“Over the top customer service.”

InterContinental Shenzhen
Ranked #7 of 2,786 Hotels in Shenzhen
San Francisco, California
“Over the top customer service.”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have been Platinum Ambassador for some time now with over 90 nights already this year. I have been furious with my past 3 Intercontinental stay at different countries. I had made a statement to IHG Ambassador program that I will no longer will stay at IHG and will be continuing my travels with SPG hotels.

Shenzhen was a last minute stop for me and I literally booked my hotel through IHG on my iPhone app as I was arriving to Shenzhen.

I was greeted by the bell boys in this weird outfit but was probably the nicest people that got me and my luggage out of my taxi. I went to the front desk to just do my regular check and I was told that someone have already gotten all my paperwork ready and escorted me to the Ambassador desk.

I met Joyce Zeng. She had a smile of an angel and told me that here is 2 document I need to sign because she had already taken care of everything. I gave her passport to scan and a credit card for deposit the usual. She gave me a welcome gift and my room key within minutes. Usually I would be at the desk waiting for 15-20 sometimes 30 minutes to get everything set up.

She checked up after the first day to make sure my stay was comfortable and see if I needed anything. I usually get this call several days into my stay from my previous experience. I told her the reception in my room is that great and there is a lot of tomato in my fruit bowl because I really don't like that, overall it was a goodnight. That afternoon I came back to my room with apples and pears and good cell phone reception. I went to contact Joyce to tell her thank you for getting this taken cared so fast. Typically I get ignore by the staff during my stay.

She was so polite and also informed she updated my IHG profile to make sure I don't get tomato for any of my future stay with intercontinental. I didn't even know that was an OPTION!

Anyways, I informed all my colleagues that are travelling around China like myself who are IHG platinum also to give this place a try and see if you could work with Joyce because she provided the best customer service I could ask for.

My stay was 3 weeks? and few of my other colleagues have been here for nearly a month LOVES it here.

The price is also very reasonable compared to other Intercontinental in China.

Room Tip: Get the pool view. Avoid corner rooms. You will love the balcony.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Paul H, General Manager at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Calvin N, Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with the InterContinental Shenzhen. We continuously strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and make it our ambition to make the InterContinental Shenzhen a leader in excellence. To hear your ever so generous comment and satisfaction makes us particularly thrilled and pleased. Please rest assured that I have conveyed my deep appreciation with Ms. Joyce Zeng’s outstanding service, and we will definitely keep up the good work and improve our products as well as service continuously in order to make sure our distinguished guests like you will have a pleasant experience when staying at our hotel. we look forward to welcoming you back many times in the future to the InterContinental Shenzhen, where you may be assured of our best possible attention at all times.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 13 August 2014

IHG is always the best in my mind. However, the service of Inter-Continental ShenZhen is really over my expectation. They really tried their best to satisfy all my needs and achieve my expectations. Sometimes even make me WOW.
Best staff and concierge in Town.
Beautiful hotel ..good Spa.
Massive room.

Room Tip: Every single room has big balcony…So good
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Anth0nyH0, thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with the InterContinental Shenzhen. We are thrilled to hear that you regarded our service over your expectation. Please rest assured your commendation will be shared with our entire team, as reinforcement to continue their efforts and improve our service to make the InterContinental Shenzhen a leader in excellence. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Shenzhen again.
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

A sensible place to rest your head after a hectic day doing business in Shenzhen. Despite being part of a large international chain the hotel had a couple of unique features that ensure you can never forget that you are not in the West - specifically a recreated Spanish galleon (really!) which is a theme bar as well as an matador/Spanish bull theme ( for example the taps in the bathrooms have mable statues of bulls).
Service is good and the rooms are huge.

Room Tip: Get a room on the opposite side if the hotel to the next door "window on the world" theme...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Paul H, General Manager at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear GDM70, thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with the InterContinental Shenzhen. It is our great pleasure you enjoyed staying with us. Our hotel opened in 2006 with the Spanish theme hence everywhere you look, there are a Spanish features. Our Galleon Bar is a replica and double in size of the real Santa Maria which set sail Columbus’s odyssey to find the Land of America. We look forward to welcoming you back again where you may be assured of our best possible attention at all times.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Come for the swimming pool. Rooms are OK but the swimming pool is the reason to visit this hotel. When you are done swimming, walk out the front door, across the parking lot to the underground subway station and continue straight up to the other side of the street. Turn to your right, 50 meters ( 150 yards ) on the left and up the staircase to all the local restaurants. It is approximately a 10 minute walk for the best local food at great prices.

Room Tip: Find the bar inside the ship. Live band at night but you will need to look for it or ask someone...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Tom P, thank you for sharing with us your staying experience with the InterContinental Shenzhen. Always glad to hear our esteemed guests enjoyed staying with us especially enjoyed our swimming pool (which is one of our unique selling point). Many appreciations for you to share great dining experience around our hotel. We will definitely keep on improving our F&B products continuously so that distinguished guests like you will have a pleasant dinning experience in the hotel as well. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Shenzhen.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Not located in the centre of Shenzhen but in the west makes this Hotel the perfect spot for your weekend activites, as a lot of attractions are located in this area. The spanish theme of the Hotel may seem absurde at the beginning, but it is very funny though, if you know what you get yoursef into. (I would not recommand it to Business Travellers). The pool area is big, including a sand area and a big ship which is of course great for kids. The rooms are nice (though you should insist on a newly rennovated room as the old ones can have a wet/mold smell). Staff is very friendly, and you will find somebody you can deal with your needs in English.

Room Tip: Insist on a newly rennovated room. The Hotel is huge, so if for whatever reason you can't walk a...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Paul H, General Manager at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear ALHong Kong, thank you for sharing with us your staying experience. We are glad that you find our location, Spanish deco and outdoor swimming pool proper for your staying purpose. Our hotel is trying our best to renovate as many rooms as possible to provide our guests an enjoyable stay experience and we will definitely keep on improving our products as well as service continuously in order to make sure our distinguished guests like you will have a pleasant experience when staying at our hotel. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Shenzhen.
Shenzhen
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have stayed at intercontinental shenzhen for many times,it is really a top 5 star hotel,big room with large balcony,many restaurants and good quality,front office staff is very helpful and always smile,manager jackie yuis very profeessional and always see my needs and provided personalized service,very efficient and detailed...will for sure come back for him,my favorite hotel in shenzhen.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul H, General Manager at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest H, thank you for sharing your comments. It is my great pleasure and honour that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments will be shared with our entire team, as reinforcement to continue their efforts and improve our service to make the InterContinental Shenzhen a leader in excellence. In the mean time, your commendation has been passed on to our associates, especially Mr. Jackie Yu. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Shenzhen.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 July 2014

IC Shenzhen is a great place for both business and pleasure trips.
Always very welcoming with just excellent, professional and warm service all around.
My club suite room was wonderful I, well equipped and very comfortable.
Special thanks to the club team, to Yvonne the club manager and to the hotel DM Tom Teng that always take great care about everything.
Thank you !!!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms closer to the alevator wing.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Guest H
Dear Guest H, thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with the InterContinental Shenzhen. It is my great pleasure and honour that you enjoyed staying with us. Your compliments regarding our InterContinental club service by our Club team, especially Ms. Yvonne Long has been passed on to our associates. We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Shenzhen in the not too distant future, where you may be assured of our best possible attention at all times.