Grand Skylight Garden Hotel
Chaohai Hotel(Shenzhen)
  • Restaurant
Shanghai Hotel(Shenzhen)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 November 2011

We booked this hotel after looking at the great pictures published on Expedia. We were dis-appointed. When we arrived, the receptionist could not find our booking stating that the Reservation department is closed on Sunday and they would be able retrieve the booking only the next day.

Room had a worn out look with age old curtains. The Pictures in their website are really deceiving !!!!

Wanted to stay for about a week or so, but had to check out the third day to Shangri La. I should say that after I had their breakfast on Day 1, I did not even feel like eating any further in this hotel, so much pathetic was the food.

I did not enjoy my stay at all and there is absolutely NOTHING I liked about this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank AJose012
Reviewed 15 July 2010

We are currently staying at the hotel and I'm a little afraid to write this while stuck here for another 8 days, but we can't take it anymore! This is our 1st trip Shenzhen. The Grand Skylight Garden Hotel had a very nice website, ok reviews, and claimed to have English speaking staff, Western style restaurant, fast wireless internet and phenomenal service. OMG! That could not be further from the truth.
We are paying 1160 RMB a night ( and were supposed to be paying around 800 RMB per night) and feel like we are being hijacked every second. Let me start with a list here that help guide you when making your choice:
1) Most travelers to China from the USA are a little jet lagged. It's always nice to have a cup of coffee when you need a little kick at 5:30-6am. Note there is no coffee in the rooms. Not even instant coffee. When you call downstairs for coffee or room service, their only answer is "we haven't". No help or assistance to even get a cup of Joe. So, you have to wait in your bed until 6:30 am when their "Western Style" restaurant opens. Please note they even get upset if you try and bring the cup of coffee up to your room! Who the heck wants to sit in a hot, humid place with no tv or newspaper ( not even a USA today) to enjoy the morning caffeine kick? Not me!!
2) INTERNET IS TERRIBLE. Put it this way, even writing this review, I keep timing out. The rooms are not wireless. You must plug in via Ethernet. Now, in most cases there would be 2 people to a room. We both have CPU's. That means you both can't have internet at the same time. We had to walk into town and buy a wireless router. Further, this is supposed to be a 4 Star Business Hotel. No way!!!!!! You can hardly log onto the wireless anywhere in the hotel and even when you are on, it is slowest speeds imaginable to human kind.
3) The FOOD is GROSS! One of the great pleasures about booking a world class international business hotel for Americans is that we can indulge in a good ol' hamburger, pasta, BLT or apple pie once the local cuisine catches to ya'. Not the case here. The pasta is so starchy and overcooked it melts on your plate and hamburgers can be used as rocks to break windows. The omelets are runny and the ham tastes like salt sticks. The worse breakfast, lunch or diner I have ever had in any Chinese Hotel.
4) The staff does not speak English. This is a major downfall and a reason they should be downgraded to a 3 or 2 star hotel. USA business travelers book a 4-5 star international business hotel so we can get assistance in English. These people don't even know the words " shower, fan, clogged sink, room to hot, safe does not lock, food no good, internet not working"......It's just a huge downgrade to your productivity and makes life really hard.

Our plan for today is to call the Intercontinental Hotel or Mondrian Hotel and get switched over. We checked them out last night. Food was great, staff spoke fluent English and they were much better located. I'm sure this place works fine for a local Chinese businessman or woman , but all international travelers need to avoid! For the same price, you can get 10 times the service in many other places. If we were paying $75 a night, I had have no right to complain. At $150 a night, I have every right no place an honest review and let these guys know a lot of improvement is needed. I hope my food does not get poisoned now :-) Take care and we hope this review helps.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank jasndom
Reviewed 11 June 2010

The hotel is not located in the city (as in near bars, restaurants, shopping complexes) as i thought.

There are things to be improved:
1. the carpets in hotel needs a clean! There is this strong awful smell once i came out from the lift.
2. I requested for a non smoking floor but often smell smokes coming out of the other rooms and there was an ashtray in my room!
3. The hotel does not seem to have any maintenance budget?
4. Carpet and toilet floor in my room seems to be sticky, i could never walk barefooted in the room.
5. There is no wireless, they have a very short cable, free internet.

Will i return? No. The staffs are fairly pleasant but i will not return based on the location and sticky floor/carpet and smelly corridor.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 29 December 2009

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed 9 June 2009

I stayed in this hotel for five nights this past May and every aspect was a pleasure. The staff did their utmost to assist me in every way. This is a business hotel and I don't think serves lots of tourists. Except for the few Westerners associated with my conference, everyone else was Chinese. Aim for a room on the higher floors as there is a highway you are overlooking that can be a bit noisey. I have limited diet, but the buffet looked excellent, and the restaurant did their utmost to serve my special dietary needs. The room I stayed in was a corner one on the eighth floor facing a park. Lots of light and well-appointed, though a smell of urine when the toilet was flushed, and only for a few seconds, no doubt from overburdened sewer pipes. The hotel is not in the main business section of town, which was a plus for me as taxis are cheap and I liked the somewhat out of the way location. However, only a few blocks away is a small neighborhood with lots of friendly restaurants and stores, even a small supermarket that I found quite charming. Folks at the hotel speak English, but not always as well as I needed to communicate, but everyone did their best. As a business hotel, expect to pay a lot for internet and other services. I notived that other folks stayed in rooms smaller than mine, so check to see if there a bigger ones before you settle. Mine may have be a pricier one than others, but since I did not pay, I am not sure. Shenzhen offers little other than commerce, though it is an easy taxi ride to the subway to take you to Hong Kong nearby, but you will go through Chinese customs and then Hong Kong customs. It's a pian, but I spent several hours in Hong Kong while still hoteling in Shenzhen.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business