“Right on the South China Sea on China's largest tropical island”

Crown Spa Resort Hainan
Ranked #54 of 637 Hotels in Haikou
Canada
“Right on the South China Sea on China's largest tropical island”
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Good hotel with fabulous swimming pool right on miles of sandy beach. If swaying palm trees, lying by the pool and balmy weather are in your plans this is a good place to stay. People said the spa facilities and services are first rate.
Adequate English spoken at the front desk and currency exchange with a good rate. Located out of town there is a shuttle bus to the nearest store where you can get cabs for $10 to anywhere in town. The Haikou museum is right across the street from where the shuttle bus drops and it is a beaautiful and excellent museum with a vivid history of this area. Concierge arranged a driver for us to tour the Central Highlands countryside for about Y400/day ($65). We went to the Volcanic Cluster Park in Shishan town where we climbed to the rim and descended into the volcanic crater which is overgrown with vegetation (excellent value at about Y60 or $10). Also spent several hours at an extensive Buddhist Temple complex that climbs a mountain (sorry I can't remember the name) but well worth finding.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Ananda100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Macau, China
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I stayed in this hotel twice, in April and June, 2011. The hotel itself is huge and I wonder what the developers might have had in mind when they decided to embrace such an ambitious project in a remote part of the island. I believe the local government is spending a great deal of effort to develop the area as the hotel surroundings are being occupied by luxury residences which, reportedly, are destined to the personnel from one of the national airline companies. Being that big and located in a area still under development, it should therefore come as no surprise that a large part of the complex is completely derelict. Some services are not available as advertised and the travelers (especially those coming from far away countries who might be full of expectations) should be advised not to expect a truly international 5-star experience. Some amenities, such as the foot and body massage, are a bit too expensive (especially when compared to average local prices). I tried the spa once. It is located on the opposite side of the hotel’s main entrance. The sauna rooms were clean and the fish treatment was not that expensive and quite enjoyable. The resort runs a complimentary shuttle bus service between the hotel and the RT-Mart, a shopping complex where local products could be purchased at a reasonable price. Besides coconuts and other tropical fruits, Hainan Island is also famous for its coffee and a large variety of spices, standing out the black and white peppers. The staff, although the limited knowledge of English, is courteous and helpful as usual at the majority of Chinese 5-star hotels. The breakfast was good and included a large variety of fruits, bread, coffee and hot dishes (mostly Chinese). Room was clean although one could point out some maintenance issues such as dirty drapery, stained carpets and mold in some areas of the bathroom. The hotel offers free Wi-Fi in the lobby. The pools are nice, clean and well kept. They are fully integrated into the garden design and once you are inside is possible to enjoy the beautiful landscape of the South China Sea. The private beach is clean but once you walk out a few meters the sands are literally covered with all kinds of waste. The worst part, however, is the sea water itself. After swimming, I felt my body soaked in oil most probably spilled from one of the several oil tankers that pass through the South China Sea waters. Overall, the hotel is nice, with a spacious and lush environment and a lot of greenery. I have been living and working in the Southeast China for over 20 years and in my opinion this hotel is good for LOCAL travelers. If you are coming from far away and expecting a dream stay at a 5-star resort I strongly advise you to go to Sanya 三亞 (located at the southern tip of the island) where all the international hotel chains are established. TIP: For the adventurous travelers who might be willing to try the local specialties such as the Hainan chicken and Hainan rice, I strongly recommend the QCW Restaurant where the locals eat in Haikou. Food is delicious and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea are sunny and quieter.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Vadomac
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I feel this is my obligation as a traveler to WARN other travelers. This resort is going thru a major construction and the grounds of the hotel as well as the rooms are just horrific. To my dismay, there is nowhere on the Crown Spa Resort’s website anything mentioned regarding the construction so please BEWARE before you spend a lot of $$$$ to fly across the World to this so called 5 star resort.
Unfortunately, I made the mistake of not reading other reviews on Trip Advisor this one time and exchanged my timeshare week for this resort. I could not be more surprised to see what I saw when I arrived. They advertise themselves as a 5 star resort and I would give it 1 star for the property and the condition that it is currently in and 3 stars for the staff that was very friendly and helpful. I know that there are some positive reviews which still shock me to this day, however if you are traveling across the World to a resort that is rated a 5 star and have beautiful pictures posted on their website you have set expectations. I have traveled all over the World and was never as disappointed as this time and I have seen it all from 1-5 star resorts. This resort I am sure was beautiful like on the pictures but 20 years ago however I am afraid that the management just forgot to update their website. They only have two buildings open, the main building where we stayed at and the Spa building. They have 3-4 derelict buildings which are next to the main building, fountains, pools with pipes/wires lying around. Nothing is fenced off (there was one fence half broken) and my kids easily walked up to the abandoned buildings which did not have any doors/windows and could have been hurt. The ONLY pool that was open was filthy. My 7 year old refused to get in it. There was MOLD everywhere in the pool; there was a pool bar which was not open and not cleaned in a very long time however the water was still flowing between the main pool and the pool bar. The rooms were appalling, the bathroom especially. We changed the rooms twice and both smelled awful. We had to keep the balcony door open all night due to the smell and my kids were bitten by mosquitoes so badly I had to give them Benadryl in the morning. If you look at the pictures that I posted you will see what I am talking about, mold, fungus and debris everywhere. I could continue for another page however if you look at the pictures you will not make the same mistake I did. We lasted there only 3 nights instead of 7 and we moved to a different resort on the other side of the town HNA Beach and Spa Resort which was truly a 5 star resort.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank traveler0909_12
Haikou
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Stayed for two weeks during Chinese Spring Festival. I live in China so it was nice to have authentic western food. Pizza and mexican were great, pool was clean and right on the beach. The beach was private and clean, I visited a few other beaches in the area, pretty dirty, especially Holiday Beach. A little remote but the shuttle bus was convenient. It was a nice quiet stay, will book again if I come back to Haikou.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Tomhaikou
Marbella
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I booked our stay through our timeshare exchange company. I read reviews on trip advisor and became a bit nervous about what we would find. But a few of the reviews had been very positive so I kept an open mind. My husband and I are very seasoned travelers so we are pretty resilient. The staff of this hotel are very very kind. English through out Hainan Island is a rarity. The Spa was fabulous - we had the 2.5 hour couples treatment and loved every minute of their professional and dedicated approach. The resort is in the middle of nowhere with all neighboring projects unfinished. It gives you a very lonely feeling.The food was good but very limited selection, we were bored of it after 2 days. The rooms are small, no cupboard space so our suitcases were our cupboards and formed part of the decor of the room. We checked out 3 rooms before settling due to the hanging smell of humidity and cigarette smoke. This is not an ideal location for anyone who wants either luxury rest and relaxation nor someone who wants to be within walking distance of life!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BornfreeMarbella
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2012

