“Excellent service”

Shangri-la Hotel Shenzhen
Ranked #18 of 2,754 Hotels in Shenzhen
“Excellent service”
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This was our 2nd trip to the Shangri-La Shenzhen. Its location is fabulous being less than 10 minutes from LoHu station and a stones throw from LoHU Commercial City which is a shopper's mecca.
On check in we decided to upgrade to a Suite (having originally booked a double room on the Horizon Club floor) and were very happy with our choice. The suite was well appointed with plenty of room in both the lounge area and the bedroom. The furnishings were very comfortable and the bed one of the best we have encountered in our travels. The bathroom was also spacious with nice fittings, L'Ocitanne toiletries and the cleanliness first class.
The facilities and service offered by the Horizon Club were very good with the staff remembering you and your preferences from the moment they met you. A good quality breakfast, high tea and happy hour all being provided as part of the service. Dinner at the 360 Restaurant was also very good, with great views out over the city, attentive staff and a small but quality choice of meals.
Definitely worth a try and I would highly recommend upgrading if you can - it is worth the indulgence. We will definitley stay again if we return to Shenzen. Overall - worthy of their 5 star rating.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ob1kob

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Shenzhen, China
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Got extraordinary help and support during my 3 weeks stay in this hotel from Alice Chen, Mason Shu and Rita Yu. They have offered their help to provide me a comfortable stay without looking after my bills, room changes, extensions, limousine service, etc.
They made me feel like I was special like I was going home each time.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ManWingChung
Hong Kong
Reviewed 2 August 2012 via mobile

The hotel's location is excellen as it is very closed to LoHu boarder, just 5-10 mins walking distance. Staff are friendly and always there to assist your need. The buffet breakfast is the same as all other Shangri-la, which I think in general, is the best among all other 5-star hotels in China.
However, the downside is its rooms. I think this Shangri-la is probably the oldest one in China and the rooms are aging and pretty small. It certainly needs a total refurbish ASAP...

• Stayed August 2012
Gz
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Champs bar is an excellent one, friendly people and amazing cocktail, fantastic waitress particularly a gal Kelly HUANG, who provide an unforgetable experience, and other nice guys name daniel Zhang, may zhao, and....ben!! All are wonderful and interesting people here, I wish I would stay another night here with wine beer and wiskey

Tiger

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
arluno
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Good stay in the hotel with swimming pool and gymnasum. There are four place for dinner: a sightseen restaurant on top of the restaurant,a club for hamburger, a restaurant and a restaurant where you can eat a la carte or like "self-service". Here you can find different meal that can fit your taste. over all good

Everywhere
Reviewed 21 July 2012

After much research on hotels in this neighborhood of Luohu in Shenzhen (which is not a pretty neighborhood, mind you, but is convenient to train and shopping), I found 3-star hotels at $20-40 (USD), 4 star hotels at $60-$70, and this hotel at $186 - weeknight rate. I opted for 5-star, based on the description of "spacious rooms" etc.

When I checked in, the I was asked if I wanted to add 500 RMB for additional amenities -- shouldn't 5 star hotels, at over 2-fold the cost of the 4-start hotels, included these amenities? I went to the room and was shocked by its small size. I called the front desk and was moved to a "deluxe" room. It was larger, but hardly 5-star: small TV screen, cheap plastic wastebin in the batroom, half-sized tub (which was clogged), curtain rod broke when I opened the curtain, black stain along base of shower curtain, safe on a low shelf so I had to sit on the floor to use it, cheap small travel hairdryer with American plug - did not work in bathroom outlet, did not fit into Chinese outlet near mirror. The pillows were too soft. In the morning, I found the "stationary" binder - with the pillow menu and the feedback form - in a shelf under the desk! None of this was 5 star quality, and I regret having chosen to spend $186 + tax for this, when I could have gotten a Best Westen down the street for $65.

When I chose to pay more, I did so expecting a luxury experience. The website and descriptions are *misleading* - had I known this was the room, I would not have chosen it. I paid for first class, and at best got business class. When I expressed this to the managers, who were very polite and professional to their credit, they said they know of the problem that the rooms are small. I feel that Shangri-La misrepresented itself, and I feel cheated. Despite the excellent managerial service, including the "free upgrade to deluxe" (why not to a top level "Horizon Club room" - for which the check-in person asked me to add 500 RMB? The hotel was almost empty, there is no reason I should not have been given a better room) and despite the free breakfast I received when I asked for it (come on- more than twice the cost of 4 star hotels, and breakfast is not included??), I do not feel I got my money's worth. And by the way, the omlette I got at breakfast was raw inside, and the cook did not understand English.

I will not stay at this Shangri-La or others, nor will I recommend it. For only $50 more, by contrast, the INTERCONTINENTAL Hotel Shenzhen offers a huge margin of luxury - extremely large and gorgeously decorated marble and leather rooms, tip top condition, huge deep soaking tub with bath salts, rain shower, large TV and Bose speakers, free DVD rental and player in room, and the BEST breakfast I have ever had in my many travels. The higher cost at the Intercontinental was matched by the luxury = good value for the money. The moderate standard of the room at the Shangri-La Luohu was too low for the rate charged = poor value for the money.

Room Tip: Go to the Intercontinental instead - you will not regret it
3 Thank GulliverEverywhere
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2012

From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave you feel part of the family. Nothing is too hard and you are always greeted with a smile. Vicky and Phoebe in the coffe shop made me feel very welcome and provide great service. When I come back to SHen I will definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Be a member