“Overall good”

InterContinental Shenzhen
Ranked #6 of 2,814 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I was at the hotel for business. Got a great spacious room, which is common to 5 star hotel in China. the service is generally good, friendly staff. Wasn't a big fan of the buffet breakfast, but I tend to get picky. The Thai restaurant is great and so is the French- good alternatives for dinner if you don't feel like leaving the hotel.
The only two drawbacks are that inside the guest rooms you starting to get the feelings that the furniture is starting to get old; the beverages are extremely overpriced (13 USD for can of soda, OMG).

Room Tip: Ask for a poolside room- those have awesome bathtubs with a great view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Alfred Z, Director of Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Thank you for letting us to know about your thoughts. We've notified relevant operations department of the points that you don't feel satisfied and will take concrete actions to improve accordingly. Wish you all the best and look forward to your next visit in a near future.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Shenzhen

Reviewed 3 September 2013

During July 2013 I visited Shenzhen, China and stayed 4-5 days at the Inter-Continental Shenzhen which is located in the Nanshan District of Shenzhen. Apparently this Inter-Continental hotel was the first Spanish-styled hotel in China; and accordingly has some very stylish and beautiful Spanish artwork and sculptures throughout the hotel, in addition to the three (3) very large Spanish-styled ships located on the property! I stayed in an executive Club Room on the 7th floor and I must say that the room was very spacious and very well cleaned during my stay. The room came complete with a view of the fabulous, landmark pool at the Inter-Continental. Also the Club Room on the 7th floor was always very well serviced with very professional and English-speaking personnel and the food and appetizers were very delicious and plentiful throughout the day! The breakfast buffet is also another fabulous event and not to be missed. The variety of foods items during the breakfast buffet are really too much to taste unless you have endless time to spare for breakfast. Also I visited the health spa almost every day and the combination of service and equipment was fantastic. I was especially pleased with the steam and dry saunas and the excellent service attendants in the Health Club. I did not have a chance to go in the pool but it also looked very clean and well maintained. Overall I would give this hotel an excellent rating in all the quality and service ratings!!

Room Tip: The Club Rooms are very large and accommodating and the Club service is wonderful!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your generous comment. We are making all our best to present to you "Great Hotel Guests Love". Look forward to your next visit in a near future.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Spacious and clean rooms, helpful restaurant staff, the location is great for both business and pleasure.

Organising transport directly from the hotel can be very expensive, and we were here during the time they had a Qualcomm conference so the bar area was closed and the amount of people crowded general facilities for other guests to enjoy.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank plu81

Many thanks for your generous comment. InterContinental Shenzhen is committed to ensure exceptional experience for all our guests. Look forward to your next visit in a near future.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We only stayed here a night on this visit, the room was lovely and most of the staff seem happy to help.
We ate in the bar in the evening which turned out to be an ordeal to say the least. The staff did not understand our order, pasta and burger not anything complicated, despite us pointing to it on the menu, needless to say the food that emerged was wrong and the waitress was not bothered at all. We asked to speak to a manager who discounted our meal and apologised.
However on our departure we found we had been charged service for our meal which we argued was completely inappropriate and eventually it was taken off the bill.
The hotel is not geared up for international visitors it appears.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Alfred Z, Director of Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Thank you for leaving us a note. Kindly allow me on behalf of the management to apologize for the unhappy experience you had during your stay with us. We will look into this case and will make sure satisfying our guests with enhanced service. Wish you a good weekend.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

I am very impressed with the constant level of quality of this hotel. It's my standard place to stay for years when I visit Shenzhen. Great rooms. Spacious, well designed and complete attire. The service is prompt and friendly and food is delicious. The bar in the gardens is open till well over midnight. Only small issue is indoor mobile phone coverage. You really have to find an open window to make phone calls. Not a big show stopper but an easy fix they should work on as China has excellent mobile networks.
Clearly recommended! Don't mind the strange first sight of slender waiters in Spanish torero suits. Haven't figured out in years why they do it :-)

Room Tip: Take one of the rooms with bath overlooking the gardens. Best body recharge you can have..
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kuisch

Thank you for your compliment, meanwhile we are sorry about teh inconvience caused to you because of mobile phone coverage. We have reflected to operation department to take actions to improve accordingly. Also I'd like to explain that InterContinental is actually a srongly Spanish themed hotel, that why our bell boy dressed in Spanish styled outfit. We look forward to seeing you in your next visit. Wish you all the best.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

I went to this hotel just for a weekend getaway. The location of this hotel is great, the mrt OCT station is right in front of the hotel main entrance makes it very easy to find. When I first went inside the hotel, the lobby was huge and properly maintained. I went to approached the Chinese lady at the concierge desk to pick up my coupon card, i am a Chinese and talked to her in cantonese, but she looked at me and started to talk to me in English and kept saying that she couldnt speak cantonese (funny though she didn't even try to talk to me in mandarin, but I can tell she can speak mandarin from her mandarin accent English). Wow, what a high class hotel !

When i checked in the room on the 5th floor facing the pool area, the view was great. The room was very spacious and clean, the bathroom was huge and everything inside the room worked properly. But maybe there was a big event or activities at the pool, i could hear all kind of noise, music, and people screaming all day until 10pm even with the balcony door closed.

Agreed with other reviewers that they need to improve both the quality and service of the restaurant. I went to Mercado for both dinner and lunch buffet, the food there were 95% the same for both meals. The price range were pretty high there when compare to other 5 stars chain hotels in Shenzhen, but the food selection there was very limited. The taste was not good either. The buffet at Marriott Shenzhen has much much better food with lots of choices at a similar price range.

The chef behind the BBQ table tended to serve those who can place the order in Mandarin first no matter you have been waited there for ages. The lady at the sushi bar prefered to finished her works on hand first before serving the customers, didn't really care if you have been waiting for a while.

When I was having lunch buffet at around 12 noon (it starts at 11:30am), there were still several workers mopping the floor around the buffet tables and the customers' tables, didn't care if you were still eating. Most of the hot items there were not hot and the refill was very slow too.

Have reflected these matters to their new restaurant manager Jasper, he's a really nice guy and willing to listen to all these problems and promised to pay more attention and make improvement to them. Looking forward to see a better managed restaurant on my next trip there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank cckc123

Thank you for leaving us a note. We've reflected your comment to our Director of Food and Beverage and will take actions to improve accordingly. We look forward to your next visit and hope we could manage to live up to your expectation and have a wonderful experience with InterContinental Shenzhen. Wish you all the best.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

At check in I had issues with delay then my room rate was doubled. At breakfast I finished eating before they brought my coffee. Room service arrived about in an hour with cold and dried food and wrong order. Ambassador member but no recognition and upgrade no need to pay for the membership.These guys are a mess I recommend Grand Hyatt or the Ritz. I tried the Brazilian BBQ but it is not the same anymore what it used to be.

Room Tip: Do not ever stay here.
2  Thank BaaaI
Alfred Z, Director of Marketing and Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Kindly allow us to apologize for the uncomfortable experience, meanwhile we will investigate into details and improve our service according to hotel standard. In terms of food, actually InterContinental Shenzhen is home to seven restaurants and bars with flavors from around the world. We would strongly recommend you to try our Thai food at our Coriander Thai Restaurant. It would be our pleasure to introduce more about our restaurants to you if your schedule is allowed upon your next visit.