“Horrible Management”

Ranked #4 of 2,754 Hotels in Shenzhen
London, United Kingdom
“Horrible Management”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I have never seen such a horrible management, they are not able to solve anything.

First they made a mistake as usual again on my breakfast (which spouse to be included) and a person came and said that he is the responsible of front office and told me that I am sorry but you need pay for it WITHOUT ANY RESEARCH on my booking amazing!!!,

and in the breakfast one of the manager came and he introduce himself that his the director or assistant director (don't remember) and he said breakfast will be removed from my bill, SUCH A JOKE OF THE MORNING, after my breakfast OF COURSE I paid the breakfast because management doesn't have any communication between each other.

The best hotel of what? let me tell you "the best hotel of "create horrible customer service"

anyways, when I went my room to take my luggage, I called front office people again to send somebody to my room to take my luggage 10 minutes nobody came, I took my luggage by myself and call a taxi and run out of this hotel.

this hotel should change to name to "self service InterCon Shenzhen" if people doing such a bad service it is not because they don't how to make it better, it is obvious that their managers (General Manager is the KEY) sleeping in their office.

it was my last time in that hotel, I will do my best to tell anybody this experience and I don't believe that, it will difficult if you are working one of the big news paper in UK.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank DanielC229
Alfred Z, Director of Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
We are sorry that you had an unhappy experience during your stay. Please accept our sincere apology. For the issue you mentioned, we will immediately notify related department heads, including our senior management, and take concrete action to ensure such incident not happen again in the future. Many thanks for you to speak it out.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
NJ
Reviewed 21 April 2012

This Spanish-themed Intercontinental used to be my favorite hotel in China but the hospitality services provided seems to have slid a notch since my memorable visits in 2009. The guest relations officers can be quite testy, one female GRO even challenged me in English after failing an argument in Mandarin Chinese, so I no longer check-in at the spot reserved for Ambassador program members. To be fair, the front desk did, after some prompting, accommodate me to a suite upgrade and provided the full club lounge benefits on my most recent weekend stay, a PRC points redemption stay no less. Free minibar privileges, 4 pm check-out, and club lounge benefits were always honored for Royal Ambassadors in my experience. There was this one discrepancy amongst the staffs as to if the dry cleaning allowance (which is a part of club lounge benefits) are specifically excluded for upgraded guests, so verify and note who you asked to avoid potential heartburn over the issue at check-out. The indoor pool and fitness center on property is managed separately, so while the facilities are nice (including loaner work-out clothes – but no shoes), forget about hospitality services there, the experience every single time is that the workers there are uniformly unprofessional and work hard to get by doing as little as possible. With many F&B options on-site, I would contend that the food offerings are not as good as three years ago, but still pricey and adequate. If you like bulls, this is the hotel for you, bulls on uniforms, paintings and caricatures of bulls adorned throughout the hotel. The subway station is directly in front of the hotel and there is an art museum adjacent to hotel.

The rooms are spacious with tall ceilings and a large patio, many rooms have great views of the manmade beach on property or of the Galleon Bar, which is an over-sized replica of a historic ship. There is a difference in the décor of the rooms on the East (lighter colored rooms and darker colored/more enclosed feeling bathrooms) vs the West (darker themed rooms with lighter/more open bathrooms) wings, I personally prefer the room décor of the West wing. The 8-story hotel is spawned out in a zig-zag shape, it could be a very long trek to some rooms so confirm at check-in the location relative to the elevators; note many suites are at the ends of the hallways. The bathrooms contain TVs (except in the suite bathroom for some reason) and the shallow tubs in the rooms are big enough for two to spread out together in.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2012

5* feeling hotel. Plenty of staff, great rooms, location and restaurants. Cant complain about anything apart from the cheesy mock Spanish "look and feel".

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ecossebdr
Thank you again for staying with us, and we will look forward to your return in a near future. InterContinental Shenzhen is the first Spanish themed luxury hotel in China, and committed to deliver exceptional service and outstanding experiences to every guest.
Hong Kong
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed in a deluxe double room with our 2,5 and 7 yr. old kids and loved it. Bathrooms are huge with bath big enough for the four of us. Missing english language children tv channels was sonly minus. Swimming pool outside not open but looked spectacular with the life-size pirate ship and the slides! Indoor pool wonderful and huge like everything in the hotel. Went to close by Window of the World (fun but quite run down) and Happy Valley Amusement park (great rides but bring your own food if you don't like chinese and if your kids are blond like mine they will be one of the main attractions to the chinese visitors). The Brazilian restaurant in the hotel had some of the best meat I ever had. Breakfast is completely over the top and really worth the money. Service is good. Lots of staff everywhere. Will def go back for another weekend to enjoy the outdoor pool and the watermark in Happy Valley.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank GwendolynHongKong
Thank you for your nice comment. It is very happy to learn that you and your family enjoyed staying with us. This further encourages us to keep up our commitments to deliver exceptional service to our guests. Look forward to your return in the near future.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Probably one of the two or three best hotels I've ever stayed in. I've been twice for a conference and it hasn't disappointed. Rooms are MASSIVE and beautifully appointed. Bathroom is wonderful, with a fantastic rain shower that's hard to tear yourself away from. The hotel itself is also large, with a funky Spanish ship motif and tons of restaurants. Staff is very nice. A waitress at the bar accidentally spilled a beer on me and the front desk arranged to have it dry cleaned overnight. By the time I came back to the room after breakfast, the pants were cleaned and hanging in my closet. A great experience and highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Eric J
Thank you for your favorable comment. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and your satisfaction is the best prize to us. Look forward to your return in the near future.
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 27 March 2012

this is i think one of the best luxurious hotel i had evered stay. Rooms were really big and the facilities were superb. I like the horn in each and every room. the food in the buffet area is simply the best. I also like the uniforms of their staff.

being able to speak mandarin. check in and check out was a breeze. as an Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, our rooms are upgraded by 2 notch and we were able to ransack the mini bar. Not to mention they check me in my room and did not get approval from my credit card or maybe they did without my knowledge

it was one of my most memorable stay hotel ever

Room Tip: I am not sure but my room is simply the best.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank hasonteh1
Thank you for your comment. We are so glad that you enjoyed our facility and service. Being the first Spanish themed luxury hotel in China, InterContinental Shenzhen is committed to bring wonders to our guests. Look forward to your return soon.
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I goto shenzhen very often but i have never stayed in such a warm, nice, hospitable hotel in Shenzhen. The rooms are very nice and spacious.

The staff is extremely courteous.

The rooms very extremely comfortable. I would definately recommend this hotel.

The hotels location is also very good. It is located right next to the subway station.

The restaurants in the hotel are very good and the food is great.

Although i didnot have time to visit the hotel spa, but i heard that the spa is one of the best in shenzhen.

Overall a wonderfull experience.

Room Tip: Take a room near the elevators otherwise you have to take a long walk to the room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Raj b
Thank you for your compliment. Meanwile, we are happy to learn that you are satisfied with our facility and service. Look forward to your return in the near future.