I've stayed at a lot of hotels in Shenzhen over the past 5 years and I keep coming back to the Grand Mercure for two reasons: it's well located near the Bao'an factory district and the hotel is good value for the price.
It does though have its slight issues.
I'll start with what's good:
1. Great location. Being near the main highway to Bao'an, the airport and Guangdong, you will save yourself about 25 minutes on each leg of a trip to your factory compared to being in the city centre Louhu. More if it's rush hour traffic.
2. As far as I'm concerned hotels in China fall into two main categories: 'Western' and 'Chinese' hotels. I learned a long time ago that I would prefer to stay in a basic and cheaper western hotel (i.e. Holiday Inn) compared to a five star Chinese hotel. Clean sheets and clean toilets are a basic requirement and I find the basic standard on these issues are more consistent in western hotels.
Of the western hotels I find they generally fall into two categories: really expensive ones: Sheraton, Intercontinental etc and more competitive such as the Grand Mercure. I prefer the later. At the grand mercure you’ll get a large room, 24/7 room service, FREE INTERNET, nice gym, pool etc etc. everything you’d expect at a significantly more competitive price. Whenever I’ve stayed at hotels like the Four Points you end up with a huge bill for extras like internet.
3. Five years ago the grand mercure had a lot of problems. Asking for anything in English on the phone for room service was a disaster. But over the years they’ve made massive improvements and generally the staff are always helpful and on hand when you need them.
4. The concierge and the local Chinese managers at the Grand Mercure are very friendly and professional. They always remember you when you return and do whatever they can to help.
What’s not great:
1.breakfast buffet is a war zone. Not much that can be done about that, but nonetheless it is a bad way to start the day.
2. The room service food is never warm and the choice is always lacking.
Overall though, I highly recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Mercure Oriental Ginza is located in the Futian business district, next to Zhuzlin metro station and only 20 minutes from the airport. The hotel features 481 rooms with a choice of bay or mountain views, 3 restaurants, 4 bars, a nightclub, fitnesscentre, sauna and indoor heated swimming pool. The port of Huanggang and the Shenzhen Convention and Exhibition Centre are only 15 minutes away. Conference and meeting facilites are also available for up to 350 delegates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, Ctrip TA, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and Hotel.de so you can book your Grand Mercure Shenzhen Oriental Ginza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Mercure Oriental Ginza Shenzhen Hotel Shenzhen
- Grand Accor Oriental Ginza Shenzhen