“Excellent Stay”

The Ritz-Carlton Sanya, Yalong Bay
Ranked #3 of 1,350 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I enjoyed my stay with my family last week and joined their 5th anniversary activities! I enjoyed breakfast and Chinese restaurant. Staff was so caring and attentive. I was in Club Ocean View Room and could go to Club Lounge to enjoy 5 meals a day! This is a great value. And I also took a free Mercedes Benz to Yalong Bay Forest Park provided by the hotel

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank J T

Reviewed 23 April 2013

It was our first trip to Hainan, and the first time to stay with Ritz-Carlton Sanya. Most staff were friendly, but not enough manning sometime I feel. The most impressive things are kids facilities, my kids just loved Uncle Martin's Garden a lot. Overall, it's a very nice hotel to stay and we're sure to come back again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I don't think I need to say too much about the brand and the hotel.
I went to Sanya with my mom in 2011, and it was the third time I visited the city. Ritz Carlton Sanya was definitely the best. We booked an ocean view room, and they upgraded us to the club level. The view from my room was stunning. The service was great, and there were some high-end shops at the hotel. The massage at the spa was unforgettable.
Cons:
We went to Sanya during the Chinese New Year, so it seemed crowded.
It is definitely world class hotel and I highly recommend to everyone.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2013

let's get the negatives out of the way. first, the sand restaurant. i thought the food was mediocre and the service inattentive at dinner service.ok, negatives out of the way.

let's start at check-in. i was greeted by Shirley, who i believe supervises the front desk operation. she was AMAZING. she made me feel right at home before i spent more than five minutes on the grounds. She is they type of service one expects at the ritz. After check-in was concluded, i was handed off to a staff member who escorted me to my room with a bellman in tow with my bag. once in the room, i was given a tour of my room and how things operated. very professional and again very ritz-y. the room was clean, spacious and sun filled. instead of turn down chocolates each day, a different seashell was presented each day. there was one small problem with the room and that involved the shower. the shower has both a spray and rain showere head, but like many asian hotels, water seems to leak through the seams of the glass shower thereby flooding the floor. i rectified this by taking the rubber shower mat and placing it up against the showere door and shower floor which seemed to stop the flooding.

let's discuss the resort itself. there are three pools. one was a larger pool with a swim up bar called the cube. chaise lounges were placed all around the pool with accompanying umbrellas to shade the chair from the sun. there were also four large "cabana's" where two or more people can lie down together and the group could be shaded by these pergola type structures. the second pool is an infinity type pool with no edges that seem like it just extends into the ocean fro certain angles. there are four more of these pergola structures near this pool as well as chaise lounges. the third pool is a kiddie pool with slides and other amusements for the kids.

At the beach, which is a private beach, rows of chaise lounges abound for those who like the ocean water more than the pool. it also appears that one could also rent one of those vehicles that mall security uses to get around for beach use. the name of these accelerometer based vehicles escape me at the moment.

the hotel also tries to organize one beach related activity each day at around sunset. one night it was a beach campfire, another night it was beach football. theere is also a beach vollyball net and court set up for everyday use.

The lobby bar that looks out towards the ocean (but does not look out over the ocean) is a fun way to relax in the mid afternoon to unwind before dinner. the hotel also has a vuitton store, a todt's store and a feragammo store, but the prices seem to be a tad higher than i could get elsewhere, but i must be wrong because i thought these types of stores, especially vuitton had uniform pricing throughout it's stores.

