“BEWARE-resort under CONSTRUCTION-not recommended for a family vacation with kids.”

Crown Spa Resort Hainan
Ranked #49 of 631 Hotels in Haikou
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I feel this is my obligation as a traveler to WARN other travelers. This resort is going thru a major construction and the grounds of the hotel as well as the rooms are just horrific. To my dismay, there is nowhere on the Crown Spa Resort’s website anything mentioned regarding the construction so please BEWARE before you spend a lot of $$$$ to fly across the World to this so called 5 star resort.
Unfortunately, I made the mistake of not reading other reviews on Trip Advisor this one time and exchanged my timeshare week for this resort. I could not be more surprised to see what I saw when I arrived. They advertise themselves as a 5 star resort and I would give it 1 star for the property and the condition that it is currently in and 3 stars for the staff that was very friendly and helpful. I know that there are some positive reviews which still shock me to this day, however if you are traveling across the World to a resort that is rated a 5 star and have beautiful pictures posted on their website you have set expectations. I have traveled all over the World and was never as disappointed as this time and I have seen it all from 1-5 star resorts. This resort I am sure was beautiful like on the pictures but 20 years ago however I am afraid that the management just forgot to update their website. They only have two buildings open, the main building where we stayed at and the Spa building. They have 3-4 derelict buildings which are next to the main building, fountains, pools with pipes/wires lying around. Nothing is fenced off (there was one fence half broken) and my kids easily walked up to the abandoned buildings which did not have any doors/windows and could have been hurt. The ONLY pool that was open was filthy. My 7 year old refused to get in it. There was MOLD everywhere in the pool; there was a pool bar which was not open and not cleaned in a very long time however the water was still flowing between the main pool and the pool bar. The rooms were appalling, the bathroom especially. We changed the rooms twice and both smelled awful. We had to keep the balcony door open all night due to the smell and my kids were bitten by mosquitoes so badly I had to give them Benadryl in the morning. If you look at the pictures that I posted you will see what I am talking about, mold, fungus and debris everywhere. I could continue for another page however if you look at the pictures you will not make the same mistake I did. We lasted there only 3 nights instead of 7 and we moved to a different resort on the other side of the town HNA Beach and Spa Resort which was truly a 5 star resort.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank traveler0909_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Haikou
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Stayed for two weeks during Chinese Spring Festival. I live in China so it was nice to have authentic western food. Pizza and mexican were great, pool was clean and right on the beach. The beach was private and clean, I visited a few other beaches in the area, pretty dirty, especially Holiday Beach. A little remote but the shuttle bus was convenient. It was a nice quiet stay, will book again if I come back to Haikou.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Tomhaikou
Marbella
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I booked our stay through our timeshare exchange company. I read reviews on trip advisor and became a bit nervous about what we would find. But a few of the reviews had been very positive so I kept an open mind. My husband and I are very seasoned travelers so we are pretty resilient. The staff of this hotel are very very kind. English through out Hainan Island is a rarity. The Spa was fabulous - we had the 2.5 hour couples treatment and loved every minute of their professional and dedicated approach. The resort is in the middle of nowhere with all neighboring projects unfinished. It gives you a very lonely feeling.The food was good but very limited selection, we were bored of it after 2 days. The rooms are small, no cupboard space so our suitcases were our cupboards and formed part of the decor of the room. We checked out 3 rooms before settling due to the hanging smell of humidity and cigarette smoke. This is not an ideal location for anyone who wants either luxury rest and relaxation nor someone who wants to be within walking distance of life!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BornfreeMarbella
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2012

interesting for students of decay and decline. More than 2/3 of this hotel is derelict, i.e. no windows, trees growing from roof. The other 1/3 is a smokers paradise. Good sauna-massage. Few of the advertised services are offered or working, most of the staff can't be arsenal to do anything. Finally the hotel is surrounded by a sea of speculative, also empty, construction. Life is too short for this kind of thing. The rooms were furnished around 1980 and are maintained in their original state.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Mightymark9
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I returned to the Crown Spa Resort Hainan in June, 2011 for a two-week stay. This was my 4th. visit to this Resort, and it was everything I had hoped for it to be. I had a spacious room overlooking the pool and sea. The views from the room were outstanding.

I traveled here from the Seattle Area, and wanted to enjoy my time relaxing by the water, and enjoying good food. I was not disappointed ! This is an ideal place to unwind, rest and watch the clouds drift over the South China Sea. On most days I slept late, and enjoyed great food from one of the Resort's restaurants. By mid-afternoon I was out by the pool and seaside to swim, and enjoy the ocean views. Many evenings were spent at the Li Bai Bar listeing to the musicians sing, and play some memorable music.

