“Ok hotel”

Ranked #150 of 2,754 Hotels in Shenzhen
Woodridge, Illinois
“Ok hotel”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

There is nothing wrong about this hotel, but there is also nothing nothing interesting. Location is so so. Price is so so. At least room is clean. For just find a clean place to sleep, this hotel will serve the purpose.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Typical Chinese style run hotel, people seems to be smoking everywhere you go. Rooms are fine, clean, reasonably well laid out, LCD TV, but no minibar. Lobby not very inviting, has the look and feel of outdated hotel. TV has CNN, HBO and one or two other English speaking channels. Staff is friendly and efficient, but when looking at the price of the hotel there are many other options with the international chains which are much better in Shenzhen.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Ottawa
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I am staying here as my company has put me here at a great rate (450RMB) so I cannot really complain, but average is a gift rating. The location is quiet but not close to anything except for a 'park' and subway is quite a hike (1.5 Km) away (at least the one I could find anyway).

I am a frequent visitor to SE Asia so don't mind this not being a very Western friendly hotel, the Western breakfast is pretty weird and they have no idea what coffee is so you better like tea. The staff is friendly but they don't speak English very well and I was constantly waiting on hold for someone to be found that could deal with me.

The room itself is clean and quiet, but you get only basic wired Internet and fairly slow at that. I would not stay here again just for that reason alone as I have like 4 wireless devices on me at all times. This fact shows me a hotel management not very much with the times in Shenzen China of all places! I kind of feel like this is a hotel chain on the decline or maybe they started from way back not sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the park, the rooms on that side of the Hotel are twice the size of the others. BT...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Had I read the reviews prior to booking, I wouldn't have stayed here. However, I'm glad I did, value for money at RMB 700 per night was excellent!
Stayed on the 26th Floor in a renovated room, Top Quality Luxury! Good Internet [wired] and tea and coffee facilities. Big TV, comfortable beds!

Booking made on Booking.com, the staff took a few minutes to locate the booking but no longer than any other Chinese Hotels. Staff were very helpful and their English was OK.

There was some construction work going on at the hotel but all was quiet between 2000 hrs and 0800hrs.

Now a few negatives:

Restaurant on 1st floor was not great, food was OK but buffet looked very tired! Expensive and Service was just OK

In the morning, two [not very good] coffees in the lobby lounge = 100 RMB.

So, next time i would stay here again, but eat out and go to Starbucks.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 5 November 2011

We booked this hotel after looking at the great pictures published on Expedia. We were dis-appointed. When we arrived, the receptionist could not find our booking stating that the Reservation department is closed on Sunday and they would be able retrieve the booking only the next day.

Room had a worn out look with age old curtains. The Pictures in their website are really deceiving !!!!

Wanted to stay for about a week or so, but had to check out the third day to Shangri La. I should say that after I had their breakfast on Day 1, I did not even feel like eating any further in this hotel, so much pathetic was the food.

I did not enjoy my stay at all and there is absolutely NOTHING I liked about this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank AJose012
los angeles
Reviewed 15 July 2010

We are currently staying at the hotel and I'm a little afraid to write this while stuck here for another 8 days, but we can't take it anymore! This is our 1st trip Shenzhen. The Grand Skylight Garden Hotel had a very nice website, ok reviews, and claimed to have English speaking staff, Western style restaurant, fast wireless internet and phenomenal service. OMG! That could not be further from the truth.
We are paying 1160 RMB a night ( and were supposed to be paying around 800 RMB per night) and feel like we are being hijacked every second. Let me start with a list here that help guide you when making your choice:
1) Most travelers to China from the USA are a little jet lagged. It's always nice to have a cup of coffee when you need a little kick at 5:30-6am. Note there is no coffee in the rooms. Not even instant coffee. When you call downstairs for coffee or room service, their only answer is "we haven't". No help or assistance to even get a cup of Joe. So, you have to wait in your bed until 6:30 am when their "Western Style" restaurant opens. Please note they even get upset if you try and bring the cup of coffee up to your room! Who the heck wants to sit in a hot, humid place with no tv or newspaper ( not even a USA today) to enjoy the morning caffeine kick? Not me!!
2) INTERNET IS TERRIBLE. Put it this way, even writing this review, I keep timing out. The rooms are not wireless. You must plug in via Ethernet. Now, in most cases there would be 2 people to a room. We both have CPU's. That means you both can't have internet at the same time. We had to walk into town and buy a wireless router. Further, this is supposed to be a 4 Star Business Hotel. No way!!!!!! You can hardly log onto the wireless anywhere in the hotel and even when you are on, it is slowest speeds imaginable to human kind.
3) The FOOD is GROSS! One of the great pleasures about booking a world class international business hotel for Americans is that we can indulge in a good ol' hamburger, pasta, BLT or apple pie once the local cuisine catches to ya'. Not the case here. The pasta is so starchy and overcooked it melts on your plate and hamburgers can be used as rocks to break windows. The omelets are runny and the ham tastes like salt sticks. The worse breakfast, lunch or diner I have ever had in any Chinese Hotel.
4) The staff does not speak English. This is a major downfall and a reason they should be downgraded to a 3 or 2 star hotel. USA business travelers book a 4-5 star international business hotel so we can get assistance in English. These people don't even know the words " shower, fan, clogged sink, room to hot, safe does not lock, food no good, internet not working"......It's just a huge downgrade to your productivity and makes life really hard.

Our plan for today is to call the Intercontinental Hotel or Mondrian Hotel and get switched over. We checked them out last night. Food was great, staff spoke fluent English and they were much better located. I'm sure this place works fine for a local Chinese businessman or woman , but all international travelers need to avoid! For the same price, you can get 10 times the service in many other places. If we were paying $75 a night, I had have no right to complain. At $150 a night, I have every right no place an honest review and let these guys know a lot of improvement is needed. I hope my food does not get poisoned now :-) Take care and we hope this review helps.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank jasndom
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 June 2010

The hotel is not located in the city (as in near bars, restaurants, shopping complexes) as i thought.

There are things to be improved:
1. the carpets in hotel needs a clean! There is this strong awful smell once i came out from the lift.
2. I requested for a non smoking floor but often smell smokes coming out of the other rooms and there was an ashtray in my room!
3. The hotel does not seem to have any maintenance budget?
4. Carpet and toilet floor in my room seems to be sticky, i could never walk barefooted in the room.
5. There is no wireless, they have a very short cable, free internet.

Will i return? No. The staffs are fairly pleasant but i will not return based on the location and sticky floor/carpet and smelly corridor.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business