“Wonderful and relaxing stay”

The Ritz-Carlton Sanya, Yalong Bay
Ranked #4 of 1,330 Hotels in Sanya
Spain
“Wonderful and relaxing stay”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Sanya for 5 days after one week touring China with our daughter 8 years old. The best were the various swimming pools, the italian restaurant (we really did not like the chinese restaurant for breakfast; too overcrowded), the beach and the infinity pool. The worse: sometimes it was hard to make ourselves understood in English!!! as many of the staff did not speak it properly and the scuba diving at the pool for longer than the two hours advertised. Personally we did not stay at the Hilton next door but we went over to rent jet-skis and we did not get a good impression.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
sanya
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I only stayed at the ritz here because I heard it ws not the same awful management as singapore. But they seem to be cast from the same stone. The hotel is beautiful. The room is beautiful. The beach is lovely, even though the sea is not clear and blue but ok for swimming. The food is really substandard. I had the thai beef salad, one of my favprite dishes which I've eaten everywhere in the world. Verdict: this may have been the worst ever. The only resemblance to beef is that the original animal had four legs (i presume). Breakfast made me long for McDonalds. The breakfast restaurant is like a zoo. Maybe good food is not available in sanya. Anyway I planned to stay here for three days. But I found out I had to leave a day early so I told the hotel on arrival. They said, "It is our policy to charge you full room rate for the day that you don't stay." Kinda funny in that I'm planning to stay in sanya for a month in january/february and was going to ask them for a monthly rate. But I also have a policy and that is I don't give my business to unpleasant companies. So I'll go next door to the hilton instead.

Room Tip: I got an ocean view room but the poolside rooms looked a little more appealing.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank mijev
Beijing, China
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Second stay my family and I stay at the Ritz-Carlton in Sanya, and we are as satisfied as we were the first time!

Everything at this hotel is GREAT! So I will only mention two things of special note: first, the staff is incredibly nice and helpful, which is not often the case in China; second, the kids playroom is great fun for the kids - not only do they have a lot of good games and activities, but there is also a large shallow outside pool with a slide, which your kids will love.

My wife went for a massage at the spa and said it was very enjoyable - and she is used to getting massages weekly in Beijing at different spas.

Finally, we enjoyed all the restaurants (main restaurant and Italian restaurant). The Italian restaurant stands out and you should definitely give it a try.

Overall, if you can afford it, rain or shine, treat yourself to the Ritz-Carlton in Sanya.

Room Tip: If you can get a Villa, ask for a Garden Villa. Not only are they cheaper than Sea-View Villas, but...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jagooah
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Nice and spacious rooms, lovely selection of fruits. Hotel spa is lovely, staff there is very knowledgeable. Beautiful and clean facilities, beach staff very attentive. The pools are large and water temperature is just right. Housekeeping service was a hit or miss, some paid attention to details, some did not...but they are very friendly. Food in general was just ok...no offense but an american exec chef?? Good luck with that...most food items on the menu lacked real creativity or appeal. I have been to other 5 star properties and you could feel the chef's presence and touch in the food. I didn't come all the way to china for 'american' based food, I can get that enough here...sorry... We did manage to find some nice selections in the sofia italian restaurant, the manager there was very helpful and professional in recommending some food choices and wine...so that eased our frustration a bit.

Service in fresh 8 was slow and quite confusing...but that's another story!

In general staff was friendly in the corridors, always willing to help...did not see many managers around though...maybe they are not very hand's on, but who knows...been to other places where you met GM...his presence was not felt at all (maybe culture difference) ? etc...guess it is different here...just saying....

Room Tip: I like the east side rooms, second floor
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank asian247
Ipswich, Australia
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Built to wow the guests and the service is friendly, efficient and courtious. Not rushed, in any way, no sense of mayhem and this is how a resort should leave every traveller. The rooms are well appointed, the staff are engaging and professional. This is a resort you would cross the equator to experience. From beach frontage to breakfast, simply outstanding.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ian G
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Amazing resort with the best staff. One of my best vacations ever.

• Stayed September 2011
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We chose to stay at the Ritz Carlton in Sanya for 5 days following a two weeks tour in China with our two daughters 10 and 8 years old. We chose to stay in a lagoon suite with the pool and a private jacuzzi in front of the room as our daughters love swimming. We had a great stay! The highlights of the hotel are: the cocktails at night at the pool bar after swimming a few meters, the pool water temperature, the Italian restaurant (we went every evening as the manager's welcome, the chef's food and staff's service were outstanding), the beach which is very nice and not overcrowded and my daughters' free scuba diving experience in the swimming pool. Contrary to many reviews, the service standards were good (especially the lady in charge of the cleaning of our suite who every day insured in a confident English that all was fine). The negatives: upon arrival, we were given a lagoon suite next to an hotel aisle under construction. We requested another suite which was great. Also the boutique of the hotel is quite expensive

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family