Grand Skylight Garden Hotel
Chaohai Hotel(Shenzhen)
  • Restaurant
Shanghai Hotel(Shenzhen)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We were five people in all having stayed at this hotel . My room number was 1020. We were all trade unionists invited for a visit trip by the All China Federation of Trade Unions for a week in december 2012. We really enjoyed our stay. The hotel was clean and people very gentle. The welcome was warm. Anyway the hotel and its people have left us a very nice souvenir. If ever I pay another visit to chine one day, I'll stay over there again. Thanks to all of the people working at the Hotel. especial thanks to all those who worked in the restaurant. We enjoyed the food.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Reading the other reviews you might say mmmm. I arrived last night after a long journey from the UK. I translated the hotel adress into chinese writting before i flew to china. Got the Ferry from HK airport straight to shenzhen. cost HKD 220. 30 mins journey. Out of ferry terminal straight to taxi rank . Showed the taxi driver the translation and went straight there cost arounf 70RMB. At check in the reception spoke english and was very helpfull. Lets be honest its not a 5 star hotel but room is clean and tidy , bed comfortable. Aircon seems not to work very well but its not too bad this time of the year :-). Around 10pm i though id check out the spa. Got a nice massage for 300rmb.Back to room and ordered bolognaise around midnight and arrived withing 20 mins. All in all so far so good. ps no knocking on door asking if i wanted a massage :-) . So now I am up at 6am and there is coffee in the room just what i need,. Popping up to the gym and then will have a look at the breakfast wich is 50rmb...

Room Tip: Got it through expedia 6 nights for £380
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 January 2013

The bed was clean and more or less comfortable, but that was about it.

As for the rest, I will just jot down a few points that annoyed the heck out of me - there are way too many to list all of them, so here's my "can-you-believe-it-list":

- my flight was delayed so I arrived at the hotel after midnight, which had led to a cancellation of my room. Getting one re-booked on the spot (and at the original rate!) was a nightmare

- the night receptionist was new and after solving the above problem took more than 20 minutes to check me into the room. Twenty minutes at a time of the day where all you want to do is just go to sleep

- when I arrived at the room I found it had had the windows open. Shenzhen was cold, and so was my room. I quickly went to bed and switched the A/C to "heating" hoping things would be better in the morning. And, yes, I did close the windows as well ;-)

- the next morning it was still cold, since the A/C has no heating function. I called the front desk who told me to switch on the A/C, and I told them it had been on all night. They promised to bring a heater

- when I got back at night there was no heater and it was still cold. Plus, the windows were open again

- it took me another three calls to finally get the heater that brought relief. By now I had a cold, needless to say

- breakfast is atrocious, at least if measured by the name "Western breakfast". And staff in the restaurant are as unattentive as one can possibly be. Plus, when you have their attention they do not understand what you want...

- the front desk called me on my last evening saying "we have not charged enough deposit on your credit card - you must come down and pay now"

As far as I am concerned, I'll be staying at another hotel on my next trip. This place is testament to why Western hotel chains are expanding so rapidly in China!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Our taxi driver had trouble finding this hotel and in the end dropped us at the wrong hotel and quickly left before we realized it. Luckily the other hotel was very helpful and sent a bellman to help us walk a very short walk to the correct hotel with our luggage.
Since we were part of a group, we had attentive service and passable English from the reception staff. They were really quite pleasant to us.
Our rooms were upgraded to deluxe and I cannot complain as the room was huge and modern.
The big flat screen TV has a number of English channels too.
Bathroom was big and had great shower.
My only complaint was the bed. As is common for hotels that focus on the Asian travellers the bed was quite hard- too hard actually.
While I did not take breakfast, the other members of our group did and in general were not impressed.
It was a universal opinion that the coffee was the worst anyone had tried in years.
The hotel is linked to a shopping mall and this made our down time ok as we could browse, but English speakers was not easy to find while shopping.

Others in our group complained that the hot water was poor and that the centrally controlled air conditioning was shut down from midnight to 7AM.
For me, my complaint was the hotel did nothing to control frequent smoking in the lobby and restaurant regardless of the numerous no smoking signs.
These issues causes me to not recommend this hotel and I will not return.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stay almost 2 weeks and thought the staff services were excellent. breakfast so so
location not so idea. Room pretty clean, offer a range of pillows and I got good rest throughout my stressout businesss trip but toiletries range was bad.

Room Tip: face north rooms, better view
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business