“Very convenient central location”

Marco Polo Shenzhen
Ranked #1,335 of 2,829 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I've stayed at this hotel twice now and were quite satisfied with the stay.
The best thing about the hotel is the location - centrally located in the city's CBD, yet close to bars, restaurants and shops in the two nearby malls (Shopping Plaza first and the Coco Park), which are within walking distance - about 3-5 minutes once you get out of the main lobby and turn right. There's a Jusco supermarket in Coco Park, so it's quite convenient. It's also very close to the metro station. The proximity to the "bar street" does mean there can be noise at night - some of my colleagues complained about it but I didn't hear anything.
The room itself is very modernly furnished, clean and comfy. The only thing is that it's on the smaller side size-wise.
The hotel staff are very friendly and genuienly helpful. You can tell they're well-trained. The breakfast is very nice - variety and quality.
As my company has a corparate contract price with the hotel so I can't comment on the value-for-money side.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Michelle H, Public Relations Manager at Marco Polo Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

Dear SoniaLovesHairyFish, many thanks for taking your time to share your experiences in our hotel. We are delighted to learn that you had an excellent stay with us and particularly value our hotel. We all look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We booked a room for 3 adults via hotelclub.com, unfortunately we found out that we were given a room with 2 small size beds and the room was so small that there was no space to add an extra bed. The hotel only provided us towels and bathroom utilities for 2 persons. Also, we have indicated that we wanted to have a non-smoking
room in the hotelclub.com web page, but when we check in, the front desk still asked us if we want to have a smoking or non-smoking room. We called hotelclub.com for help, and explained to them we had booked a room for 3 adults but now the hotel had given us a room just fit for 2 adults. They said it was our fault to book such a small room, we should book a bigger one. It was not acceptable to have such answer from a big agency like hotelclub.com. We indicated that we wanted to have a room for 3 adults at the very beginning, and the web site recommend the room for us, we suppose that the room with 2 beds that can fit 3 adults and should have 3 sets of towels. Finally the hotel gave us a corner room, a bit larger, but still with 2 small beds and 2 sets of towels. Later we checked the hotelclub.com web site, we couldn't book a room for 3 adults in this hotel. They have made some change after our case and this indicates that hotelclub.com and the hotel understood that giving a small room for someone booking for 3 adults was not acceptable.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Jameskwan
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Overall a pleasant experience with friendly staff, a great location, great breakfast selection, clean and well maintained guest room. Chinese restaurant is not my best pick for authentic Cantonese food, but club lounge has some nice offers to make for a great stay. The gym is well equipped and one of the best places in the hotel, same as the lovely outdoor pool.
Would for sure stay again, specially due to the location and the price compared with nearby competitors.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Brendamin W, Public Relations Manager at Marco Polo Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2017

Thank you very much for staying at Marco Polo Shenzhen and taking time to give us your feedback. We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 12 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed two day Marco polo hotel Shenzhen hotel near bank,shopping center same restaurant and night bar this time in Shenzhen holiday we are very lucky for traffic

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Serdar K
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Once upon a time, the Marco Polo Shenzhen was not only my favorite hotel in Shenzhen, it was my favorite hotel in South China. I travel all over China for business and was always happy to stay at Marco Polo Shenzhen. The staff knew my name. They knew what I liked. Everyone was always friendly. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case. The service has taken a nosedive and on a good day can only be described as "good enough that I didn't have to scream at someone to get what a 5-star hotel should have offered in the first place." Satisfied isn't even a word I am comfortable using. Cafe Marco is the worst of all. I haven't had a trouble-free dining experience there in well over a year (breakfast excluded). The front desk is slightly better, only because they do have occasional good days mixed in with the frustrating debacle days.

The worst part of it all, is that year after year, the hotel keeps raising prices, especially in the restaurants, while service is falling. Restaurant prices are now on par with Shangri-la and other 5-star luxury hotels. In all fairness, Marco Polo has stepped up its buffet offerings, but it is nowhere near Shangri-la or Ritz-Carlton. Unfortunately, the prices are.

The worst part is, I now dread coming because I don't know if it is going to be one of the pleasant experiences of the past or yet another blow up at the staff to fight tooth and nail to get what should rightfully be offered for the prices charged and the name Marco Polo. Really disappointing!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank jchanlifat
Reviewed 31 May 2013

The hotel is becoming old and worn down. Upon check in, got informed that no more non-smoking rooms available. As we insisted, 2 more non-smoking rooms magically appeared. Bf buffet is ok and good. Otherwise, not like a real luxurous Marco Polo anymore

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Marco Polo Shenzhen is my choice of stay when I needed to be in Shenzhen for work and have stayed here for 3 other occasions previously. Unfortunately the stay this time round wasnt as comfortable as it used to be. I was informed they are unable to provide me a non-smoking room when I checked in (I had requested for 1 when I booked the rooms). I had to 'volunteer' for a downgraded room in order to get a non-smoking room. I started getting nasty bites on my arms from the 2nd night ownards and the bites started getting worse each subsequent night.
I would advise the bed in room 2211 be changed..

Other than that, location is perfect and the cleaniness is always there...Thumbs up!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business