“Probably the best in Shenzhen”

The Langham, Shenzhen
Ranked #9 of 2,812 Hotels in Shenzhen
Shenzhen, China
“Probably the best in Shenzhen”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This hotel has a very high attention to detail in every aspect, construction, decoration, service etc.
We've been upgraded to the next category room and we've been very impressed by the size and the comfort of the room! Huge room and huge bathroom with a nice view on Shenzhen CBD and Shennan road.
Absolutely zero noise at night! The windows are super thick.
Great buffet breakfast, lot of choice, asian/western.
If you want quality hotel in Shenzhen I would definitely recommend the Langham hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

The rooms were clean and stylish, the lobby/hotel interior was pleasant and stylish. Tea at the lobby cafe was surprisingly good. But that's the end of the good stuff. Now on to the (really) bad stuff.

Very unpleasant walk in booking experience
Tried to book a room for 2 nights at walk in.
- Was told that all superior rooms were taken for the second night and there was only the more expensive club room available, even though the listing on agoda showed available rooms.
- Asked to book a superior on the 1st night and club room on the second. Was refused, told that a booking can only be made for the same room type.
- Got fed up.
- Booked superior room on agoda.
- Went back to counter.
- Got superior room for both nights.
If the agoda booking was refundable would have cancelled it on the spot and went to jw marriott across the street instead. Pardon me but I think I cannot understand how a hotel can prioritize a booking made on agoda over a walk in booking request, especially since the walk in booking request came first. And I guess they never even considered the possibility of giving a free upgrade for the customer who walked into their hotel and was talking to them straight over the counter.

Inconvenient to pick up a taxi at the entrance
The hotel entrance is not connected to the main road well and there usually aren't any available taxis for pickup outside the entrance, so it is quite inconvenient since you can't just grab a cab at the entrance easily.

Bad service
1) Asked the concierge to call a cab for me. Was acknowledged and was asked to have a seat. Waited 10 minutes. Asked again. Was told that he already called 2 taxis, why didn't you get in one already? I'm like. Why didn't you tell me when the
taxi came then?

2) Asked for make up room when I went out, came back 6 hours later no one had done anything yet. And this was after I ate dinner from room service, with all the leftover food and dishes still on the table. Even if I did not call for it, I guess the idea of cleaning up the dishes from room service after I left the room never even crossed their minds.

3) Called and asked for a nail cutter. Was told that they don't offer that service. Seriously?!

Lackluster food
Ate dinner from room service. Fried rice and chilli tofu tasted totally bland. Chicken herbal soup was decent, but serving was pathetic in size, and only came with a smallllll piece of chicken.

Jazz performance in restaurant/lounge was kinda underwhelming
Went to the restaurant/lounge on the 3rd floor to catch the evening jazz artist. Who obviously had good vocals and decent piano skills, but decided to rely on the original song tracks playing in the background for the drum/bass etc parts. Which was a disaster because many of the original song tracks used were not jazz arrangements, thus it sounded totally awkward when he tried to do jazz riffs over them. Plus, the sound balance of the piano/vocals/background track was off quite a few times as I guessed his tracks weren't normalized or some tracks had noiser arrangements than others (or both). Not a very jazzy "jazz performance".

I have no idea how anyone could label this hotel a 4? 5? Star hotel. Without a doubt this is the worst hotel I stayed in the more than 150US/night price range. Am totally disappointed from trusting the glowing ratings on tripadvisor. A pity too, given the stylish design of the hotel. I guess if you just want a clean stylish room and can find a competitive price this could be a decent option, but I'd rather try other options if I was going to pay this amount for a room.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank BrandonWoo
Huntersville, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Just held a client conference at the Langham, Shenzhen. My review will included both the banquet facilities and the guest rooms.

I am going to start with the entrance. Yes, the door to the hotel. I've never commented on that before, in any of the hundreds of hotels I have stayed in around the world, but I will now. Maybe it was the bright smiles & warm welcome of the doormen, maybe it was beautiful scent that surrounds the lobby, or the stunning flowers, maybe it was the blast of cold air from the China humidity. Maybe it was all of the above but it was wonderful. I've never stayed at a hotel that seemed to be welcoming me personally every single time I walked through the door. The front desk and lobby personnel were immediately available to see if I needed help. Not in a pushy way, just a "we are here to provide you with excellent service" way. And they did each and every time.

