“Nice hotel... a little too touristy” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Shenzhen

InterContinental Shenzhen
Ranked #4 of 2,744 Hotels in Shenzhen
Seattle, Washington
“Nice hotel... a little too touristy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

The hotel and rooms are nice and modern with a good location and good facilities... the design of the Hotel is a little Vegas or Disney like with what another reviewer titled "campy" decorations and costumes for the staff. This seems like a good hotel if you are bringing your family with you on a business trip but for a maximum efficiency road warrior there are equally nice but more efficient options.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Liz W, PR Officer at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank’s for your comments, we are pleased that you had a good time in InterContinental Shenzhen.
InterContinental Shenzhen is featured with Spanish themed, Spanish-themed flavor is inherent throughout the hotel with its architectural and decorative details of typical Spanish features. The uniform of bellmen, that of a bull fighter in the well-known Mayor's Plaza in Madrid is one of the subtle influences of Spain. Dramatic, dashing and colorful, you will be enchanted with the Spanish flair, passion and its enticing specialties!
We offer warm service and excellent facilities attracting business, leisure or family holiday travellers for a comfortable stay.
Look forward to see you soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Khartoum
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Very Very large, comfortable rooms with office space and huge bathroom (some rooms are so far from the elevator so better to get room from X01 to X10), Location near the cultural village and "The Window of The World", Great customer service, great and friendly staff, Buffet Breakfast from 7:00 to 10:30

Very recommended

Room Tip: some rooms are so far from the elevator so better to get room from X01 to X10
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your generous comments. It is our pleasure and honor to ensure great experience to our guests.
Hotel has total 540 rooms and the elevators are distributed over the east & west wings of the main building, next time you can confirm with the receptionist or concierge that which elevator is the closer access to your room, that might save your time.
It it very convenient that you can go anywhere from hotel, since we are surrounded by many scenic spots, all of them are the outstanding travel sights in Shenzhen.
We feel glad that you like our service and food here, that's what we've been committed to do all the way.
InterContinental Shenzhen offers warm service and excellent facilities attracting business, leisure or family holiday travellers for a comfortable stay. Look forward to see you soon!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

At Galleon Bar, Harold and Lucas we're amazing hosts. Service provided by Lucas was great and Harold was a tremendous host. It was a pleasure meeting both of them. They band was phenomenal as well. Very talented, and more so then most I see in the US!

At Allehna, Felix and Gabby were tremendous as well as Lucas and other staff at the restaurant. Great food as well.

In the club lounge I was very taken care of. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Eric, the asst. Head Concierge was super helpful and set me up with a comfortable ride to the HK airport.

Overall, this was a great stay and it had everything to do with the staff I met during the stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Liz W, Public Relations Officer at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for your commnets, it's very encouraging and I will share your compliments with our staff. We are honored to provide the best service to every guest to make their journey in Shenzhen extraodinary.
Thanks again! Look forward to see you soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed here for over a week while in Shenzhen for business.

Pros:

Excellent location next to metro stop, Walmart, and OTC area. Easy to get a cab if it is not during rush hour.

Club Lounge is a wonderful upgrade. Staff in club lounge are very polite
Very "campy" decorations -over the top with "bull fighting" theme. Fun, but old after a few days

Room service is less expensive than restaurants in the hotel and arrives fairly quickly.

Baked goods / Breads are above excellent. Wonderful croissants. In China - who knew?

Cons:

Children under 12 were in the Club Lounge often - took away from the professional atmosphere. Hotel later said this was because it was a national holiday weekend. They should have stated that was a policy before we booked at the club level.

We do not smoke - yet on our balcony on more than one occasion we found "fresh" cigarettes - can only assume it was the staff smoking.

Cost of restaurants in the hotel is over the top expensive, and the food is not worth the price paid.

Children's swimming pool play area/ship was not in service.

Noise from Window to the World next door was very loud one night.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Liz W, Public Relations Officer at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thanks for your comments firstly, it's appreciated that you share your experience in InterContinental Shenzhen.
At InterContinental Shenzhen, Spanish-themed flavor is inherent throughout the hotel with its architectural and decorative details of typical Spanish features, such as the bulls you see everywhere.
We will pay attention to the problems you mentioned, the hotel will certainly take actions to enhance the service.
Meanwhile, you can be assured that InterContinental Shenzhen is dedicated to deliver exceptional service to our guest and will do our best to continuously enhance your experience when staying with us. Kindly accept our apology again and we do look forward to your return in the future.
GuangZhou
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Sister book a room, and I bring my son to sleep there for the noon.
the hall is excellent, with lot's of decoration, and free soft drink, which is good for health.
the garden is lovely, i love the swimming pool most. room is clean, and a good sleep.

Room Tip: remember to use the swimming pool
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Liz W, Public Relations Officer at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Look forward to see you soon!
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

This is my second review on this hotel. I stayed here for a weekend last month and the hotel was still very clean, spacious and well maintain as expected. During reservation, I requested for a NON-smoking room on higher floor which I got it when check-in. But when I went into the room, there was a heavy cigarette smell (as expected in China), I asked for another room and I was able to change to a nicer room within 30 minutes (but after 5 calls). The front desk and concierge staff were all very friendly and helpful in dealing with my request.

Last time when I stayed at this hotel, I have a bad dining experience with café Mercado and had complained to their restaurant manager Jasper and gave him my comments and suggestions on the food quality and service. Jasper has shown his concern and willingness to listen. This time when I went there for dinner, I found that the food quality, selection and service were all improved (though I think the food selection can be even enhanced further, but it was definitely good to see that) and packed with many happy customers. While having dinner, Jasper still recognized me and greeted me with a friendly and smiley face and told me about the improvements. Good job Jasper ! As an IHG platinum member, I really love to see all these enhancements and for sure I will go back again soon.

Room Tip: Ask for room on higher floor facing the pool
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks again! Look forward to see you soon!
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

First of all, when I checked in, the staff never asked me whether I want a smoking or non-smoking room, even though when I reserved, I already gave them my option. I walked on to the 3rd floor and smelled smoke everywhere but I thought maybe just one of the guests violated the policy until I went into my room found an ashtray. I went downstairs and asked for exchange, the girl first insisted that there is no more non-smoking room left. I do not expect any receptionist doing this at a 4 or 5-star hotel. You are in service business, you should try your best to honor the guest's request especially the request was made prior in advance!

I finally got my room on the 5th floor. The room is big and nice but that's just the look. The carpet is dusty, the room smells musky, the tub was leaking, the tub spout was broken (the top tile was completely off), and the sink has several long fractures. For a 5-star hotel, you'd think they would put thought more thoughts in the design and use premium product and down to every detail. The bathing salt is some cheap stuff with food color and artificial fragrance. The bathroom TV was installed by the sink not in front of the tub! There was no bath rug in front of the shower door!!

By the way, the Chinese restaurants charges money for 'tea service' even I didn't order tea and they never came over to refill my water. The fee wasn't not a lot but this is a scam!

if I have a choice I wouldn't come back here. I'd prefer to stay at Shangri-La in a different district.

InterContinental, you still have a long way to be a 5-star hotel.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Alfred Z, Director of Marketing and Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for your comment. Kindly accept our apology for the unhappy experience you had during your stay with us. We have formally addressed this problem to operation department and seriiously take actions to enhance performance of staff. Hope you will have a smooth and comfortable experience upon your next visit. We do look forward to your return and wish you all the best.