“great location and value for business travellers”

Grand Mercure Shenzhen Oriental Ginza
Ranked #27 of 2,769 Hotels in Shenzhen
Hong Kong/London
“great location and value for business travellers”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I've stayed at a lot of hotels in Shenzhen over the past 5 years and I keep coming back to the Grand Mercure for two reasons: it's well located near the Bao'an factory district and the hotel is good value for the price.

It does though have its slight issues.

I'll start with what's good:

1. Great location. Being near the main highway to Bao'an, the airport and Guangdong, you will save yourself about 25 minutes on each leg of a trip to your factory compared to being in the city centre Louhu. More if it's rush hour traffic.

2. As far as I'm concerned hotels in China fall into two main categories: 'Western' and 'Chinese' hotels. I learned a long time ago that I would prefer to stay in a basic and cheaper western hotel (i.e. Holiday Inn) compared to a five star Chinese hotel. Clean sheets and clean toilets are a basic requirement and I find the basic standard on these issues are more consistent in western hotels.

Of the western hotels I find they generally fall into two categories: really expensive ones: Sheraton, Intercontinental etc and more competitive such as the Grand Mercure. I prefer the later. At the grand mercure you’ll get a large room, 24/7 room service, FREE INTERNET, nice gym, pool etc etc. everything you’d expect at a significantly more competitive price. Whenever I’ve stayed at hotels like the Four Points you end up with a huge bill for extras like internet.

3. Five years ago the grand mercure had a lot of problems. Asking for anything in English on the phone for room service was a disaster. But over the years they’ve made massive improvements and generally the staff are always helpful and on hand when you need them.

4. The concierge and the local Chinese managers at the Grand Mercure are very friendly and professional. They always remember you when you return and do whatever they can to help.

What’s not great:

1.breakfast buffet is a war zone. Not much that can be done about that, but nonetheless it is a bad way to start the day.

2. The room service food is never warm and the choice is always lacking.

Overall though, I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: get business membership.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MarkPalfreeman
JaneYuan, Public Relations Manager at Grand Mercure Shenzhen Oriental Ginza, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay with Grand Mercure Oriental Ginza during your past 5 years visit to Shenzhen and thanks for your highly recommend. It was certainly a pleasure for us to be at your service.

We are delighted to know that you found our location to be convenient and appreciate our staff’s help. We did take every single review very important by years, in order to know our guest well and improve by every detail. Your feedback about the breakfast and room service was already transferred to our Food & Beverage team and a further research regarding this is ongoing.
Thank you again for your time. And we all look forward to welcoming you again soon to the Grand Mercure Oriental Ginza Hotel.

Grand Mercure Oriental Ginza Shenzhen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I highly recommend this hotel to anybody traveling on business. I stayed at an executive room, which was very good and convenient. The only critical point is the breakfast at the executive floor. It was good, but in my opinion to less typical chinese food were served.

Room Tip: Executive rooms
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
JaneYuan, Manager at Grand Mercure Shenzhen Oriental Ginza, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay with Grand Mercure Oriental Ginza during your recent visit to Shenzhen and thanks for your highly recommend. It was certainly a pleasure for us to be at your service. Your feedback about the breakfast in the executive was already transferred to our Food & Beverage team and a further research regarding this is going on.

Thank you again for your time.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Basically the location is quite convenient and near the Metro. The room is not the one I expected and seen on the hotel website. I ordered via the on-line and have requested the Deluxe Room, but it turns out that it is not the one I have seen on the website and shown on my reservation confirmation. However, the front desk told me that it is the same room room that I ordered. I told her that the Deluxe Room features is not the same as the hotel gave to me (i.e. Rm 1730). It is totally different what I have seen is the Superior Room (which shown on the website) but not I requested for Deluxe Room. Finally, she gave me Rm 1502 with a better view and she insisted this is the Deluxe Room. So I have no choice.

In conclusion, I always make the hotel reservation via on-line booking but I have not had any problem regarding the room type. What I have requested the other hotels can satisfy me with the same.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing Grand Mercure Oriental Ginza Shenzhen, P.R. China as your accommodation choice during your recent visit to Shenzhen.
We are delighted to know that you found our location to be convenient. We do, however, apologize for the problem you experienced in regards the difference between our picture on website and room. And for your information, we have 481 rooms with 8 different categories to suit different guest. The Superior twin room and Queen room have a mountain view, the Deluxe twin room, queen room and double beds room have a view of the bay. The Executive rooms are available with executive floor privileges. The Bay view suites are available with executive floor privileges with pleasant view of the bay.
Once again, thank you for taking time to write a review on our hotel and I do hope that we have the opportunity to show you our improvement in the future.

Best regards,
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The hotel just 3 minutes' walk from subway/underground station. Some rooms facing Shenzhen bay, golf driving range, the bridge connected China and Hong Kong, the view is good while sunny day but some rooms' view blocked by other building of the hotel; u cannot see anything but the wall of that building it just 3 metres from your room window, even cannot see any Sun light during day time.

Only a few chinese restaurants near the hotel, if u are chinese it would be find, if u are western, the only option for eat and drink are in the hotel(office shop provide western food; bar in 5th floor selling drinks), no bar, no western restaurant near the hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
JaneYuan, Manager at Grand Mercure Shenzhen Oriental Ginza, responded to this review, 12 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Grand Mercure Oriental Ginza Shenzhen, P.R. China as your accommodation choice during your recent visit to Shenzhen and we would like to express our gratitude to you for your comments about our hotel.

We are delighted to know that you found our location to be convenient. For the room, actually we have 8 different categories room to suit different guest. The Superior twin room and Queen room have a mountain view, the Deluxe twin room, queen room and double beds room have with extra space a view of the bay. The Bay view suites are available with executive floor privileges with pleasant view of Shenzhen bay. And for the dining options, our concierge team could offer you a large of choices if you want to search some different flavors.

Thank you again for your time.

Melbourne
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Great location immediately next to the subway from the airport - easy to catch the train from the very modern airport. We booked the executive rooms but they seemed confused that we when we booked for 2 adults and 1 child (10 years old) that we needed an extra bed. This was not uncommon in China. After much discussion we were able to add an extra bed to both of our rooms. The rooms are of a very high quality. The executive lounge was more suited to just businessmen, with not a lot for the kids to eat. So I would recommend that families stay in deluxe rooms with the general buffet. The girls used the pool - very fancy check in as they have a spa as well. For hygiene reasons they had to wear swimming caps. After our tricky start the hotel were extremely helpful. After a day of shopping my husband was delayed and it was getting late to catch the train to our next destination Hong Kong. The concierge organised for a mini van to take the 6 of us through the check points and straight to our hotel 200rmb each - worth it's weight in gold! Also for families, directly behind the hotel is a large supermarket. Downstairs is good value clothing - take the escalator and there is all the food and snacks you need for families. There is also a KFC! We would stay again - great hotel.

Room Tip: Families with extra children should book the Deluxe rooms, rather than the Executive rooms - more sp...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
We are so glad that you enjoyed your time in Grand Mercure Oriental Ginza Shenzhen.Your kind words have been passed on to our staff and this will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work. Your feedback about the selection of food for kids in executive lounge has been passed to our Food&Beverage Team. An adjustment will be worked out soon.
It was certainly a pleasure for us to be at your service and we all look forward to welcoming you again soon to the Grand Mercure Oriental Ginza Hotel.