interesting for students of decay and decline. More than 2/3 of this hotel is derelict, i.e. no windows, trees growing from roof. The other 1/3 is a smokers paradise. Good sauna-massage. Few of the advertised services are offered or working, most of the staff can't be arsenal to do anything. Finally the hotel is surrounded by a sea of speculative, also empty, construction. Life is too short for this kind of thing. The rooms were furnished around 1980 and are maintained in their original state.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Mightymark9
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I returned to the Crown Spa Resort Hainan in June, 2011 for a two-week stay. This was my 4th. visit to this Resort, and it was everything I had hoped for it to be. I had a spacious room overlooking the pool and sea. The views from the room were outstanding.

I traveled here from the Seattle Area, and wanted to enjoy my time relaxing by the water, and enjoying good food. I was not disappointed ! This is an ideal place to unwind, rest and watch the clouds drift over the South China Sea. On most days I slept late, and enjoyed great food from one of the Resort's restaurants. By mid-afternoon I was out by the pool and seaside to swim, and enjoy the ocean views. Many evenings were spent at the Li Bai Bar listeing to the musicians sing, and play some memorable music.

I traveled to the city center of nearby Haikou twice during my stay. This city is quite urban, but is less hectic than Shenzhen or Hong Kong. The citizens here are more easy-going and laid back. Haikou has some wonderful sections to explore, and much development happening in its midst. I believe Hainan Island is like Florida was in the early 1950s - still mostly unspoiled and culturally intact. The Crown Spa Resort is just outside of the Haikou urban area on a beach on the South China Sea.

I do not speak Mandarin, so traveling independently in China does require planning, however my limitations never presented a problem at the Crown Spa Resort. Quite a number of staffmembers throughout the departments of the hotel speak English fluently. Most staff have sufficient English language skills to help you with typical needs. This has never been an issue for me, here.

During my visit the to the Resort I experienced Typhoon Haima. The center of this tropical typhoon made landfall about 100 miles north of the Resort on in the Chinese Mainland in Guangdong Province. Here at the Resort we had two days of heavy rain after some thunder and wind when the storm first came ashore. The staff were very informative with me, and I felt I was kept up-to-date on what was happening. The Resort buildings are all very large masonry structures, so I felt safe there. It was actually fun watching the storm come in on us!

I returned to Seattle via Shenzhen and Hong Kong. After returning home I was well-rested, and thankful I had the opportunity to enjoy such a beautiful resort once again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends