“Very nice hotel”

Ranked #14 of 2,781 Hotels in Shenzhen
New York
“Very nice hotel”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the past couple years for business. I think it is a very nice hotel, clean and quite, with modern facilities.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Vera Z, Manager at Sheraton Shenzhen Futian Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your choosing our hotel and your very positive comments about our hotel! we will always keep the excellent products and service to providing our guests perfect experiece. looking forward to your combing back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
China
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I have been spending a lot of time at the Sheraton Futian lately. Overall I would call it a very good hotel. The building is quite nice as well as the decor, as usual. The service has always been friendly, quick, and inviting. The hotel offers smoking and non-smoking rooms, as well as a fantastic gym, and an Italian and Chinese restaurant.

The standard room is fine, accompanied by a large bathroom including a bathtub and standing shower separately. There's a large glass window between the bathroom and the bedroom, with a pull down shade. There's plenty of TV channels, I'm so happy to be able to see CNN and BBC news on TV.

The surrounding area is only OK, that's why I titled it "Location To Be Desired", as the hotel is actually build on an unifinished mall-complex, located next to Central Park Mall which was recently finished a few years ago and not too far down the street from CocoPark. At Central Park Mall you will find a Carrefour, McDonald's, Starbucks, and more or less local "poser" brands. At Cocopark there are more internally recognized brands like Sketchers, Burger King, Levi, Lee, Starbucks, etc etc. Central Park Mall is kind of a drag but it's right next store, the walk to Coco Park is about 10 minutes, walk west three blocks and cross the street and you're at Coco Park which also has a nice outside bar area. The general area is a new CBD area put up in the last 5 years or so, focused around a huge exhibition hall and commercial buildings. It's not really a happening place to be, but if you're in town for business this is a good choice. Otherwise you might want to think about the Crowne Plaza or Westin for a better location with a more awesome mall next to it if shopping is on your agenda.

I have eaten at the Chinese restaurant, but the Italian restaurant gets a 6 out of 10 as it doesn't present anything special on the menu and I make better Italian at my home in Guangzhou. Avoid ordering anything Mexican or Tex-Mex off the room service menu, the Soft Tacos Filled With Chicken turned out to actually be hard tacos, and for 92 RMB (about $15 or so), wasn't really that great. Today I called for in-room dining and apparently the Greek Salad was sold out. Uh...sold out of lobster OK I can understand, but Greek salad? So instead I got a Reuben sandwich, which was served with a side salad and fries for 98 RMB (about $20 or so), and I thought back to the awesome Reuben sandwich at Atlantis Casino Resort & Spa in Reno and the gigantic one that is served at the Manhattan Deli for less than $15 bucks and well another disappointment. But hey, three thin slides of Reuben I guess in the end is less calories.

If the Sheraton Futian wants to compete in China, they are doing OK. They have some things other hotels don't, but if the Sheraton Futian wants to be a true 5-star international hotel experience they are missing the mark. Anyway I will still come back here anyway for work just wish the food offerings were as luxurious as the building itself.

Overall I like it but been to better Sheratons. Hopefully it will get better over time.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank J H
Vera Z, Manager at Sheraton Shenzhen Futian Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for choosing Sheraton Shenzhen Futian Hotel and your valued comments to us. We will keep our strengthes while improve the food quality. Wish you will have an even better experience upon your next stay! Should you need any assistance during your stay in our hotel, please feel free to call your account sales if you are our company client, or you can call 86 15820429341, Vera, sales manager.Looking forward to your coming back soon!
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Although visually this hotel promises all the right things, unfortunately it fails to deliver.

I chose this hotel originally because of its close proximity to the Hong Kong border, also because I normally stay in the Sheraton Dongguan, I expected this one to be superior as it is right in the middle of the Shenzhen's new business district.

Looks wise the hotel seems nice, with striking architecture, a huge lobby and granite as far as the eye can see. Thats where it ends unfortunately.

As a direct comparison with the Sheraton Dongguan Hojei; The staff were less competent, the rooms are smaller and aren't kept as well. Also the food on offer is of far less quality and there was no shop for picking up sundries and snacks.