My guest room. I hated to leave it. Really. Can they just move it to my house? Comfortable, luxurious bedding. I could order a lavender-scented pillow for heaven's sake, and I did, as well as a reading pillow. Cold air conditioning that I could control and get as cold as I wanted. Lights manged from both sides of the bed, all sides of the room. Beautiful bathroom with full bathtub, elegant shower with a choice or a rain shower or standard; quality amenities, nice robe & slippers (great cause i forgot mine!) - beautiful closet organizer that kept everything very tidy. Perfect desk space with great lighting, power portals & free wifi; and an adjustable comfortable desk chair - practically better than my office at home. And the beautiful & delicious chocolates delivered to my room the first night, followed by one every night, under a water glass and a fresh complimentary bottle of water each night at turndown. Small french press coffee-maker, hot water kettle and teapot. China & glassware for my use. Can you tell I was happy here??? OK, to be fair, one complaint - provide more coffee creamers in my refrigerator! 2 a day was not enough! (good heavens am I picky or what?). I mentioned to my maid who happened to come to the room when I was checking some email.. The next morning there was an additional pack of coffee and then the next & last day, additional cream. All I had to do was ask...

Banquet facilities were top notch. My only complaint here, those carpets had seen better days. I was expecting typical dull hotel food for our lunches - NOPE! It was delicious. One of the best buffets I've experienced. Hot & cold delicious appetizers, entrees and desserts. Attentive staff - wish there were more who spoke some amount of English but I was in China after all!

Really, I can't say enough about this property. I am going to look for a Langham property anywhere else I stay... if they are all like this, I will never stay anywhere else... Hiltons, Hyatts, Marriotts, you could all learn a lot from this place!!

Room Tip: I like to be away from the elevators to keep down on the other guest noise. Rooms were very quiet in...
1 Thank LvsChagall
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Having traveled for years throughout China and been fortunate to stay in the better hotels, what I experienced in the Langham Shenzhen was outstanding. Fantstically trained staff, pro-active, caring and friendly. Great English.....so out standing service. The SPA was superb as was our dinner in DUKE'S.......superb Tapas and Prome RIB !!! Will be back whenevner I can

Room Tip: Book a room with access to the Club....where the cosktail selection is great and views are stunning
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Before I have stayed at Ritz Carlton Shenzhen.. Comparing to Ritz Carlton, the overall satisfaction is a little lower...But I prefer the location of Langham, the service of your staff.
In my personal opinion, You need to considert to adjust the accomodation fee or to provide the other serviced to your guests.

1 Thank DavidKIM2014
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I spent 6 days here,first holed up writing business presentations, for a meeting and then for a conference.

Shenzhen in May is like Dallas Texas in July, in the run up to a rainstorm with record high humidity. As an alternative, the Langham, greets you with the smell of happiness (namely ginger and flowers) and delivers a cool blast of elegance. Oh, and a magnificent pink rose.

Rooms are well appointed, oversized, comfortable. The amenities kit seems to go on forever.

Dining:
In room - it can be challenging to order because the menu is extensive and the English translation is not as simple for the staff team member (sounds awful but numbers might help). Katsu curry is good, spicy. Lobster dumplings exceedingly tasty.

Silk - I have felt so well cared for in a restaurant. After writing in my room for a while, they allowed me to spread out, write for a couple of hours, eat and drink coffee. I never felt like I was dining alone since Carol, Flora, Julia were the epitome of warm delightful, service. I kept bringing various members of our large team back with me. Full of light and windows. Highly recommend the noodle soups and dumplings. Dessert - try them all.

Dukes Bar - unfailingly nice and knowledgeable. Great snacky stuff. The whole carving station looked amazing but we did not try it. They know their wines well and they recommended interesting ones for our party.

T'ang Court - we did prix fixe Chef's menu. Highly recommend.

Treasures and Scent Chocolates - I don't care if you only get a 4 piece box, get some. But seriously, you will regret not getting a big box. I am trying to figure out exactly how I am going to get the ones I bought back for my family unscathed (ok, more unscathed. I already ate one of the raspberry ones. I couldn't help it.)

A couple of minor nits to pay attention to:
1. My door did not self close. It's a good thing its a safe hotel, because I think it was not latching for hours at a time.
2. If you put someone on the club floor, just extend club services to her. It does not provide a good customer experience to be told no, you can't have coffee/beverage/meal etc when A. you have already prepared it and B. the incremental cost is negligible and the risk of getting someone to come back is not. That is where policies break down and was a kind of dumb decision (especially on behalf of the concierges).

Room Tip: Since the rooms are all quiet and well appointed, I think you're okay with any. As I said, unle...
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Everything is incredible in this hotel!
The staff are amazing...so efficient, so proactive, so kind, so friendly, ...and incredible level of English.

The spa: I had the best massage in my life. Also there the staff are so competent and Jessica my therapist is so so so nice!

Our dinner at Ducks restaurant is delicious and the atmosphere so cosy, Julia the manager is so dedicated so professional and Coco she also excellent. Great food, fab tapas and a great selection of wines!! During the dinner you can enjoyed the fantastic voice of Akia!

In short, a must......and book a room on Club!!! The best hotel I have ever stayed in China......we'll done to the team!!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends