“Luxury at its best”

InterContinental Shenzhen
Ranked #7 of 2,791 Hotels in Shenzhen
“Luxury at its best”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Intercon Shenzhen stands for the ultimate in luxury with extra large opulent rooms and a bathroom that is so luxurious that you probably wouldn't like to come out of it this hotel stands for the best that a world class chain can offer , set and designed in a Spanish theme . The hotel is best if you are on a holiday and plan to spend more time in the fantastic rooms but for my trip on business which meant that I went to the room only to sleep it was a bit of a waste not to make best use of this luxurious accommodation

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Alfred Z, Director of Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Thank you for staying with us. It is our pleasure to present you all our best to ensure a comfortable and exceptional experience. Wish you all the best and look forward to your soon return.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai
Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

Checked in at 1am and asked for a nice room. Offered was something for 900usd a night. At this time I didn't asked much question. Room was spacious and location of the hotel is very peaceful. During check in the reception could not guranty to send my bags to the room since his colegue had has dinner. Always good to know. The nightclub service didn't speak a word of English and where ready to send me off at 1:30am even the opening time was stated until 2 am. Next morning I noticed the staircase to the roof top terrace which was filled with dried leaves. It had a nice view and a bath tub which was filled with dirt and leaves. The wooden sun bed was moldy and the sun umbrella was broken on the floor. I expected that for my second night somebody would clean or fix it, but that was not the case. During breakfast my table was cleared faster I could go to the buffet and come back, very efficient in that case. In Alenha Brazilian restaurant we had as well communication problems where ordering a beer seemed to be a mission while a soup was served half way down the dinner and the tapas condiments were served at the end of the night. At departure a group of managers where waiting for somebody more iportant then my departure, while playing on phones they where not able to bid farewell. However, the first picture is impressive even with the strange Spanish touch all over. Pool is fantastic and I was able to do my work out in the gym at the breakfast you will get lost with all the offerings and even the location let you easy travel from side to side of the city. If you don't worry about the details, stay in.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Mimimiiiii
Alfred Z, Director of Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Thank you for letting us know problems that appeared during your stay. Kindly allow us to apologize for the unpleasant experience. We've reflected it to our operations team and notified our management as well. You can be assured actions will be taken immediately to ensure you a perfect stay during your next visit. Look forward to your soon return.
Leicester
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights on a business trip. Had the largest, best equipped room ever, complete with balcony, walk in closet and fantastic bathroom. There's a couple of restaurants including a buffet style place that's good at breakfast time, and a really good curry house on one of the lower floors. There's an outside bar that's a ship where I think they brew their own beer. Its right next to the metro/tube (wifi throughout!) and close to the Windows on the World theme park. If you are in Shenzhen on business its a very comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Alfred Z, Director of Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. InterContinental Shenzhen is committed to ensure exceptional experience to our guests. Look forward to your return in a near future.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 30 May 2013

The design of the hotel is like a red bull, using the color mix of red & black, which gives a very warm feeling for all the guests.

I especially like many decorations using the cow, the whole design is very much different from a business hotel, instead, it's more like a resort hotel, which is just a short distance to the business district of Shenzhen.

Booked a room and it's spacious, with a quite a good view of the open door pool in the middle of hotel, and a breeze of the chinese theme park nearby.

Tried the thai restaurant, the decoration is nice, the food is okay, but it seems tailor-made to the local citizen (which is not as spicy and tasty as other local thai restaurant). The buffet breakfast is also just okay~~ lacking the selection of food and many things not refilled near the end of the breakfast hour (I had breakfast at 10am).

Overall, this is a hotel certainly I will visit.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a upgrade. I like the view facing the middle swiming pool
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Alfred Z, Director of Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Thank you for your comment and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Look forward to your soon return.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Wow, what a hotel !!! Classy Spanish theme hotel with one of the most impressive bars I have ever seen. It looks like a ship !!!
Rooms are immaculate and if you manage to get an upgrade then you are seriously in for a treat.
Breakfast caters for your every wish and food quality is 10/10
This is my only destination when staying in Shenzhen !!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Alfred Z, Director of Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Thank you for staying with us and we are glad you enjoyed the experience here in our hotel. We sincerely look forward to your return in a near future. Wish you all the best.
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 23 May 2013

The currency exchange is ill-equipped. They take a lot of time, and get worn easily, esp if they see a queue. Generally most of the staff has limited understanding of English, and it is a pain to explain anything.The rooms are large, well equipped and Bath facilities are really good.
It is a huge place, and if you are towards the end of the tentacles, be prepared to a 10 min walk to reach the lobby.
Pool is really good, though the open air pool is hardly used by anyone.

