“Good choice, but spa/food rip off”

The Ritz-Carlton Sanya, Yalong Bay
Ranked #3 of 1,350 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Our second time at the hotel. Staff is great, quality and the rooms and grounds are also great. The only question on whether to come back again or not are the service prices. 10usd for one scoop of ice cream at the lobby bar, are you kidding me?? Over 250usd for a very simple dinner for two at the beach front restaurant?? Two massages at 400usd? I would highly suggest they get a bit more realistic about their prices so guests do not feel taken advantage of.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank norbertghz
The Ritz-Carlto... S, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Sanya, Yalong Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Guest Norbertghz,

Thank you for taking your time to share your valuable feedback about your recent stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Sanya.

I highly appreciate your positive comments about our ladies and gentlemen, service quality and condition of rooms as well as our grounds.

With regard to the pricing in our outlets and spa, in general our prices are aligned and competitive with other luxury hotels in Sanya. In order to give our guest the best possible dining experience we use a lot of high quality imported ingredients that have a higher cost attached.
However you are absolutely right that US$ 10 is too much for a scoop ice cream and I have asked my senior leadership team to look into this.

If you could afford the time I would be pleased to discuss this further with you. I may be reached directly at +86 898 8858 6869.

I look forward hearing from you.

Michel Goget, General Manager

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Just back Hong Kong from Sanya Ritz Carlton.
We had a fantastic stay, Resort just beautiful, gardening, pools, beach, food & beverage outlet are six stars.
Started with warm welcome at the front, helpful staffs at reception, porter bring bags to our room, can see all are well train, big thanks to the managements.
We stayed in a normal deluxe room, surprised us was room is big, bathroom also large size, shower room is the biggest we been. Everyday after breakfast, we just relax & enjoy beside the pool.
Our first day afternoon at Scene, very relaxing, beach & sea view, food is good, burger good standard, dinner at Fresh 8, hot pot on Fri night, seafoods very fresh, beef can be improve.
Second night, dinner at Sofia Italian Restaurant, highly recommend Pumpkin Soup, & Pizza ,
other food items also very good, seafood soup can be hotter.
Our last night dinner at Pearl Chinese, Very good & delicious.
Tips- taxi fare from airport to hotel (RMB 100-120) must try Sofia, follow by Pearl. Buffet Breakfast stunning.
Sure we will go back to this heaven again in near future to try out Sands Restaurant & The Spa.

Room Tip: Stay Ocean view room or pool access room. Block 1 is a bit too far from main building.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Fred N
Reviewed 17 January 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at the Ritz Carlton Sanya in December. I would like to say, without hesitation, that this hotel is among the elite hotels which set the standards for deluxe world class service. We travel extensively for both business and pleasure and frequently reside at those hotels known as the 6 stars of service.

The Ritz Carlton Sanya is exceptional. The staff is not only service oriented, but do everything possible to anticipate and meet the needs of every guest. And, they do so with a "can do" spirit combined with a warmth and friendliness not apparent in many places. Everything we experienced during our stay was outstanding including the restaurants and ESPA spa. We thank everyone there for making our holiday and our Christmas so far from home very special.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank traveleseeker
The Ritz-Carlto... S, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Sanya, Yalong Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful review of our property with the Trip Advisory community. I am thrilled you enjoyed the amenities and services. We strive to be your “home away from home” when traveling and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

This not just a Ritz Carlton Hotel, but a Beautiful Resort!!!!! Rooms and baths are huge and luxurious!!! But what stands out above all this is the service!!!! I hurt my foot during our stay and they took exceptional care of me!!! They drove us to hospital, stayed in the room as interpreters even while getting stiches, Came to our room every morning to change the dressing and best of all? Chauffeured me to the beach in one of their gators so I could still enjoy the beautiful sea! I was truly sad when we had to leave. Thank you Wit, May and all the rest whose names I have shamefully forgotten! You all made sure we could still enjoy our trip and I am forever grateful!!!!!! Mishelle and Sue

Room Tip: Club Level!!!!!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MishelleSerendipity
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Absolutely beautiful property, with spacious rooms. Was there for business meeting. Had been told Sanya is Asia's Hawaii. I have to say that the beaches and water do not compare in any way to Hawaii but if you find yourself in Sanya, this is the place to stay. No place to buy drinks/snacks other than the crazy expensive mini bar so bring some along if at all possible. Very good breakfast (western and Asian choices, with wonderful fresh fruit). Room service and restaurants fine, but not amazing (says this picky vegetarian). Decided to try the Chinese massage in the beautiful spa (when in China, right?). Well, there is a reason Chinese massages haven't taken the world by storm. I knew you wore loose clothes. I didn't expect the technique to be quite so grabby, choppy and unpredictable. So go to the spa but stick with aromatherapy or maybe Thai. The gym is well equipped but with no view, so I chose long walks on beach instead.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights at the hotel this Christmas and had a thoroughly enjoyable time. We booked a deluxe ocean view room and was allocated a room on the 7th floor overlooking the Yalong Bay. The view is excellent. We chose a twin bed room which comes with 2 Queen beds. The room is rather big and it comfortably held 3 adults, one toddler and one infant. Although it's a smoking room, there was no stale cigarette smell in the room.

The staff in the hotel are very well-trained, polite and friendly.

The hotel is really child-friendly. We chose this hotel because we were traveling with a tot and an infant and wanted to ensure an enjoyable time for all. The tot was thrilled to be provided with her own bedroom slippers, bathrobe and potty. The outdoor children's pool is heated so we went dipping even though it was only 20 degrees outside. We also appreciated the various activities the hotel organizes the for kids everyday as part of the Ritz Kids Club. The indoor play room with its extensive toy collection will keep young children occupied.

I looked forward to breakfast everyday with their spread of delicious western, Chinese and Japanese buffet items. My favourite was the fresh whole coconuts which are part of the beverage selection.

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 26 December 2013

-Amazing view, room, sand, swimming pools, spa and restaurant.
-Great for a relaxing, weekend trip and such a quick flight over from Hong Kong and Shanghai, packed with mainland tourists, no wonder that the hotel can command eye popping rates over the peak seasons!
- Service again can be better, but again I know that the service industry is still very new in China..
- One thing is that people smoke everywhere.. I found buds in the swimming pool! many hotel staff seem afraid to stop them from smoking..

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple