return to stay there but would suggest checking out neighbouring restaurants where we could potentially save more money and if you are on a tight budget...

Room Tip: Not rooms facing the Windows Of The World as there is a large traffic junction and unfortunately dri...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2013

My new favorite in Shenzhen… except for a bit of an excessive charge for coffee!

I was very happy with the room. Clean, spacious, comfortable. Stayed in Room 1002.

Location was great… very short walk to MTR. Close to very upscale shopping mall, restaurants, OCT bar area, and Windows on the World…

Only meal I had at the hotel was breakfast, and it was marginal, but acceptable. Their breakfast buffet was like most… not very Western, and not Very Chinese. Certainly big enough, and there were plenty of choices, but many of them were very similar and not particularly inspiring. (It was this boring breakfast setup that made me seek other arrangements for dinner, rather than eat at the hotel.)

Staff seem happy and eager to please. Professional.

The only real complaint I had was regarding coffee in the morning. They had a coffee maker, which seems rare in China. And they had ground coffee. But they had no filter. I tried to call down to request a filter, but it was just too hard to communicate. So I just had them send up a pot of coffee. In fact, it was so easy that I had that done every day. But to my surprise, when I checked out, I learned that it was $175 RMB per day! I had glanced at the bill when I signed it, but thought it was $17.5. Never gave it a second thought… everything is always so inexpensive in China. I ended up paying $30USD per day for coffee! Outrageous! (The room was only $850RMB, and included breakfast!) I tried talking to the manager at checkout, to see if she would be reasonable, but she wouldn’t budge. After all, as she kept pointing out, it was premium coffee! :-o

So that aside, the hotel was nice enough that I’ll be back again. Just be careful about the rip-off coffee! :-)

Stayed 4/21 - 4/26

Room Tip: Watch out for the coffee prices! :-)
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Hotel M, Hotel Management at The Venice Raytour Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time sharing your stay experience with us. We are glad to know you had a very lovely time during your stay. As the first 5-star Venice theme hotel in China, we always maintain rich Venetian culture in our hotel. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

Yes, it was fun. You should really enter into the spirit of this place. I found it by a series of errors, which I won't describe. However, I was disappointed with a cheaper property owned by the same group, and I was seeking a mid-priced alternative. I should stress that the Venice is NOT mid-priced. However, you could say it has a better price-quality ratio than the cheaper OTC properties nearby. The differences are extremely obvious. (Perhaps that is intentional? I felt the OTC group were 'squeezing' their cheaper properties far too hard, and that a good old "Home Inn" might be better value at the bargain end.) In any case, I ended up splashing out, and it was definitely worthwhile.

What do I mean? Well, it's a costume party, really. The lovely girls in long gowns, the gondoliers opening doors, the heavy gold frames, opulent elevators, a little bridge inside, water features outside and a WONDERFUL, spacious, inviting upstairs pool area (make sure the pool is open if this is important to you, as hotel pools so often seem to be under 'maintenance'); and a genuinely enjoyable, even luxurious, business centre. (Oh, and the spacious room with balcony and good old-fashioned bathtub was so nice; remember to ask for smoke-free, if you are sensitive.) As well, they managed to prepare me a simple, off-the-menu pasta dish, in the attractive lobby cafe. The downstairs grill restaurant looked very inviting, but that's not my style. It would be rather nice for a romantic dinner, I guess... far from the steel and glass tower images of so many modern hotels. Even for a coffee, it's very pleasant. The lobby menu is not imaginative, but that is everywhere these days. The building itself is a European replica and was designed to be gracious from the start. If you can afford it, and if you are not too cynical, you might just have a very lovely time here. The staff certainly went out of their way to help me (e.g. with information on border crossings to Hong Kong, which can be confusing).

Room Tip: Best ask to see the room first, before you complete all formalities. Prices will be higher for bigge...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank forgetit90
Reviewed 21 January 2013

This hotel has a really nice and special lobby in Venetian style. The staff greets you at the door and overall I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

The smoke free room was spacious and very nicely decorated, but the rather stained carpet was a disappointment and not something I expect for this kind of hotel.

The room itself was quite complete and comfortable. The big screen TV offered a variety of channels, including quite some English speaking channels, like the BBC, CNN, Discovery Channel and HBO.

The complimentary Wi-Fi connection was easy to set up, reliable and fast enough. The in-room safe was big enough to comfortably fit a 15" laptop and still leave space for other items. There was also a water boiler with coffee and tea.The desk was smallish and lacked a work chair though. The regular chair supplied can not be adjusted and is not suitable to sit at the desk for longer periods of time.

The bathroom was smallish, but adequate. There was a separate bath tub and shower. The shower did not have a single temperature control, but the old fashioned hot and cold knobs instead. Kind of unexpected for this type of hotel, but not a big deal. Especially since the shower space is big enough and hot water comes quite quickly.

The breakfast buffet was reasonably priced and quite extensive with a variety of Western style and Asian foods. There were also eggs cooked to order. What is very comfortable is that the restaurant is open for breakfast until 11am, so no need to rush if you have time.

One word of warning is about the coffee though. Especially when you are in a rush. They only have speciality coffees, like a latte, and they are made individually. During rush hour it can take a while before you get your coffee, so make sure to order it early. It would actually be better if they would also serve regular coffee in a pot. Just put it on the table and provide speciality coffee for those that ask for it.

There was one big disappointment too. The Italian dinner in the same restaurant was pretty high on the price and not at all up to the standards. Especially not what you would expect from a hotel that has such a strong Italian signature.

The minestrone soup was a joke and didn't look at all like the picture shown on the electronic menu. It also didn't have the usual vegetables in it and apparently somebody thought Chinese cabbage would be good enough. I didn't finish it.The pizza calzone also looked very different from the picture and was more like folded bread. The dough was way too thick and soggy. The inside had very little content. I didn't finish it either.The caesar salad was okay, but expensive too. I wouldn't go there again.

Instead, I can recommend to go to the restaurants in the mall next to the hotel. There is for example an excellent Japanese BBQ buffet restaurant. The buffet has a fixed price of 180 RMB and includes drinks, and all food choices, but go early because it seems to be sold out soon.

In the same mall you can also find a Starbucks at the B1 level, next to the Apple store.

This is definitely a very good hotel, but there are some things that could be improved.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Being a family vacation away from Hong Kong, I chose this hotel based on its' proximity to Happy Valley Theme Park and other attractions in the Nanshan district. The location cannot be beat--it's 3 minute walk to both Happy Valley and Windows of the World and is also near the Holiday Plaza Shopping mall which has a skating rink and a supermarket in the basement floor. There is also a monorail which circles around the entire area which I thought was fun. Most of the hotels in this area are fancier hotels such as the Westin, Hyatt and Intercontinental but are much more expensive than the Venice.

The Venice hotel service is certainly 5 star with a very high standard of English. I had no problems at all when ordering room service or calling to the front desk with questions. The staff is very friendly and the atmosphere of the hotel is very festive (my children really enjoyed the Christmas theme and there was even a Santa in the lobby). They also enjoyed the indoor swimming pool. But most remarkable was the quality of the restaurants in this hotel. The standard was on a par with Hong Kong but with more generous portions. The first night we tried the all you can eat teppanyaki/sushi in the Japanese restaurant--it's a great deal for 228RMB and the food was all excellent--highly recommend the grilled prawns and the sashimi. The 2nd night we tried the Blue Italian Grill, which again was surprisingly authentic and fresh with portions twice as big as we get in HK. The lasagna and chicken salad were really fantastic! Breakfast was also really excellent with many choices on the hot dishes. Also, the room service was very very nice and they wheel the food to you on a cart with a heated box underneath to keep the food warm.

The only drawback I would say is that the rooms are a bit small and the decor a little dated. I also found a dirty towel shoved in the corner of the room when I moved one of the chairs--the maid apologized for this and the housekeeping in general was very efficient. The cleanliness could have been better as it was a bit dusty when I moved the furniture around. The locker rooms in the gym could have also been cleaner and the facilities not too modern. But for the price of the hotel I think it was very reasonable especially for the great location. Another thing I found surprising was that a basic 1 hour massage in the spa costs 800RMB. This seems really way too high for such a hotel! So I decided to pass on the spa. All in all, a good choice if you want to be in the centre of Nanshan district and if you like eating great food at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Leslie R
Hotel M, Hotel Management at The Venice Raytour Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your time to share your stay experience. As the first five-star Venetian themed hotel in China, we always strive to meet our guests’ expectations. We are sorry about the towel and the problem has already been communicated to our Housekeeping department. We are pleased to let you know that we have started to upgrade the décor, facilities/amenities in our guestrooms, and we have different size of rooms for each room type. Please feel free to ask for a bigger room on your next visit to us and we are sure you will have a very pleasant stay.