However with Free wireless internet, a solid business/meeting facility, Its position both as a transport connector into China and its proximity to the Hong Kong border. The Sheraton Futian is an ideal base of operation.

As i gave Sheraton Dongguan a 4 star review and much preferred my stay there It must concede a star in comparison.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Vera Z, Manager at Sheraton Shenzhen Futian Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2012
Dear Neill, thanks a lot for choosing us. I have deliver the problems you mentioned to the ralated management team.We will try to offer much better products and service to you in the future. Looking forward to your coming back soon!
Vilnius, Lithuania
Reviewed 29 December 2011

The hotel location is very good. One can reach different regions of Shenzhen directly from the airport. Unfortunatelly I would not say that the price is good for the service. Once I found my room was not clean. Some members of the staff are very poor in English. I wonder why they are so many at the desk if they has very limited responsibility. They cannot provide the information about interesting sites. So, totaly saying, it is average quality but rather expensive.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Dear guest, thank you for choosing us. Sorry about the unpleasant experience. We will give the staff English training so that they can provide more smooth service in the future. Looking forward to your coming back to our hotel soon!
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 27 December 2011

The guys at the lobby was very friendly and has spoken a good english. My room as spacious including a dressing room. It had a large window between bathroom and bedroom which enables to watch TV during having a bath.

The shower was as good as the rest, as it hasn't enough pressure which makes it impossible to have a nice warm shower in the morning. In my case the water stream drops after 5 cm once I hold the shower head horizontal.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
worldwide
Reviewed 13 December 2011

This is a beautiful hotel and with a huge lobby. I felt like I was in a modern opera house. The marble goes on forever. The rooms like others have mentioned are large and well appointed.
Our stay was not so nice because there was a problem with heat in the hotel. Our room was cold so we were provided with a space heater... The lobby bar was freezing and we had to wear jackets it was that cold. The breakfest was wonderful and the staff hit and miss. For an extra $100 I recomend St. Regis which is closer to Hong Kong.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Vera Z, Manager at Sheraton Shenzhen Futian Hotel, responded to this review, 14 December 2011
Dear Guest,thank you for your stay with Sheraton Shenzhen Futian Hotel and your comments about us. As for the heat problem, we have informed the engineering department and they will fix it as soon as possible. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Menlo Park, CA
Reviewed 4 November 2011

My friend from China calls this hotel "Shenzhen's six star hotel." Yes it does have that Las Vegas over sized feel to it; just as the other reviewers here have noted. But it feels like home (USA) in an odd way.

My room was very large, and the carpet thick under my feet. Internet was included, no extra charge for plugging in a pc, iPad and iPhone to WiFi. Complementary bottled water in the room. Very big buffet breakfast included in the room charge, with food appealing to just about every nationality. The restaurant servers speak adequate English.
I didn't smell the smoke the other reviewers smelled. No bed bug bites for me (Taipei there was.)

The Shenzhen Metro (subway) is just outside the hotel doors (Convention Center stop), so you can get back to downtown Hong Kong in 120 minutes (the big hang up is Hong Kong passport control).

There are two pools on the sixth floor, and indoor Olympic style (closed when I was there early AM) and a big outdoor resort style pool, with a kiddie area. Both were on a grand scale.

There is a huge indoor shopping mall adjacent to the hotel. You won't find any deals here, the prices are of Tokyo magnitude. I had dinner in one of the many eateries there.

My colleague took a massage in the hotel. At the end, the key to his locker broke off, leaving his passport locked inside. After 2 hours the hotel staff had not solved the problem, and told my friend they'd talk to the Manager in the morning. That wouldn't work, so my friend asked for a screw driver (drawing a picture using a pen and paper). Using the screw driver to twist the tumbler, and pushing in the broken part of the key he got the locker open, and retrieved his passport. The staff now thinks he can crack the hotel's safe! A broken key in a lock definitely snaps you out of the Las Vegas mirage. You are definitely in China!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank BobD2H
Vera Z, Manager at Sheraton Shenzhen Futian Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2011
Dear guest,thank you for your stay with us and your really pisitive comments about us. As the problem you mentioned, I would like to apologize for the uncovenience and we will try to be more efficient and flexible in future's work.