“Nice setting - but overpriced”
Review of Grand Valley Hotel

Grand Valley Hotel
Ranked #26 of 130 Hotels in Anshun
Shanghai, China
“Nice setting - but overpriced”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This hotel is great in terms of location, just a 5 minute walk to the entrance of the Huangguoshu waterfall scenic area. Check in was quite fast, although I had the impression we woke up the entire hotel staff. More and more of them keep emerging from behind reception, as if startled by the presence of guests. Overall they were pleasant though and paying with a none China issued credit card was not a problem.
The room was big enough and nicely laid out. However the dead cockroach and mud-splattered curtains dampened our enthusiasm.
We tried to have dinner, but were told it was not possible - a tour group was occupying the restaurant and all attention went to them. They made no effort to accomodate us whatsoever.
We ended up walking down the street to the entrance of the scenic area and having dinner for 120RMB (2 people) at a restaurant that was luckily still open.
This place seems to cater to tour groups and there seems to be some seasonal variation in service levels.
I would think that individual travllers need to be aware that they are paying RMB500+ (in March at least) just for proximity to the waterfall. No other reason would justify the price.
Visiting the area and its attractions is possible from Anshun or even Guiyang, where there are more options and better prices.
I cannot recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Look elswhere or stay in Anshun or Guiyang.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 20 January 2012

This hotel is in a lovely, picturesque location, and physically the property itself is isolated but quite attractive. However, it must be said that the hotel is essentially entirely unequipped for the winter, nor is it equipped to handle foreign visitors (as it does not accept foreign credit cards).

I actually really wanted to like it when I laid eyes on it, as it is set in a stately traditional Chinese garden, beautifully laid out, not far from the famous waterfall. I actually had dinner before heading to my room, and the food was quite good. However, we were a group of 15, and the staff took 30 minutes to check me in (and I was not the last to get my key). When I got to the room, it was freezing, and the air conditioning, despite indicating that it had heat, did not - the fact that the back door to my room when I checked in was open to the closed off patio despite being below freezing was not helpful. Fortunately we had told the hotel to give us hot water, so there was some of that out of the shower at very low water pressure, but actually no cold water. The next day, in fact, when I did my business (pardon my crude comment here) there was no flushing water to carry it away.

I was glad I had my subzero clothes with me, because I literally had to sleep in my coat with my wool hat and gloves on - the blankets were damp and actually quite cold. Maybe, maybe if you were here in the summer, and you had no special needs of any kind like air con, perhaps this hotel, its attractive scenery and generally quite nice looking rooms would be fine. But avoid it at all costs in the winter. I have not in recent memory given only 2 stars to a hotel, but they have so many basics to work on (like simply accepting credit cards issued outside of China) that it is pointless to give them anything but a poor review.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Public_Dave

Travellers are raving about these Anshun hotels