I traveled to the city center of nearby Haikou twice during my stay. This city is quite urban, but is less hectic than Shenzhen or Hong Kong. The citizens here are more easy-going and laid back. Haikou has some wonderful sections to explore, and much development happening in its midst. I believe Hainan Island is like Florida was in the early 1950s - still mostly unspoiled and culturally intact. The Crown Spa Resort is just outside of the Haikou urban area on a beach on the South China Sea.

I do not speak Mandarin, so traveling independently in China does require planning, however my limitations never presented a problem at the Crown Spa Resort. Quite a number of staffmembers throughout the departments of the hotel speak English fluently. Most staff have sufficient English language skills to help you with typical needs. This has never been an issue for me, here.

During my visit the to the Resort I experienced Typhoon Haima. The center of this tropical typhoon made landfall about 100 miles north of the Resort on in the Chinese Mainland in Guangdong Province. Here at the Resort we had two days of heavy rain after some thunder and wind when the storm first came ashore. The staff were very informative with me, and I felt I was kept up-to-date on what was happening. The Resort buildings are all very large masonry structures, so I felt safe there. It was actually fun watching the storm come in on us!

I returned to Seattle via Shenzhen and Hong Kong. After returning home I was well-rested, and thankful I had the opportunity to enjoy such a beautiful resort once again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Endurant
Allinge, Denmark
Reviewed 9 July 2011

My Family and i arrived at the hotel around 15.30, 21/12 - 2010 (Tuesday) and departed 28/12 - 2010. The hotel is in general god looking and is close to the beach.

BATHROOM PROBLEMS: One of the first things i remember is having some problems with the bathroom in my room. I called the reception for assistance, but because of the poor language skills of the staff my efforts was in vain. The first day of my vacation actually went by trying to get my bath room fixed.

LANGUAGE SKILLS: In general the staff at the hotel is not very good at English. After some days’ time it actually became kind of annoying. If you had any questions or just wanted to order some food in the restaurant, the person you asked just (nervously) laughed/smiled. Usually it resulted in nothing.

I got the feeling that this hotel don’t get that many western tourists. First of all because of the language skills, secondly the way the other people looked at you. You couldn’t go anywhere without people stopping and starring. This was especially annoying when you were sunbathing. The Chinese didn’t sunbath, but would still walk around the pool fully dressed.

SUNGLASSES STOLEN: On the 4th day i noticed that my 400 $ sunglasses was gone from my room. I didn’t really get mad, but at this point i was just tired. I went on this vacation to relax, but all i got was extra work. I chose not to report the theft simply because the reception probably wouldn’t understand me and i didn't want to waste any more time. After that episode all the stuff got locked in the suitcases when we left our rooms.

FEW ACTIVITIES: There where nothing to do nearby the hotel. You could however take a shuttle bus (30 min) to the nearby "big" city, where you were dropped off at a shopping mall. Apart from the Mall there wasn’t really anything else.
We went on a guided sightseeing tour the 3rd day, but like anything it was also in Chinese.

CHEATED FOR AN EXTRA 500 $: When we departed on 28/12 - 2010, early morning, we got the bill, which we had to sign. When later got home we discovered that the hotel staff had billed us for 3 nights extra, adding up to 500 $. We contacted them about this, but got no answer. We withheld the payment in the beginning but all we got out that where threats.

This vacation was anything but relaxing. Mainly because of all that extra work you had to do yourself and all the difficulties we encountered. On top of that, we had extra expenses that shouldn't even be there! That’s why i rate this hotel so low.

This hotel may be decent if you're able to speak Chinese, but if you’re a normal western tourist, i urge you to choose another hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
8 Thank Magnus_Madsen
Hampshire
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Some of the reviews for this hotal are a little unkind.
Its true the hotel is far out of town and there is little around, but taxis are extremely good and cheap.
The pool complex is great and very well kept, food is very good and teh rooms are of a good standard.

The spa itself is excellent and un believably cheap. The foot reflexology is great but hurts like hell!
If you want a reasonably priced hotel, this is a nice place to stay but be warned there is ittle around, however in 10 years time im surethey will be a huge amount more as hotels are going up alongside the beautiful beach as we speak.

ps: this is not a western run hotel, but the staff were very helpful and spoke some english

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends