“Really enjoy the stay!”

The Ritz-Carlton Sanya, Yalong Bay
Ranked #3 of 1,365 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This is my second time in this hotel. I booked the Lagoon Room in their website, but when I arrived in the hotel, the manager said that all the rooms are full so they are going to update my room to the Garden Villa. This Garden Villa was fantastic!! first when I was booking the room, i thought to book this villa, but the price was too expensive, but seems that I got luck and stayed in this villa. Besides the Villa, the hotel pool and the beach was good too! Next time when I decide to came so Sanya. The Garden Villa of Ritz-Carlton definitely will be my first choice!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank miucciasui
Write a ReviewReviews (2,096)

Reviewed 9 April 2012

I was very much looking forward to this trip. However, I came home feeling disappointed and ripped off. Here's why.

Check In:
We arrived by cab. Walked straight through an army of perhaps 5-8 staff members at the entrance. No one paid any attention to us. No one guided us to the check-in counter. We weren't sure exactly where to go to check-in, so perhaps a sign would have helped. When we finally found our way, we were told by a staff member to have a seat on the sofa (I'm 6 months pregnant) and that he'd get us when the next receptionist was available to check us in. This did not happen. Several other guests who arrived after us jumped the queue and when we asked the staff whatever happened to the order of things, he just looked at us helplessly and promised that our turn was next. It was absolutely chaotic. Finally when it got to our turn, we were told that our room was not yet ready because the guest staying in the room before us, had not checked out. It was 1pm. We were told that we'd had to wait around and they'd give us a call on our mobile when the room was ready. We went for lunch at Fresh 8 and at 2pm, there was still no call. A pro-active wait staff went to check with the reception and found out that our room was ready. What happened to the promise of a call? We would have hung around like fools if we had not checked. No one directed us to our room nor did any porter offer to carry our bags for us. First impressions are the most important. Sadly, it all went downhill from here.

The room:
When we arrived in the room, there were no bath ropes (as the spa brochure indicated there would be in our rooms) and the blue slippers provided by the resort were still wet. We took a nap, only to be awoken by the sounds of a vacuum cleaner. The walls at the Ritz are incredibly thin, so we not only could hear our neighbours' kids yelling and crying, each time housekeeping came into their rooms to clean up, we could hear the banging of the vacuum cleaner against the wall. This happened on 2 out of the 3 days we were there.

Pool:
We had wanted to go for a swim. When we got to the pool side, we asked for towels, only to be told by the staff that there were no more towels. That was it. There was no offer from them to go get new towels, neither did they tell us when the new batch of towels would arrive. So my husband made them go get some new towels from the other towel station. The wait staff came back with two. When we laid them on the deck chair, we realized they were stained with brown muck. Clearly unhygienic. We returned them and politely asked for new ones. The wait staff again went to get 'new towels' from somewhere else and again, the towels were stained with brown dots. We must have stood by the pool for a good 15 minutes before proper 'clean' towels came.

Others:
When I booked our package with the travel agency, I had indicated that we were in Sanya to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The travel agency called 3 days before departure to ask when our wedding anniversary was as the hotel had wanted to do something special for us. During our stay at the Ritz, nothing special was arranged. My believe is to always under promise and over deliver.

I guess the above points are acceptable if the hotel was a Holiday Inn or Ramada. But this is the Ritz Carlton and I had paid good money to stay here. I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton chain of hotels all around the world, and was sorely disappointed with my experience in Sanya. If this hotel doesn't buck up, it will be the next Holiday Inn.

One dining outlet I must commend though - Sand. The standard of service there was impeccable. We found the wait staff working there to be genuinely happy and they made sure that our every need was looked after. This must be attributed to the manager, Ravi Kumar. Half way through dinner, it started storming and many guests who were seated outdoors had to be moved indoors. The staff proactively braved the lightning and heavy rain to make such arrangements. They truly deserve a pat on their back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank MadamJay
Reviewed 1 April 2012

The property itself is absolutely gorgeous and very well maintained - pristine! It is situated for true rest and relaxation, nice beach, great pools and spa. There are several restaurants on the property, we tried them all. Sofia's and Pearl are the winners in service, caliber of cuisine and value for money. Sands the beach bar and grill is over priced for a beach bar setting. The housekeeping staff is lovely, front desk and concierge try very hard but they just do not have any control of English. If you come here and want to do anything off of property, you need to be an adventurer. The pool staff passes by infrequently to attend to your needs, you need to go and get them. We have Spa treatments regularly at home and found the Spa here good but very expensive. I only saw one other client there, I think it is the pricing.
I found the staff poorly acquainted with what to do in the area of real interest or simple things like finding a dress maker who works with Chinese silk.

We did relax although it was a working holiday but I have to say I missed the Bangkok Marriott Riverside experience!

Room Tip: Overlooking the main pool and gardens is peaceful!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BornfreeMarbella
Reviewed 15 January 2012

fabulous beach, the best of Sanya,food there didn't reach the quality as we expected, service staff arrogant everywhere, different service between Chinese and foreigner, we desided to move somewhere else next day,

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank vivian w
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Amazing food & great staff all round - in particular Sucy at the tea room & Dadanian at Fresh8 in particular. The grounds and pool are immaculate.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I stayed with my friends at Garden view balcony room at the Ritz in July end 2011.
The rooms were top notch.
The resort is huge and has lots to explore around. It has a well equipped amusement roon with table tennis, badminton, fooseball, chess and other board games to enjoy. There is a projector TV which plays movies for kids to keep them busy.
There are a number of Mahajong rooms. The resort had about 4 (or 3?) swimming pools. We did enjoy spending our times at the pool. Not to miss is the pool size bar which also serves great snacks.

The staff is really helpful. It was my husband's birthday and the staff was helpful enough to arrange for the surprise layout of his birthday cake (ofcourse on my instructions, but it was a flawless execution).

The breakfast buffet is sumptuous with almost something from every cusine.
The spa at the resort is also very nice with close access to a great beach.

All in all a very self sufficient and hospitable place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We expect a lot from Ritz Carlton hotels given the price and reputation. Firstly the hotel is 120RMB from airport, about 45 mins so not close. Upon check in, they made us wait a long time. I like Eastern hospitality but it just tends to be disorganized and slow, ie our room wasn't ready despite we called that morning confirming a noon time arrival. And after we waited and hung around, checked in, we got our welcome drinks. Wierd. But that is not a big deal. The rooms and beach are generally fabulous- Yalong bay is gorgeous! But when lounging by the pool, no one comes around to offer drinks or food. At the beach we did get a free shot of mango juice, but she also never came back. You have to chase down service. Also - not a big deal because some people like their peace. The biggest issue is the unknowledgeable concierge people. They led us mistakenly to the kids pool to get tennis racquets and then had no recommendations for restaurants out of the hotel. Finally at check out, they tried to tax us 22 Rmb claiming it was Hainan service fee. We disputed this saying our travel agent should have charged it. They removed it. All in all- great for China albeit very costly! But service levels and training need work.

• Stayed: December 2011