“Staff was awesome”

InterContinental Shenzhen
Ranked #6 of 2,820 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed 12 May 2014

At Galleon Bar, Harold and Lucas we're amazing hosts. Service provided by Lucas was great and Harold was a tremendous host. It was a pleasure meeting both of them. They band was phenomenal as well. Very talented, and more so then most I see in the US!

At Allehna, Felix and Gabby were tremendous as well as Lucas and other staff at the restaurant. Great food as well.

In the club lounge I was very taken care of. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Eric, the asst. Head Concierge was super helpful and set me up with a comfortable ride to the HK airport.

Overall, this was a great stay and it had everything to do with the staff I met during the stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Liz W, Public Relations Officer at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you for your commnets, it's very encouraging and I will share your compliments with our staff. We are honored to provide the best service to every guest to make their journey in Shenzhen extraodinary.
Thanks again! Look forward to see you soon!

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Shenzhen

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed here for over a week while in Shenzhen for business.

Pros:

Excellent location next to metro stop, Walmart, and OTC area. Easy to get a cab if it is not during rush hour.

Club Lounge is a wonderful upgrade. Staff in club lounge are very polite
Very "campy" decorations -over the top with "bull fighting" theme. Fun, but old after a few days

Room service is less expensive than restaurants in the hotel and arrives fairly quickly.

Baked goods / Breads are above excellent. Wonderful croissants. In China - who knew?

Cons:

Children under 12 were in the Club Lounge often - took away from the professional atmosphere. Hotel later said this was because it was a national holiday weekend. They should have stated that was a policy before we booked at the club level.

We do not smoke - yet on our balcony on more than one occasion we found "fresh" cigarettes - can only assume it was the staff smoking.

Cost of restaurants in the hotel is over the top expensive, and the food is not worth the price paid.

Children's swimming pool play area/ship was not in service.

Noise from Window to the World next door was very loud one night.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Liz W, Public Relations Officer at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thanks for your comments firstly, it's appreciated that you share your experience in InterContinental Shenzhen.
At InterContinental Shenzhen, Spanish-themed flavor is inherent throughout the hotel with its architectural and decorative details of typical Spanish features, such as the bulls you see everywhere.
We will pay attention to the problems you mentioned, the hotel will certainly take actions to enhance the service.
Meanwhile, you can be assured that InterContinental Shenzhen is dedicated to deliver exceptional service to our guest and will do our best to continuously enhance your experience when staying with us. Kindly accept our apology again and we do look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Sister book a room, and I bring my son to sleep there for the noon.
the hall is excellent, with lot's of decoration, and free soft drink, which is good for health.
the garden is lovely, i love the swimming pool most. room is clean, and a good sleep.

Room Tip: remember to use the swimming pool
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Liz W, Public Relations Officer at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Thank’s for your comments, we are pleased that you had a good time in InterContinental Shenzhen.
Look forward to see you soon!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

This is my second review on this hotel. I stayed here for a weekend last month and the hotel was still very clean, spacious and well maintain as expected. During reservation, I requested for a NON-smoking room on higher floor which I got it when check-in. But when I went into the room, there was a heavy cigarette smell (as expected in China), I asked for another room and I was able to change to a nicer room within 30 minutes (but after 5 calls). The front desk and concierge staff were all very friendly and helpful in dealing with my request.

Last time when I stayed at this hotel, I have a bad dining experience with café Mercado and had complained to their restaurant manager Jasper and gave him my comments and suggestions on the food quality and service. Jasper has shown his concern and willingness to listen. This time when I went there for dinner, I found that the food quality, selection and service were all improved (though I think the food selection can be even enhanced further, but it was definitely good to see that) and packed with many happy customers. While having dinner, Jasper still recognized me and greeted me with a friendly and smiley face and told me about the improvements. Good job Jasper ! As an IHG platinum member, I really love to see all these enhancements and for sure I will go back again soon.

Room Tip: Ask for room on higher floor facing the pool
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thanks again! Look forward to see you soon!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

First of all, when I checked in, the staff never asked me whether I want a smoking or non-smoking room, even though when I reserved, I already gave them my option. I walked on to the 3rd floor and smelled smoke everywhere but I thought maybe just one of the guests violated the policy until I went into my room found an ashtray. I went downstairs and asked for exchange, the girl first insisted that there is no more non-smoking room left. I do not expect any receptionist doing this at a 4 or 5-star hotel. You are in service business, you should try your best to honor the guest's request especially the request was made prior in advance!

I finally got my room on the 5th floor. The room is big and nice but that's just the look. The carpet is dusty, the room smells musky, the tub was leaking, the tub spout was broken (the top tile was completely off), and the sink has several long fractures. For a 5-star hotel, you'd think they would put thought more thoughts in the design and use premium product and down to every detail. The bathing salt is some cheap stuff with food color and artificial fragrance. The bathroom TV was installed by the sink not in front of the tub! There was no bath rug in front of the shower door!!

