InterContinental Shenzhen
US$187
US$174
  • Pool
1,543 results
All reviewsspanish themepirate shipgalleon barbrazilian restaurantsand beachreal sandstaff dressedthemed hoteloutdoor poolhuge hotelthe club loungetheme parkf bsplendid chinarooms are hugeappointed roomswalk in closet
Reviewed 18 May 2012

The decor is not what you would expect in a business district in China - the Spanish theme seems out of place - but it does add visual interest (the Galleon Bar is actually IN a Galleon!) but does not detract from the excellent service or amenities of the hotel. Rooms are very spacious and well thought out. The bathroom was enormous and the in-room safe and iron/ironing board always welcome. Elevators were amazingly quick, so no issues with what floor you are on. The conference center is also well located, but Wi-Fi at the hotel is spotty. Consider bringing your own - however we were at a business conference so likely all of our attendees were taxing the hotels resources.

The location is close to many businesses but within walking distance to a shopping center but people who went reported there were not real deals available there.

Breakfast is a huge buffet with made-to-order eggs. Sometimes the chef doesn't quite finish the eggs so keep an eye out and maybe ask to cook them a bit longer. Coffee was hit or miss and not sure how to fix that. Sometimes we had coffee right away and other times it took 15 minutes to get a cup. Minor issue however.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk if the highway construction is still going on. Drilling/pounding doesn't stop until midnight and starts at 7am. If so, choose a room that overlooks the pool (which is a better view anyway).
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Liz W, Communications officer at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Thank you for your kind review and comment, we are glad to hear your compliment about our nice facility, excellent service and amenities. For the Wi-Fi issue you mentioned, we will immediately notify related department, including our senior management, and take concrete action to ensure a better services in the future! Thank you again for your precious time and comments. Wish everything goes well with your work and life!

Reviewed 10 May 2012

There are many hotels in China and Shenzhen with good service and 5-star amenities but this one takes the cake. The Gym, pool, dining facilities were all top-notch, and service was unfailingly spectacular. The Galleon Bar was just amazing, the only downside was it was kind of empty on a weeknight - but that didn't stop the band from playing on. The rooms were true 5-star with fruit, water, jacuzzi tubs, balconies, the works.

During Lunch there was a huge rush in the cafe and the head chef himself came out to lend a hand and scoop gelato. They also have decent beer on tap, hard to find in China. I also had dinner in the Chinese restaurant and it was excellent. Expensive yes, but if you want cheap there are plenty of good options in Shenzhen.

It has a huge pool and sandy beach and would be a great place if the family were along for a day or to.

Only downside would be the silly costumes the bellmen wear, given the level of professionalism and attention to detail this is really unnecessary.

Clearly a spectacularly run hotel, puts the Beijing Intercontinental to shame,

Room Tip: Some rooms have a LONG WALK. Request a room close to the elevators.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your time and detailed descriptions of our marvelous facilities, professional amenities and your observation towards our Spanish styled uniforms. Wish next time when you step into our hotel, you would be inspired by our lobby ambassador in elegant long dress. Wish you all the best with work and life! Thank you!

Reviewed 3 May 2012

I was really pleased with this hotel
Magnificent place. At first I was turned off by the costumes and the entry decor. Toreros wearing pink pants, and bulls head everywhere.... Am I in China?
The the rest of the hotel is great. Quite expensive drinks, if you want to have wine or cocktails; you see the prices rocketing. Service is good though, and you have plenty of choice when it comes to eat.
I tried three restaurants and they where all delicious. Service always great.
The pool is very nice for families with young children, since their is an artificial beach and area for kids to play safely. There is a a big galion in the middle of the pool, reminding us that this land was belonging to the sea not so long ago. In the galion you find a restaurant and a disco.
The rooms are clean and spacious. Especially the bathroom; I think I never saw something so spacious in my life. The bath is huge. All is new and very well maintained.