Room Tip: Close to reception
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Alfred Z, Director of Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Thank you for your comment. We will highlight the points you mentioned for our management team, and follow up with concrete actions for further enhancement. WIsh you all the best and look forward to your return.
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 18 May 2013

The rooms are large, well equipped and have great bathtubs. Large enough for Mom, Dad and a kid or two. This is a very family friendly hotel. I found all of the staff to be friendly and helpful.
The pool area is amazing. We went in early May and the water was 26C.....a bit cool for the cloudy weather but bearable......The pool is large and has a sandy beach to enter on one side with a small island. I bet it is tons of fun in the summer with the "sit in the pool" bar. There are also some kids water slides on the back side of the "ship". They were closed for maintenance when we were there, so I don't know when or if they open. Anyways, the huge indoor pool will keep kids busy on a rainy day.

The "Galleon" Bar is great! It is not well signed and I believe only accessible from one elevator, but worth finding it. They currently have a band made up of Canadians. Talked to them for a bit. Great people and they play great music. However, they don't start until 10PM. Their beer is brewed on site....I believe they have a wheat, dark and lager.

There are also a number of restaurants on the premises (Thai/Indian, french, brazilian, Chinese...). they all looked good but didn't open till around 6PM (except the Chinese restaurant).. Since my son was worn out by then, we ended up eating at the "Mercado", the breakfast area serving a la carte throughout the day. We ate dinner there 3 nights in a row since there aren't many other options in the area.

This restaurant shows a number of children size portions in the room service menu, but we were told that they were unavailable in the restaurant.......They directed me to the ca. 90RMB adult pastas for my 3 year old. We decided to share our meal, despite it being served western style. The first meal was OK, but I finished my meal before my wife received hers (again, assuming we were sharing all dishes at a western style restaurant). I had dan dan noodle and my wife had pizza. The second meal we had the same problem of me finishing the meal before my wife got food. She had a tenderloin steak and I had Chorizo soup and a ham panini....again, no children sized portions. The panini came as a cold, old, dry "ciabatta" with one slice of ham, one piece of lettuce and what appeared to be process cheese from a plastic wrapper.......served cold and dry as a bone. I am not a complainer, so I just sucked it up , gave my son the other half and went on.....the steak was OK.

On the third night, I went to the front desk and asked if there were any other options for food before 6PM (being that it was a Friday night. They said no and had no advice for nearby places, since it was pouring rain. I told them that I didn't wan't to eat at the Mercado again because of past problems. However, they assured me that the manager of the restaurant would make sure everything was right and they also assured me that kid size portions should always e available....as listed in the room service menu. (when I asked about room service, they told me that only soup and dumplings are available until the restaurants open at 6)

So I asked the manager of the restaurant why the child portion was not available before....he went to the chef and told me that they ran out of ingredients.........However, I had ordered the adult portion on the first night......(Lying makes me blow my top). We still decided to order (since there weren't any other options) and we ordered dan dan noodle....a sausage for my son and a steak ciabatta (158RMB). I assumed the noodles would come first since a steak takes a few to cook. I got the steak first and served on a baguette........(again, I am not picky, but they promised it would be right this time). I told them that the menu said ciabatta......they came back 10 mins later with my steak cut in half served between 3 pieces of chinese toast bread (crust cut off). If you live in China, you would know that this bread is as sweet as candy and doesn't fit to a steak.....it is also not a ciabatta and is also 158RMB (US$25 +service). I brought the thing up to the front desk to complain and while I debated, my wife and child's food never came.

The F&B manager did take off the F&B expenses from my trip.....but I had only charged one meal ton the room......paid everything else in cash.....too bad. This restaurant is poorly managed and seems to try to use up what they have left over from the breakfast buffet. I know that here in Shanghai, I can go to almost any restaurant and ask for a small plate of steamed seasonal veggies and rice for a kid for whatever reason (e.g.. adult food too spicy) and they would comply without hesitation. It is sad that a 5star hotel can't get it together.

I also moved once due to construction in the west wing. I realize that daytime construction is probably not an issue for business travelers, but when they see a pregnant woman, and family with a 3 year old, it is weird that they put us in the wing with planned construction.

I still give this hotel high marks for the rooms, the pool area, friendly staff and location (directly in front of OTC metro station and close to many theme parks. The management, on the other hand needs some serious work.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Alfred Z, Director of Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Thank you for your detailed description of your experience staying in our hotel. We are very glad to understand points that we need to improve, and will reflect to our management team soon. Many thanks again and we look forward to your return in the future.