By the way, the Chinese restaurants charges money for 'tea service' even I didn't order tea and they never came over to refill my water. The fee wasn't not a lot but this is a scam!

if I have a choice I wouldn't come back here. I'd prefer to stay at Shangri-La in a different district.

InterContinental, you still have a long way to be a 5-star hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Alfred Z, Director of Marketing and Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for your comment. Kindly accept our apology for the unhappy experience you had during your stay with us. We have formally addressed this problem to operation department and seriiously take actions to enhance performance of staff. Hope you will have a smooth and comfortable experience upon your next visit. We do look forward to your return and wish you all the best.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I booked two nights using the Ambassador Weekend Voucher. As per instructions from the reservation, If I wanted 1 King Club Premier Suite with Club Access therefore I was recommended to book 1 King Premier Suite (without Club Access). I booked it for 3 persons.

The Suite is huge, beautiful, luxury...can't complaint at all. There is also TV in bathroom if you are just want to wasting your time in the bathroom. The whole hotel is also luxurious and beautiful. The hotel sent anniversary cake for my parents anniversary which is very nice. The Galleon bar looks terrific too. The swimming pool is also beautiful, it seems like a white sandy beach with a giant ship on it.

However, there are some points to be improved :
- I asked to the reservation regarding to Shenzhen Visa but the hotel fails to provide information regarding to the Shenzhen Visa on Arrival. When I booked Intercontinental, it means that I expect high standard of services but they couldn't provide information regarding to SEZ Visa On Arrival and asked me to apply Chinese visa in Chinese embassy. Fortunately, Novotel Hong Kong Citygate surprisingly could provide all the information that I need eventhough they are not based in Shenzhen.
- I booked for 3 persons and there was charge for the 3rd persons on my rate. However, when I entered the lounge for the first time, I was told that there are only 2 persons in the room rate and I would be charged for the 3rd person. Then I refuse to enter the lounge at all and went down to Guest Service and told that my reservation is for 3 persons. The Guest Service quickly checked my booking and then apologized for what happened since it is true that actually my reservation is for 3 persons. It seems that the reservation team made a wrong note that my room is only for 2 persons eventhough it specifies that there is 3rd person charge on the room rate details. That's explaining why there is no extra bed in the room since the hotel thought that there are only two persons in the room.

However, we still enjoyed the hotel very much despite those issues. The concierge also helpful and speaks English fluently. I asked how to get to OCT east Theme Park and he provides me the information that we wanted; he also informed us that the owner of IC Shenzhen and OCT East are same. We enjoyed our time in OCT East too and it is highly recommended if you would like to see some alternative rather than Window of the world. Just be prepared that no one speaks English in OCT East. Too bad that I can't recall the concierge's name.

Room Tip: Book their suite, it is awesome !!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank virtualaris

Thank you for choosing to stay with InterContinental Shenzhen. It was a pity that you were not able to have a perfect experience with us due to some communication issues, which we will soon take actions to enhance as much as we can. Kindly accept our sincere apology and we do look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

We planned a weekend away with 4 families, all young kids to Shenzhen. For the convenience we all booked Executive rooms with Club access as the weather forecast was not that great so we would spend most of the time in the hotel. Welcome was great; door staff and porters were really friendly. Upon check-in it took some time to understand that we were all travelling together as the level of English was very poor. We eventually ended up in the Club Lounge for check-in and after almost 2 hours (!) since we entered through the main door, we got 4 rooms on the same floor. Much of the delay was that after all the effort in allocating the rooms we were told that kids are not allowed in the Club Lounge as it is a Business hotel. Needless to say we were surprised and annoyed as it is not shown anywhere on the website room type description and the confirmation. After the really painful check-in process the rest of the stay was great. Staff was friendly and attentive. The location, swimming pool are awesome. The food in the main dining restaurant is not too great, but service and clown / kids area make up for it. Still unlogical that the whole Club Lounge no-go for kids, but the swimming facilities are super kids friendly as well as the entertainment in the all day dining restaurant. Additionally the hotel charges for an extra bed regardless if it is for children under 3 or for adults. This was also very strange as the extra bed charge is usually for 12 years and older. All in all, we eventually enjoyed the stay, and we might consider returning.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank DutchieLa
Alfred Z, Director of Marketing and Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you for letting us know about the problem that caused inconveniences to you. The hotel will certainly take actions to enhance the English proficiency of our staff so to bring ease and efficency to our guests. Meanwhile, you can be assured that InterContinental Shenzhen is dedicated to deliver excepitonal service to our guest and will do our best to continously enhance your experience when staying with us. Kindly accept our apology again and we do look forward to your return in the future.