“Restful”

InterContinental Shenzhen
Ranked #5 of 2,833 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed 16 December 2011

My first impression when I entered the driveway to the hotel - spacious. This place is impressive. The room is very well kept and the space allocated to the room gave me the sense of enjoyment.

If you notice in my past few reviews, I value the ability to sleep in hotel room high on my list. This place would have scored a triple A in this area. The pillow, the mattress seems to be in synchronization.

The 2 restaurants - Indochine and El Chino served pretty tasty dinners. I enjoyed the foods there. The service may be a little slow, you just got to find something to amuse yourself and for it, it was my ipad.

I must highlight one very pleasant experience I had with this staff Terence Wu. He works in the concierge. I provided him with my client's address in English. He got it written in Mandarin, got me a google map, stayed with me till I got a taxi, explained to the taxi driver where I wanted to go to. Thanks Terence for helping to make my morning right.

I will definitely return to stay in Intercontinental Shenzhen when I return again the next time.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Fook L
Alfred Z, Director of Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

We appreciate your comment. It is our honor to receive you to stay with us, and we will look foward to your return in near future.

Reviewed 3 December 2011

At first i found it a little overwhelming when trying to select accommodation in Shenzhen as I had no idea how large the city actually was. I decided on the IC due to Ambassador benefits. I booked a Club Room, as I was unfamiliar with the city and the area and thought lounge access may come in handy if we were limited with local dining options. My overall experience thoroughly exceeded any expectations I may have had. The hotel has a strong Spanish theme and is decorated accordingly. The sheer size of the property is impressive in itself - like nothing i expected for a city hotel. Although you can smoke in a number of places in China, I found absolutely no evidence of cigarette odour anywhere throughout the property, but instead a pleasant aroma filtering throughout the hotel.

To begin with, we caught the train from Hong Kong to Luo Hu and caught a taxi from the Luo Hu train station to the hotel. The taxi ride was about 30 mins. and cost approx. 60 RMB (approx. $10.00 AUD as at 11/2011). A little word of warning - the taxi drivers speak very little (if any) English. We had printed the name and address of the hotel in Chinese characters which proved VERY useful. For those who are familiar with Shenzhen, you can catch the Shenzhen Metro from Luo Hu to the IC - it's the 'green' Metro line, approx. 13 stops from Luo Hu to the OCT stop (Overseas Chinese Town). There is a Metro entry / exit point right out of the front of the hotel.

We were immediately greeted by a porter in a great Spanish outfit who assisted us with our luggage and showed us to the check in desk. He offered us refreshments and remained with us throughout the check in process and then escorted us up to our room. Our room was ready and fully prepared for our arrival with welcome letters and a cute Spanish bull 'beanie bear' sitting next to the bed, as well as plenty of bottled still and sparkling water, fresh fruit and a comprehensive city guide. The room was large and spacious, with a separate luggage / walk in robe area, a huge bathroom with bathtub and TV, vanity and enclosed shower and toilet. The room even had a balcony with outdoor seating. Bed was really comfortable, great TV and BOSE sound system. No movies available for purchase, but instead, you can borrow DVDs free of charge.

The Club Lounge was comfortable, spacious and nicely decorated. There was ample seating inside, as well as an outdoor deck area with seating and water features. Lounge access included hot buffet breakfast and evening canapes prepared by one of the restaurants within the hotel on a nightly rotating basis, meaning the cuisine changes every night. A special mention to Elena in the Club Lounge - probably the best service i have encountered from a staff member at any IC property around the world. Elena took time out to prepare and serve us a selection of canapes and offered advice and literature to assist us with our time in Shenzhen.

The hotel facilities were excellent. There is a large gym, spa, hair salon and indoor swimming pool. There is beautiful greenery and pathways outside surrounding a man made artificial beach which appeared pleasantly clean. The beach / outdoor pool area is sizeable, with separate areas for children with play equipment and slides. Walking around the beach area almost felt like walking through a botanic-style garden. There are a number of impressive restaurants within the hotel, each with an extensive menu. We ate at the French restaurant 'Pipette'. The food was of outstanding quality and very enjoyable.

