“Something wrong”

Grand Mercure Shenzhen Oriental Ginza
Ranked #27 of 2,814 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Staying at this hotel for 3 nights since it was closer to one of the Metro station versus the Novotel Watergate hotel. This is a nice hotel and is very close to the Metro, about 30 second walk from the Metro B2 Exit. Have a nice indoor swimming pool, big bathroom, big bedrooms, free internet thru cable, wifi modem available for charge. But there was 3 things that give me a feel that there must be something wrong at this hotel. 1. After check in I was thirsty after dry air on a 3 hour flight to Shenzhen, reaching for one of the glass in the minibar area made me sick, there was some fluid inside the glass that was very dirty, if it come from wine or a human or something else I don't know, but this was for 2 of the 4 glasses. I didn't use the glasses at my stay even I got them cleaned the same day. 2. At check-out I discovered they where trying to charge me for 3 nights stay that I already had paid in advance when I booked, due late arrival/promotion on the accor hotels website. 3. I did present my A-Club card on both check-in and check-out but at check-out I was told that they could not give me any points for me stay. I checked the www.accorhotels.com website right now and there is no mention of this, not either in the terms of stay. So a good hotel, but there is something wrong here!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JimJumBKK
JaneYuan, Public Relations Manager at Grand Mercure Shenzhen Oriental Ginza, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you to have post a comment on TripAdvisor. Guest’s feedbacks are very important to us in order to keep updated our operational standards for the highest satisfaction of our guests.

We are delighted to know that you found our location to be convenient. Indeed, such location is a great value for both business travelers and leisure travelers. We do, however, apologize for the unacceptable behavior you experienced, while we always strive for a superior service to our customers. The relevant department has taken the immediate action to rectify the problem that was mentioned in your feedback.

We hope that you give us the chance to show you a better face in a soon future. Please receive our best regards.

Yours faithfully,

There are newer reviews for Grand Mercure Shenzhen Oriental Ginza

Reviewed 29 May 2012

I've stayed at the Grand Mercure on 4 occasions in the past 6 months, each visit ranging from 14 to 18 nights - unlike other hotels that I have stayed at in Shenzhen this hotel refuses to accept or credit my loyalty card (I'm a Gold Accor Member) because the room was booked with a corporate rate. If you are faced with the same problem, just wait until you get home visit the Accor website - there is a section in there to claim missing points and they always oblige.

I regularly stay at other "western" 5* hotels in Shenzhen which are booked through the same company and each of these is happy to honor my loyalty - at the end of the day I have the final choice where I stay and I will certainly not want to go back to the Mercure. I have in fact just returned from another 16 nights in Shenzhen, this time at the far superior JW Marriot.

The other thing about the Mercure that I found particularly annoying was their policy on pre-authorising large sums of money on my credit card. For a 2 week stay, i was asked to pre-authorise over twice the nightly rate for the whole 2 weeks - and this was still blocked on my card when I went to check out and had to use another source of funds. This wasn't a one off occurrence, it happened on all 4 of my visits. I have no idea how they imagine you can run up such a large bill - I'd have to eat about 5 dinners and order a couple of bottle of Champagne each night for 2 weeks!

The local area if fine - a bit grotty and not too many nice places to eat but a short metro ride or taxi journey is easy enough. Just make sure you have the name of the hotel and directions to give to the taxi driver as a lot of them didn't have a clue.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Gavin R

Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing Grand Mercure Oriental Ginza Shenzhen Hotel and conveying your comment to us. Please accept our sincere apologies for that your experience did not meet your expectation.
It is always important for us to receive constructive comments like yours that we can strive to continuously improve the quality of our services and products. We have taken actions to make the inspection and improvement in the problem you feedback.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back and experience our change in a soon future.
Best regards,

Reviewed 24 May 2012

Convenient transportation,good hotel and good service, receptionist is efficient and friendly.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
JaneYuan, Public Relations Manager at Grand Mercure Shenzhen Oriental Ginza, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Grand Mercure Oriental Ginza Shenzhen, P.R. China as your accommodation choice during your recent visit to Shenzhen and we are pleased to hear that you are satisfied with our hotel. We are delighted to learn that you had a good stay with us and particularly value our hotel. Your comments on the service provided by our receptionist and the good comment about our service are most gratifying and will be shared with the whole team.

Once again, It was certainly a pleasure for us to be at your service and we all look forward to welcoming you again soon to the Grand Mercure Oriental Ginza Shenzhen.

Yours sincerely,

An Accor traveller
hong kong
Reviewed 23 May 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank An Accor traveller

Reviewed 20 May 2012

This hotel is a little out of the way (about 10min subway ride) into the main shopping district. The surrounding area is very leafy and the exterior and lobby of the hotel seemed to have been recently refreshed. The interiors of the rooms have had a soft refurbishment, but it reminded me of a early 90's hotel that had been redone. The bathroom has a new sink taps etc, but the ceiling was shabby and the bathtub old.

Overall it was for one nights stay and i would recommend it. The breakfast was substantial and good. Staff are like all in China - lacking in English but attentative when needed.

Concierge were excellent and really helped with planning out the day and directions to get to Hong Kong.

Room Tip: catch the Subway everywhere
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
JaneYuan, Public Relations Manager at Grand Mercure Shenzhen Oriental Ginza, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Grand Mercure Oriental Ginza Shenzhen, P.R. China as your accommodation choice during your recent visit to Shenzhen and we are pleased to hear that you are in general satisfied with our hotel. It is always encouraging to receive positive comments like yours that we will share with our team as to continuously improve the quality of our services. Meanwhile, we do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced in regards to being able to communicate fluently in English with some staff. Despite our best effort to be selective in our hiring and offering English lessons to our staff, this is an area in which we certainly can improve in. We hope that you give us the chance to show you a better face in a soon future.
Please receive our best regards.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 20 May 2012

The service and facilities of this hotel are excellent. I very much appreciated the attitude of the staff.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
JaneYuan, Front Office Manager at Grand Mercure Shenzhen Oriental Ginza, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing Grand Mercure Oriental Ginza Shenzhen, P.R. China as your accommodation choice during your recent visit to Shenzhen and I would like to express our gratitude to you for your good comments about our hotel. I will share your comments with our team, which will encourage us for the continuous improvement in the future.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 17 May 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LeeStAt
JaneYuan, Public Relations Manager at Grand Mercure Shenzhen Oriental Ginza, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2012