“Make Friends & Learn About China from Peter & His Staff”

Blue Sky International Youth Hostel
Ranked #2 of 231 Speciality Lodging in Sanya
Haikou, China
“Make Friends & Learn About China from Peter & His Staff”
Reviewed 16 September 2010

While Traveling Solo in China -Friendly, Knowledgeable People like Peter, the owner of this hostel are Priceless. He is full of hospitable, entrepreneurial positive energy willing
to help his guests with any question or problem they may have so actually
the rooms and their rates are a secondary consideration. Ok just so this doesn't sound too complimentary, the Wi-Fi inside my room was too low to use but downstairs near the reception there was good access. Value for money wise, well I did find a hotel room on the 13th floor of a nearby building farther away from the beach with a GREAT view for 100 Yuan compared to the P140 yuan I paid for my air-conditioned private room at Peter's place. Peter's staff are educated and from all over China which adds to the benefits of staying there.

When I first looked for this place I missed it so as your turn right off the main road where the local buses come from Sanya ( main city where long distance buses drop you )
you will see a huge modern mall with huge exterior advertisments and as this
small road curves to the right look to your left and you will notice some
ads in Russian language, turn left here walk 75 meters to see his blue color
building. and International hostel sign.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 August 2010

My friend and I arrived in Sanya very late. When we checked into Blue Sky they didn't know what rooms were occupied and which were not. So at 1am, we were led thru hallways while the front desk staff was knocking on and opening up people's rooms to see if a private room we requested was occupied or not. As two young women we felt very uncomfortable. Once we finally found a vacant room, the AC broke in the middle of the night, in hot hot Sanya. It was hell! The beds also felts very lousy. Overall bad experience. We finally went to Sanya Backpackers for a 100% better experience.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 30 January 2010

I stayed at Blue Sky International Youth Hostel for 3 nights in January. It seemed to be well reviewed on Trip Advisor and other internet sites, and as I was travelling by myself, I didn't mind roughing it a bit. I have stayed at many hostels over the years, and would have to say that this was my overall worst experience. The rooms are not good value, and the owner seems to be raising the prices after positive acclaim on the internet and travel guides. I stayed in a private room, and had my own bathroom. There was no toilet seat and the sheets did not seem to be changed/washed. The hostel is located in Dadonghai Bay, which is very touristy and heavily populated with Chinese and Russian holiday go'ers on package tours. The strangest thing happened to me on my second day. I returned to my room after exploring the beach, and found a 20-year old Western guy sleeping on my bed -- I had my personal belongings and toiletries still out in the room. I quietly closed the door and went downstairs, and the receptionist was apologetic. They had thought that he was to stay with me, despite I had paid for a private room for myself -- it was some type of mix-up. I was disturbed by this, and asked to check-out early. As I paid for 3 nights up-front, they refused to return my third night payment -- I made some noise and spoke to the owner, Peter. The owner defended his position by saying he was a businessman and we made a deal -- whatever, the room was cheap enough for me not to bother, and I left the hostel without a refund. It was quite a way to spoil the trip. I would not recommend this place, and have no plans to return. Finally, there is free wi-fi, but it was very slow.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
Vilnius
Reviewed 3 August 2009

The hostel was quite hard to find. Well at least they give out the towels for free, but the room are usually a total mess, because of the sand. The beds in dormitory room are so noisy! You can't move at night, just not to wake up others. The air conditioner doesn't work properly as well. It took me 25 minutes in the middle of the night to turn it on again. Had to switch off electricity, take out the batteries from remote control and go through all the buttons... even the day before staff member was struggling switching it on.

The Internet is so slow...

You shouldn't buy trips from hostel, because they add quite an overhead to the price. As well as renting the motorbike. I've heard somewhere near is another motorbike rent and much cheaper. The hostel wants 200Y per day, but you can bargain down to 150Y. Be sure the tank is full, because mine wasn't. After refilling it, they told me that I was supposed to fill only the same amount which was there. How on earth I should know how full it was? The tank arrow is analog, not digital! So the manager haven't handled the situation properly and I was kind of pissed off... It ruined my day and evening. They just wish to make money from everything.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
San Rafael, California
Reviewed 12 October 2008

Had read previous reviews of this place that stated it was great and that the owner Peter really looked after his guests. It's all true. The staff go out of their way to make sure the guests are well informed about various activities, safety precautions, recommendations, etc... The place is really clean and affordable. About a block or so to the beach. Great location. Overall a great stay.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — A bit hard to find, down an alley off of main street.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)