The hotel is next door to the 'Splendid China' & 'Chinese Folk Culture Village' attractions, and is also within 10 minutes' walking distance to the 'Wonders of the World' attraction and Yi Tian Holiday Plaza - a fairly upmarket shopping centre. As mentioned earlier, there is a Shenzhen Metro stop basically out the front of the hotel. You can take a monorail ride from the front of the Chinese Folk Culture Village - approx. a 15-20 minute round trip.

Based on my experience, I have only positive thoughts and experiences to share about this property. Overall service was outstanding, and I am very critical when it comes to service. I would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat. I am that impressed that I would re-book this hotel for any future stays without comparing to any other properties.

Room Tip: If within the budget, pay the extra to book a Club Room - the room itself was fantastic, and the Clu...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

We highly appreciate your generous comment. This is really encouraging for our staff and management upon reading this feedback. InterContinental Shenzhen will keep up our efforts to deliver exceptional service to every guest. Wish you all the best and look forward to your return in near future.

Reviewed 30 October 2011

On the face of things, this looks a very nice hotel. The 'finishing' is not of the highest quality.

Service was fine. This was my fourth stay in Shenzhen and my third hotel - it would be my second choice on any retun visit.

One niggle - I left my iPod charging in my room and all my music has been compressed (no gaps between tracks). I do hope it's not been tampered with!

• Stayed: October 2011

Thank you for your feedback. We will take it seriously to improve every possible detail to enhance guest satisfaction and ensure exceptional experience to every guest. Look forward to your return soon.

Reviewed 28 October 2011

I just want to acknowledge Silvan, the bar manager at the Galleon Bar in this beautiful hotel. The service at the hotel was superb, but as the manager of one of the busiest bars in the hotel he was amazing. We were part of a large business meeting but he always took the time to talk to us, make us feel comfortable and stopped by every night to make sure everything was perfect. We even got to go to the top of the ship for a view. It was such a pleasure to meet him, the hotel should be proud to have him there.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Alfred Z, Director of Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2011

Thank you for your postive comment. It was our greatest pleasure to have you stay in our hotel. Meanwhile, we have informed Silvan of your comment and he was really excited and proud. We all look forward to your return. All the best.

Reviewed 28 October 2011

I spent two nights with my wife and son in late Oct. The room was facing the "Boat Bar" where I could hear some noise outside my room at night. The room was not cleaned thoroughly where dusts could be found on top of the LCD TV, etc. They did not replenish tea bags and bath salt, etc when cleaning my room, I needed to call the housekeeping to get them. Even I alerted them I would spend my holiday with my son in advance, no extra slipper, pillow or toothbrush was prepared for him, I was a bit disappointed.
Their services really need to be improved in some aspects. When we walked back to hotel from the train station at night, we were stopped rudely by the security guard and asked where we were going. I had a bad experience at the buffet breakfast. The chef did not ask me what I would like as I was standing quietly and patiently in front of the counter, but the chef served other customers who jumped in front of me. Some of the chef even didn't understand simple English.
However, it was still a superb and efficient hotel in China. It had a great outdoor swimming pool where my son loved it very much.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank CTLAI

We are sorry that you had an unhappy experience during your stay. For the issue you mentioned, we have informed house-keeping department to find out the reason and make sure such case not happen in the future. Many thanks for you to speak it out.

Reviewed 22 October 2011

Close to the attraction. Excellent room and breadfast buffet. Top class hotel in Shenzhen or even in China.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Thanks for your favorite comment. Look forward to your return.

Reviewed 14 October 2011

Clean environment, Big rooms, good for family stay. Not far from attraction sites. But honestly, there isn't much to do there.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Alfred Z, Director of Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2011

Dear Eugene,

Many thanks for your comment, and we look forward to your next trip to Shenzhen and wish you would continue to stay with us.

InterContinental Shenzhen is one of the first Spanish-themed hotels. Apart from the 8 catering outlets with flavors from around the world, the hotel also runs Hua Art Gallery, which is part of our property and is one of the first gallery in China to be designated to modern art and design. We should be very happy to show you around in the gallery in your next stay with us. The hotel is also close to theme parks and shopping mall for you to kill your time.

Wish you all the best and look forward to your next visit.

Alfred