I had the opportunity to sample all the hotels dining options except for room service. i was totally dissapointed by the aforementioned sand restaurant. the pearl, which is the asian restaurant was fine but similar fare could be obtained off premises for much less, but the problem is that it is off premises. who wants to leave a hotel such as this. the third option was sofia, the italian fine dining restaurant which i thought was rather good. not especially fine dining, but in comparison to the sand and the pearl, it was fine dining in presentation and atmosphere at least if not in actual food quality. lastly, there is the breakfast restaurant which served a buffet every morning. the food here was consistent, although not particularly spectacular. there was plenty to choose from from eggs and omeletes to asian breakfast choices as well. in another review of the renaissance resort in sanya, their breakfast buffet set-up blows the ritz's away. in fact i mentioned this to one of the restauarants associate managers.

now, as to what makes the ritz THE ritz...it is the people. they are all professional, well trained, friendly and extremely earnest in wanting to ensure that you have the best time possible. from the front desk to the staff handing out beach towels, noone could have been nicer or kinder. the type of service one expects from the ritz is present here and i would gladly come back.

Room Tip: the ocean view is beautiful, but next time i would try to get a laguna room which leads directly fro...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank fongghoul
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Ritz Sanya is a nice property. If I were here solo or with my husband, it would be fine. With young kids... there are much better places in Sanya. That said, when I think of the Ritz, I think of being someplace special... and you pay to be someplace special. I think other properties that are not "of the same category level" of Ritz do a much better job of making guests feel that their time on their property will be amazing.

With or without kids-- club lounge is worth it, pay for it.

Restaurants are very good. Excellent meal and service at the Italian restaurant. In house bakery is very good-- enjoyed their cookies and dessert.

Room decor-- plain and boring.

With kids-- they have a program with passport and all, but no one knows anything about the program. Different answers from different staff, including from guest relations managers who had to call me and tell me they were wrong. Kids Club is dated, but at least they have a room filled with items. Uncle Martin' secret garden is very nice... but why don't they tell you that you can have someone guide you there and tell you everything before you are about to leave the property?

One of the reasons we choose this property (instead of Mandarin Oriental which was cheaper), was to be on Yalong Bay. However, where the Ritz is, the have limited sun beds and the sun beds/umbrellas are on an incline. It is not as comfortable (vs flat sand). I watched a few families/couples frustrated at finding no places to sit.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2013

The Ritz does its thing. I was here for a business meeting, and the location is great, the service is awesome, and the food tremendous. However, what keeps it from a five star rating is the fact that it is in Sanya. Not the Ritz's fault that the snorkeling and diving is lackluster here. It cannot compete geographically with the Maldives relative the coral and fish. As a hotel, it is top notch; nevertheless, I have spent less for more at other locations and that is the only reason for a four star instead of five.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2013

I stayed from 28 – 31st January 2013 and having paid about USD 750 per night for the Club Ocean View, I had high expectations from Ritz Carlton. Sad to say I was extremely disappointed and it was not worth at all spending the money in Ritz. Ritz could not even match hotels like Mandarin Oriental and Shangri-La in every aspect, and I paid about one third for these hotels in other countries.
First of all, I did not get all the “Club Level” benefits as advertised in the website. The staffs at the Club Lounge were not aware of the benefits. I asked for a return car transfer within Yalong Bay as advertised, but were rejected and they were passing the phone around. The staff (if I can remember correctly Fu NaNa) rejected my request as she had zero knowledge on the return transfer. Eventually Eva arranged it for me, I appreciate that. I did not see any personalized stationary, and food in the lounge was frequently not replenished. I would only recommend taking the Club Room if you love alcoholic drinks as they offered free flow of liquor, beer, red/ white wine and sparkling water (Pellegrino and Perrier).
Service, as mentioned by others, was awful. We were seldom greeted and some just ignored us. There was really nothing to expect in the Club Room. I had so much better service in Shangri-La Beijing (not even a Club Room).
I went to Ritz to propose to my girlfriend. The proposal was successful, but before arriving, I had sent many e-mails to Ritz. They were not very helpful and did not try to accommodate and coordinate to make my proposal a memorable one, except Bipin, whom I must compliment because he had really tried his best to help out. Only Eva and Bipin are helpful and friendly, the rest, you can forget about it.
My hand phone charger was broken after the housekeeping; they could not even bother to write down a note to apologize. They just left the broken part on the table, that’s it. I don’t think I will ever stay in Ritz again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple