The Venice Raytour Hotel Shenzhen
Ranked #36 of 2,843 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Only had one night here, wish I'd stayed longer! Foyer of hotel is magnificent and redolent of a true Venetian experience. Was decorated with gold silks, rose petals, lanterns etc for Valentines Eve. Spectacular! Reception staff most helpful and had a little understanding of English language!
Corridors sumptuously carpeted. Our room was HUGE with queen beds, sofa, easy chairs and coffee table. We had heating and a balcony! Sadly no view of Window of the World which is local theme park attraction just opposite hotel. Glorious bathroom with rain shower.
Had the buffet in the evening. Sadly staff didn't divulge that it was due to close at 22.00-we entered at 21.15. Food was reasonable quality- Chinese items much better than European- quite justified in China! Choice of fruits, cheeses, seafood and deserts was spectacular! Breakfast was equally good!
This hotel is situated in convenient spot for MTR so easy to get to other attractions in Shenzen. A really good place to stay!

Room Tip: A room overlooking Window on the World would be an ace photo opportunity!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank C H

Reviewed 2 February 2014

I'm a long time traveller into Asia and have stayed at this hotel often over the years. Service on the executive floor is always pleasant but poorly trained. I continue to accept that there's no heating in the rooms at this time of the year, that the TV volume control has a maximum level below a volume my old ears can comfortably hear, that they always deduct the room charge from my visa on check in, that the buffet closes early and is very poor quality anyway, but to close the only really good thing is the Italian restaurant, the normal highlight of my stay FOR A PRIVATE PARTY just shows what's important at this hotel. It would have been nice to know at check in OR when room reservations are made not wait until you make a reservation from your room that night.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I was stayed this hotel for 2 days in the end of October for the Halloween‘s day. The room it's basic,nothing special,hotel Reception are not very Passionate to talk to you. The Buffet Restaurant it's terrible,a chef stay at the open grill station has very bad attitude, I had ordered a grill lamb chop but every time I came back she told me already give other people, and I was asked her make a new one and please send to my table she was refused to me, than I complain to someone wearing a black Jacket but he nothing to do, I swear I'll never go back this Restaurant again. to be honest, the pool bar are very comfortable, relax and big.but you never can get the good service even you paid for 15% service change. music not bad, but inside the singer was awful, she screaming whole night you don't even can stay there for 5 min.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Baker V
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I was in the hotel for a three day conference as keynote speaker, so I had the best room in the place - a suite overlooking the city.

It was all VERY nice, lots like an American international hotel all a bit "done"... and curiously decorated. The pillars are wrapped with gold lame cloth, the door staff are dressed as Gondoliers (poor sods) and there are two faux mechanical gondolas outside the main entrance surrounded by coy carp... you get the idea.

Apart from the "Venice-as-designed-by-someone-who-has-never-bee-to-Venice" theme park aspect of the place it was fine. Hugely overstaffed (five people came to replace the batteries in my TV remote!), really quick room service (although I thought the laundry was VERY expensive). Food was fine and with several options, and there's a high-end mall literally over the street which also has good restaurants on the upper floors.

If someone else is paying, or you're on business, this is fine. And if you're a traveller who doesn't like travelling then you will be pleasantly reassured by the familiar international blandness of it all.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed in Venice Hotel for a week in the middle of November, 2013. I find this hotel very nice with veeeery good location. I'm not a big fan of Chinese food that's why I lost 7 pounds in two weeks during my trip to China. I was surviving with normal food I could eat in the restaurant which was serving breakfasts just beside the lobby. Room was good it had everything I needed. "Window of the World" is just across the street. I spent a whole day there. Hotel staff is very friendly. I recommend this hotel and will stay there again for sure.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This is a normal stop for me while staying in Shenzhen. This hotel is very conveniently located, which is why I keep coming back. I have reviewed this hotel in the past after it changed ownership from the Crowne Plaza to the Venice Hotel. Since the ownership change, there had been a lot of decline in quality at this hotel. Fortunately I think the owners are realizing this and starting to invest. I learned recently that now the 12th and 13th floors have been updated with new decoration. So this means new carpet, new furniture, new wall decor. Fixtures and other things still stay the same. They have also down some upgrades in the cafe Zentro over time. I got to know one of the staff there name Hin, who was very helpful in getting anything you need or special request. So please ask for him if you need something, he is happy and willing to help. There is still a lot do upgrade at the hotel, but I'm glad they are seeing this need and addressing it before it is too late.

Room Tip: If you want something with new decor, choose 12th or 13th floor if possible.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We had stayed at the Venice hotel 3 years earlier when we first arrived in Shenzhen. We wanted to stay here again as we ended our 3 year China adventure. Kind-of like closing the chapter... Our arrival was classic: taxi dropped us off and we entered the lobby for checkin where we were greeted pleasantly. The next minute, Patrick (now Quality Manager), dashed around the counter to give us a personal hug and welcome back! How SPECIAL! And he also upgraded us so we enjoy our stay even more.,

In 3 years, many things have changed and many have remained the same. Many of the people we knew are now gone, but many young new staff are working hard to make the Venice a special place to stay. English skills are still quite good and service overall was excellent.

The room renovations are an excellent upgrade: rooms are spacious, 'rich" colors, thick rugs, new wall paper, upgraded baths -- all great. LOVE the balcony. Our room over looked Window of the Worlds so we were treated to fireworks a couple of nights.

The outdoor pool is just outstanding. Several events happening around the pool, but not intrusive. My husband enjoyed the attached V-bar for live entertainment and late night fun.

The location is great:
- Holiday Plaza right next door for shopping, restaurants, and Ole grocery
- Window of the World metro stop at Holiday Plaza
- Across from Window of the Worlds on one side & Happy Valley on the other.
- Splendid China right down the road.

New additions:
- Nightly turndown service. We LOVED it. Great little "refresh" for the room
- Bikes for loan are available to tour the area. We did not have time this trip, but will try if we get back! Portafino area is lovely for walking and jogging. I bet the bikes would be good there.

Only area for improvement: service and quality of food on the club floor was not great. Staff was pleasant -- just very slow, forgetful and rather clueless. Seems to be a training issue. Patrick joined us for a drink one night and immediately noticed. I am sure that is now being addressed most proactively.

All in all a GREAT stay. Fun to see all the improvements from our previous long term stay. I am sure the Venice will continue to do well!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Window of the Worlds on a higher floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple