“Bed bugs?”

Marco Polo Shenzhen
Ranked #1,327 of 2,862 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Marco Polo Shenzhen is my choice of stay when I needed to be in Shenzhen for work and have stayed here for 3 other occasions previously. Unfortunately the stay this time round wasnt as comfortable as it used to be. I was informed they are unable to provide me a non-smoking room when I checked in (I had requested for 1 when I booked the rooms). I had to 'volunteer' for a downgraded room in order to get a non-smoking room. I started getting nasty bites on my arms from the 2nd night ownards and the bites started getting worse each subsequent night.
I would advise the bed in room 2211 be changed..

Other than that, location is perfect and the cleaniness is always there...Thumbs up!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Marco Polo is a full-service hotel with large, comfortable rooms. The staff speak English pretty well. It's in a good location in the Futian district of Shenzhen, and is more affordable than some of its nearby competitors.

Downsides:
- The thumping beats from the nightclub across the street can be heard in the rooms until at least 2 AM every night. This is not under the hotel's control, but it could be bothersome, and guests should ask for a room on the side of the hotel farthest from the nightclub.
- On the bill, there were several items marked "service charge" that I was told were actually taxes. If they are taxes, they should be listed as taxes.
- The chair at the desk in my room was too short and couldn't be adjusted upward. Only a problem if you're going to be spending a lot of time working in your hotel room (as I did).

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side will probably have the least nightclub noise at night
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I like the Marco Polo if I stay in Shenzhen, it is in a good location with plenty of life on the doorstep, decent restaurants, some nie bars.
The neighbourhood is good, even though quite a bit more expensive than other areas in Shenzhen, but you will feel like you are in any other major city if you stay here.
I was a bit shocked at the hotel check in as I had travelled a long way to be told my room was booked for the next week, it turned out they were wrong, i recieved no apologies, but this did not deter from a good stay in Shenzhen. You will not get hassled here like many of the other areas in Shenzhen, you will feel entirely safe here.

Room Tip: You will be shown to your room by a bell boy, make sure you tell him if you are not happy with your...
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Marco Polo hotel in Shenzhen is very well located, close to Metro station and main shopping malls. It is also close to lively nightlife. The hotel itself is impressive, the room is rather good but not exceptional. For those 'nightlifers',saw an Asian customer, fighting with security guy who told him that he cannot bring guests at night.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Brendamin W, Public Relations Manager at Marco Polo Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2017

Thank you very much for staying at Marco Polo Shenzhen and taking time to give us your feedback. We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

Stayed for five nights on business. This was a good hotel experience spoilt by some disappointments.

On the plus side, the location is very good. The hotel is a short stroll to a shopping complex (Coco Park), and just a little bit further to another mall (Central Walk). You should be able to buy anything you want in either of these two locations (except men’s suits! See my comments below). My room (#2717) was also very nice and very comfortable, but a little on the small side. The air-conditioning was fantastic, and very customizable.

I ordered room service twice (Chinese pork with fried rice on the first night, and Pepperoni pizza on the second night), and it was fantastic both times.

The breakfast buffet was very average… nothing to complain about but the selection was relatively slim.

Now for the disappointments… despite staying on the 27th floor I could hear the doof-doof of electronic music from the downstairs nightclub until 2am EVERY NIGHT. It was a strange noise, as it wasn’t loud enough to be obvious, but it was definitely loud enough to be achingly annoying as I was trying to get to sleep… and I’m not a light sleeper.

Also… on my first morning I asked the hotel staff “where is the best place to purchase a men’s suit?”. I was sent on a wild goosechase with various malls marked on a paper map. I spent about four hours searching through dozens of shops in three malls. I returned empty-handed to Marco Polo and discovered there is a specialist suit tailor literally INSIDE the hotel building! If I’d just turned left instead of following the map from the hotel staff, I could have saved myself four hours of excruciating and fruitless searching. I’m going to assume the hotel staff member was a VERY new employee and didn’t realize the hotel was housing a suit tailor. But that doesn’t get me my four hours back.

My other concern was during check-out. It was so unnecessarily painful. It should have been so smooth, but the hotel clerk refused to listen to anything I had to say (I tried to advise him that I had additional minibar expenses from the prior evening), and spoke over the top of me before I even had a chance to finish my questions about the confusing and inconsistently itemized “Service Charges” on final bill.

One final disappointment… despite belonging to the Global Hotel Alliance, for some inexplicable reason I couldn’t use my GHA card to collect points from this stay. It had something to do with the rate I was paying, which just sounds petty and ridiculous.

Despite the good things about Marco Polo Shenzhen, I wouldn’t choose to stay here again… and would even seriously consider avoiding the entire Marco Polo chain as a result of my experiences here.

Please note: If arriving to Shenzhen from Hong Kong, you can take a ferry directly from HK airport… no need to clear HK customs and the ferry company will even arrange your luggage transfers from the airline… you collect your bags after arriving in Shenzhen. There are actually two ferry terminals in Shenzhen (She Kou & Fu Yong). Apparently the She Kou terminal is closest to Marco Polo and the one-way fare from HK airport was HKD$220 (approx. USD$30). Be aware of unofficial taxi touts as you exit the Shenzhen ferry terminal… the first tout quoted me 600RMB. I called the hotel and they told me the approx. fare from She Kou terminal should be 100RMB. I choose a different driver and was eventually charged 150RMB. When transferring back to HK airport, the ferry option is not as smooth. Apparently you must arrive at the ferry terminal three hours before the ferry departs. This is obviously problematic. The hotel arranged a shuttle to collect me from the lobby and drive across the border into HK and deliver me directly to HK airport. The total journey time was approx. 2h from hotel to airport.

Room Tip: Try to get a VERY high floor... I could still hear nightclub music on the 27th floor.
1  Thank manasicaje
Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

Essentially a business hotel and its good for that. Bit of difficulty with booking dates but sorted out eventually. Near to some busy restaurants and bars and some Rooms get very noisy as a result. Ask for quiet side when booking.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I am only staying here one night. I checked in last night, slept soundly in a comfortable room and today I will be having a series of meetings. It is hard to fault the hotel for this kind of flying visit. The room is fine. The wifi is superb. I am on the 23rd floor so I can look out over Shenzhen a bit. I have had the breakfast (criticised by others but I thought it was fine) and I am now getting ready for my day. I check out in three hours but I will still be based in the hotel. No time for sightseeing.
If you want a good hotel for doing some business in Shenzhen, come here.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business