I had a massage at the spa and it was a great experience. The personel is professional and kind, the ambiance relaxing has you would expect in that kind of premices. I would recommend it as well.

It is a great hotel for family since there is a lot of attractions for them around.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Alfred Z, Director of Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Thank you for your kind comment and we are really glad you enjoyed staying with us. We look forward to your return in the future. Meanwhile, we would like to take this opportunity to wish you a happy Mother's Day for this coming Sunday on May 13th.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

I have never seen such a horrible management, they are not able to solve anything.

First they made a mistake as usual again on my breakfast (which spouse to be included) and a person came and said that he is the responsible of front office and told me that I am sorry but you need pay for it WITHOUT ANY RESEARCH on my booking amazing!!!,

and in the breakfast one of the manager came and he introduce himself that his the director or assistant director (don't remember) and he said breakfast will be removed from my bill, SUCH A JOKE OF THE MORNING, after my breakfast OF COURSE I paid the breakfast because management doesn't have any communication between each other.

The best hotel of what? let me tell you "the best hotel of "create horrible customer service"

anyways, when I went my room to take my luggage, I called front office people again to send somebody to my room to take my luggage 10 minutes nobody came, I took my luggage by myself and call a taxi and run out of this hotel.

this hotel should change to name to "self service InterCon Shenzhen" if people doing such a bad service it is not because they don't how to make it better, it is obvious that their managers (General Manager is the KEY) sleeping in their office.

it was my last time in that hotel, I will do my best to tell anybody this experience and I don't believe that, it will difficult if you are working one of the big news paper in UK.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank DanielC229
Alfred Z, Director of Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

We are sorry that you had an unhappy experience during your stay. Please accept our sincere apology. For the issue you mentioned, we will immediately notify related department heads, including our senior management, and take concrete action to ensure such incident not happen again in the future. Many thanks for you to speak it out.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

This Spanish-themed Intercontinental used to be my favorite hotel in China but the hospitality services provided seems to have slid a notch since my memorable visits in 2009. The guest relations officers can be quite testy, one female GRO even challenged me in English after failing an argument in Mandarin Chinese, so I no longer check-in at the spot reserved for Ambassador program members. To be fair, the front desk did, after some prompting, accommodate me to a suite upgrade and provided the full club lounge benefits on my most recent weekend stay, a PRC points redemption stay no less. Free minibar privileges, 4 pm check-out, and club lounge benefits were always honored for Royal Ambassadors in my experience. There was this one discrepancy amongst the staffs as to if the dry cleaning allowance (which is a part of club lounge benefits) are specifically excluded for upgraded guests, so verify and note who you asked to avoid potential heartburn over the issue at check-out. The indoor pool and fitness center on property is managed separately, so while the facilities are nice (including loaner work-out clothes – but no shoes), forget about hospitality services there, the experience every single time is that the workers there are uniformly unprofessional and work hard to get by doing as little as possible. With many F&B options on-site, I would contend that the food offerings are not as good as three years ago, but still pricey and adequate. If you like bulls, this is the hotel for you, bulls on uniforms, paintings and caricatures of bulls adorned throughout the hotel. The subway station is directly in front of the hotel and there is an art museum adjacent to hotel.

The rooms are spacious with tall ceilings and a large patio, many rooms have great views of the manmade beach on property or of the Galleon Bar, which is an over-sized replica of a historic ship. There is a difference in the décor of the rooms on the East (lighter colored rooms and darker colored/more enclosed feeling bathrooms) vs the West (darker themed rooms with lighter/more open bathrooms) wings, I personally prefer the room décor of the West wing. The 8-story hotel is spawned out in a zig-zag shape, it could be a very long trek to some rooms so confirm at check-in the location relative to the elevators; note many suites are at the ends of the hallways. The bathrooms contain TVs (except in the suite bathroom for some reason) and the shallow tubs in the rooms are big enough for two to spread out together in.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple