“Shameful service and first impressions”

The Venice Raytour Hotel Shenzhen
Ranked #35 of 2,820 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed 9 December 2010

Right from the start we had a bad reception! Three of us travelled to Shenzhen from Hong Kong for a trip over the weekend. While I selected the Hotel on behalf of my friends, we had booked 3 rooms. (one room each) At check in one of my friends wanted to treat us to an upgrade, from standard room to Executive Club floor Suite, so for the hotel this represents a good up sell opportunity for them! As our initial rooms were CNY 800++ and the Suite up grade came to CNY 1800++ each. However, from the moment we got to the front desk we were confronted with surly sour faced staff, despite polite repeated requests for assistance to check our Priority Club rewards numbers and related Airline loyalty milage, they just fobbed us off.

While the rooms were adequate they certainly did not represent value or a standard for the CNY 1800 price tag. Eager to see more of the Hotel we ventured to V Bar an apparently outstanding place with noted awards. Well the only thing they should be awarded is for the worst service I have ever encountered in a Hotel bar venue. Rude and even more surly staff. refused to allow us to seat at a certain part of the place, when pushed why,stated it had a minimum drinks order, but the did not tell us what that was, so after pushing us to a corner table they then proceeded to muck up and delay the drinks order with no apology. The only thing they could get right was the persistence and promptness of the bill even double checking a signature! Simply dreadful service so we just left!

The breakfast offerings in the dome like club lounge was mediocre, and I noticed the glass vases used for decor etc, looked like they had not been cleaned for quite some time. We ended up in the main restaurant for an acceptable breakfast buffet.

At check out the only saviour was the pleasant and efficient service from the Club Lounge attendant, we expressed our woes politely she suggested that we comment the same on a Hotel comments card, to date I have not had the courtesy of a reply from the Hotel management. Perhaps they just don't care less.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank AnthonyHKHongKong
There are newer reviews for The Venice Raytour Hotel Shenzhen

Reviewed 6 October 2010

This is a top rated hotel and just a wonderful experience. The hotel is just BEAUTIFUL. The staff is very professional and just amazingly friendly and pleasant. Communication is MUCH easier than we had expected and the English skills of the staff at all levels is really impressive. We have all the amenities at our fingertips: concierge, pool, gym, business center, food, and the V Bar (the “hottest bar in the city” according to word on the street)!

For more, see my blog posting: http://kmcoyle.wordpress.com/2010/10/01/life-at-the-crowne-plaza-in-shenzhen-is-very-very-good%E2%80%A6/

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 August 2010

This Crowne does a nice job... The rooms are large and clean. I had a room with two double beds, and it was around 600 sq ft with a large sitting area, two terraces, and an immense bathroom with seperate shower and tub. The breakfast buffet offers a nice variety of choices. The staff speaks good English. It is in a nice location near a mall with some dining and shopping options.

...but... The hotel has retained some of its "pre-Crowne" trappings with a kitchy Venice theme, which is in my opinion overdone. For example, the bathroom had a large stone Lion of St Mark between the tub and the toilet. I'm sure it works for the tourists who stay there when visiting Window of the World, which is across the street. The food available for dinner in the cafe was only OK -- something you might expect from a 2-3 star hotel in a backwater, and the cafe itself has the ambiance of a school cafeteria. The mattress seemed very hard. I like a mattress that hugs me a little. This was more like a trampoline.

I stay at this hotel because I have a corporate rate. It is a decent hotel. However, it can not be mistaken for a high-end, luxury property in it's current life. I am in between on whether to recommend or not. I will go with Yes. There are not any deep quality issues that make it a poor value. It is too quirky for my tastes, though.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Very suprise to find a nice hotel with good service and facilites.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2010

This hotel is ideally located for business travelers as well those wanting to visit the window of the world in Shenzhen.
The hotel staff is great and the club-floor is quite a place to be for a sun-downer.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2010

Stayed overnight in that hotel on my way to Shanghai. Rather close to Airport. Very good standard at hotel. Room was very spacious. Internet available in the room. They have japanese and italian restaurants in the hotel. I had business diner at japanese restaurant - not busy at all - ok but very boring atmosphere.
Breakfast is very good - european and asian style.
Bar at swimming pool (inside) charged some hundreds RMB as basic fees - we went inside as it just rained so outside tables were wet - it was totally empty and still want to charge like 200-300RMB just to be able to sit...so we left without ordering.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2010

I'm a frequent traveler, and have written tons of reviews on this site, and I really have to say this is one of the nicest hotels in which I've ever stayed (top 1%). I've stayed at quite a few Crowne Plazas in the US, and this isn't like any Crowne Plaza I've ever been to before. The lobby and other facilities (restaurants, pool, executive lounge, gym) are all attractive and well-maintained. The service was top-notch from the moment I arrived until the moment I left: when I asked, upon leaving, the directions to the subway stop to take me to Hong Kong, the bellhop actually took my luggage all the way to the stop!
The room size was palatial, and it was very well insulated from noises: no sound from other rooms, the hallways, or the street. Everything worked well and was spotlessly clean, of course. The view of the Windows of the World theme park and the bay towards Hong Kong was great. If I had been there on a week-end, there would have been fireworks. The hotel is also within fairly easy walking distance of Splendid China (about 750 meters), which is the park I visited (highly recommended--I didn't go to the WoW park though). Internet access was free (often I find high-end hotels won't include this).
The executive lounge had ample food for the morning and the evening receptions, as well as a good selection of top-shelf alcohol. The hotel is an easy walk to the nearest subway stop, which, unfortunately, is not labeled "Windows of the World" as some guides indicate, but rather Shijie Zhichuang. Subway announcements are made in perfect US English (a bit of a culture jolt when going to Hong Kong and having to get used to British English, not to mention HK's driving on the left, of course).
This hotel gets my enthusiastic recommendation. My only suggestion for improvement would be to increase the temperature of the pool water.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo