We are currently staying at the hotel and I'm a little afraid to write this while stuck here for another 8 days, but we can't take it anymore! This is our 1st trip Shenzhen. The Grand Skylight Garden Hotel had a very nice website, ok reviews, and claimed to have English speaking staff, Western style restaurant, fast wireless internet and phenomenal service. OMG! That could not be further from the truth.
We are paying 1160 RMB a night ( and were supposed to be paying around 800 RMB per night) and feel like we are being hijacked every second. Let me start with a list here that help guide you when making your choice:
1) Most travelers to China from the USA are a little jet lagged. It's always nice to have a cup of coffee when you need a little kick at 5:30-6am. Note there is no coffee in the rooms. Not even instant coffee. When you call downstairs for coffee or room service, their only answer is "we haven't". No help or assistance to even get a cup of Joe. So, you have to wait in your bed until 6:30 am when their "Western Style" restaurant opens. Please note they even get upset if you try and bring the cup of coffee up to your room! Who the heck wants to sit in a hot, humid place with no tv or newspaper ( not even a USA today) to enjoy the morning caffeine kick? Not me!!
2) INTERNET IS TERRIBLE. Put it this way, even writing this review, I keep timing out. The rooms are not wireless. You must plug in via Ethernet. Now, in most cases there would be 2 people to a room. We both have CPU's. That means you both can't have internet at the same time. We had to walk into town and buy a wireless router. Further, this is supposed to be a 4 Star Business Hotel. No way!!!!!! You can hardly log onto the wireless anywhere in the hotel and even when you are on, it is slowest speeds imaginable to human kind.
3) The FOOD is GROSS! One of the great pleasures about booking a world class international business hotel for Americans is that we can indulge in a good ol' hamburger, pasta, BLT or apple pie once the local cuisine catches to ya'. Not the case here. The pasta is so starchy and overcooked it melts on your plate and hamburgers can be used as rocks to break windows. The omelets are runny and the ham tastes like salt sticks. The worse breakfast, lunch or diner I have ever had in any Chinese Hotel.
4) The staff does not speak English. This is a major downfall and a reason they should be downgraded to a 3 or 2 star hotel. USA business travelers book a 4-5 star international business hotel so we can get assistance in English. These people don't even know the words " shower, fan, clogged sink, room to hot, safe does not lock, food no good, internet not working"......It's just a huge downgrade to your productivity and makes life really hard.
Our plan for today is to call the Intercontinental Hotel or Mondrian Hotel and get switched over. We checked them out last night. Food was great, staff spoke fluent English and they were much better located. I'm sure this place works fine for a local Chinese businessman or woman , but all international travelers need to avoid! For the same price, you can get 10 times the service in many other places. If we were paying $75 a night, I had have no right to complain. At $150 a night, I have every right no place an honest review and let these guys know a lot of improvement is needed. I hope my food does not get poisoned now :-) Take care and we hope this review helps.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Grand Skylight Garden Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.