“Great Hotel.. But plz do more” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pullman Sanya Yalong Bay Villas & Resort

Pullman Sanya Yalong Bay Villas & Resort
Ranked #17 of 1,326 Hotels in Sanya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vladivostok, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2010

I stayed there for 3 nights with my wife on the way back to Russia from Hong Kong and at the moment i can say that we enjoyed this place, especially we liked a Chinese restaurant, the dishes were tasty (I would say delicious), in principle I do not like to eat in the restaurants of expensive chain hotels in China, but this one was something special.
Minus of this hotel is that they do not provide shuttle buses for guests and if u re going to Dadonghai or Sanya city u should get a taxi(actually they have some buses but used only for staff).

Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ostol2006
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2010

I booked a four-night package, which included the free-of-charge option of an upgrade in case of availability. I understand that the Thai Villas are the big ones, with 270 square meters. The other villas have around 150 square meters. We were lucky to get an upgrade, but I must say that I saw the other (smaller) villas too, and that I definitely would choose this hotel again, even without getting an upgrade. What mostly makes the Thai Villa bigger is that it has a huge garden house, which we never really used though.

This place is perfect! I was excited and laughing like a small child when I first entered it. Huge private pool, spacious, luxurious, clean. It has a whirlpool inside, and sitting in the hot water at night, lighting some candles, opening the big sliding door right next to it, you can jump directly into the pool if you feel it's too hot in the whirlpool. It's really amazing.

We only went to the Chinese restaurant once, which we found to be good. We also went to the seafood buffet on the weekend, which was nice too. It's a bit pricey but still ok.

What many people care and write about any hotel is its location. This hotel is not lying directly at the beach, but if you want to go you just call the reception and they send an electric small golf cart type of thing to your room to either directly take you to the private beach or to the reception, from where small cars commute between the beach and the reception every few minutes. I found this to be absolutely no problem. If you're in a resort directly at the beach, they're often so huge that it takes you some walking from your room to the beach too. And the Pullman is really just right behind the Hilton, Marriot and Ritz Carlton. In fact we often just walked through the Hilton directly to the beach.

The Pullman's private beach is clean and nice. I have done some travelling in China before, and this is definitely the best beach I have seen so far in China. It is not as white and powdery as some beaches in Asias top locations, but it's really ok. And the best thing is, the beach is not crowded. You can really relax on the beach, read books, sleep a bit, or take part in the countless water sports activities that are offered at the beach. (In the Hilton and Marriot zone of the beach, so the Pullmans, private beach area is really quiet.). I found that these hotels don't really care so much about who walks in and out (I hope this has nothing to do with me being a white guy). So my girlfriend and I sometimes were playing in the pool ar having a dring at the pool bar in the Hilton or the Carl-Rizton.

Considering taking a normal room in the Hilton or Ritz Carlton, I really must say that I personally think it would not even come close to the experience of your own Villa in the Pullman. The little bit longer distance compared to the Hilton really doesn't count for me. We're talking about 5minutes difference here. And if you really so much want to, you can still go to the pool area of the other hotels anyway.

There's only one thing, you don't have sea view in your private Villa, but I found that to be absolutely no problem. I'd rather go for my own yard, pool, indoor whirl pool, garden house etc...

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sinoreen
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2010

We stayed 3 nights in August, flying from Hong Kong.
The hotel was beautiful, we stayed in the main body of the hotel and had direct pool access from our bedroom. Although none of us spoke Mandarin we didn't have too many problems with language difficulties. The pool bar was closed when we were there (maybe it's open in peak season though) but the beach bar was open and it was easy to get to the beach as a buggy picks you up from outside the lobby. The prices of food and drink in the hotel were absolutely ridiculous, in the bars and the restaurants, although we had money off coupons as part of our package we still didn't attempt eating in the Hotel restaurants. I'd read on here something about a food court at the Crowne Plaza, so we asked the only English speaking girl at reception, who claimed that there was nowhere to eat outside the hotel unless you take a 35 min taxi ride to Sanya! Utter rubbish - take a taxi or a 5 min walk back along the main road and just passed the turning for the Crowne Plaza hotel is a little shopping/restaurant area. The prices are a million times more reasonable and there's lots of choice. The Thai restaurant was particularly fine. The resort is primarily full of Chinese and Russian tourists so the menus are in Chinese first with Russian translations and then English which us quite fun. There is also a little supermarket in the complex so we bought beer and very cheap Stoli vodka and went back to our hotel rather than drink all evening in the bars.
The hotel games room has a pool table, snooker table, ping pong, mahjong tables and chess/draughts and was quite popular with families and young people in the evening. We also enjoyed fishing in the hotel lake, it was easy to catch fish although they were all small so we threw them back.
The beach is beautiful and the water was gorgeous, but again the watersports options were stupidly expensive.
Also, I forgot to say that the rooms were fantastic, the bathrooms were fantastic and there's plenty of space with enough English language TV channels to keep you happy whilst a typhoon goes across (as happened to us one afternoon)

• Stayed August 2010
2 Thank sah79
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2010

My husband and I travel through Asia very regularly and had Sanya on our radar for a while. Pullman is a beautiful property - lots of water, wonderful swimming pools, great lobby all on a beautiful site. The big big problem here is service. Honestly, if this property wants people to return they really need to lift their game.

On check in, the wrong price per night was recorded in the system which took over an hour for the staff to understand and sort out and the room was not ready either. We were not explained anything about the resort and basically used all of our time at the property to figure things out as we went along. The grounds are so big that unless you are advised where things are and what there is to do there is no way for you to know as front desk staff (as per other reviews) are not capable of explaining anything nor are they very switched on with providing you with maps. Trying to request anything is a frustrating mission as the English is very very poor. We have travelled all through China and here it would have to be at the lower end of the capability scale.

After arriving at our room we had questions pertaining to the day spa and gym and Reception staff answering calls could not understand English to provide answers. After five tries I walked down to the gym to personally ask the questions and eventually got an answer after what felt like a game of charades. The person here didn't even know where the day spa was so I had to go back to Reception to ask the location before I could go on my merry way again to ask my next question. Just unbelievably so frustrating. I returned to my husband who was waiting in our room 1.5 hours later with not much answered. On return, there were a number of room questions we had so attempted to have a conversation with Reception and Housekeeping. Two hours later as we were hopping in to bed a random person turned up at the door who honestly could not speak a word of English - so they had no idea why they were at our room and we could not communicate what we needed. Hopeless.

Even trying to ask for salt, espresso, a fork etc in the restaurant was impossible as no one could speak enough English to answer basic questions. Why have a person cooking eggs if they cannot understand the words "well done". All we received were blank looks. The main restaurant works on a different theme each night and the reception staff in the restaurant didn't understand enough English to advise what the theme was. What they need is a host to welcome you, answer questions and ensure you are happy. There was none of this.

Rooms are generous in size with large cumfy beds. Walls quite thin though so you can hear the TV next door if you have noisy neighbours. Internet in room although you have to pay for it. Lovely rain showers in the bathroom.

We asked the Australian Manager (who never seemed to be around) where the nearest supermarket was and he advised a 30 minute taxi ride away. So there was no place to buy bottle water or snacks for our room. We therefore bought things from the very expensive souvenier shop where a few basic items are on the shelves. On our last day we found out from another couple staying at the Pullman there was infact a store within the Crowne Plaza hotel complex which was only 2 minutes by taxi. A shame the Manager was either not truthful or knowledgeable enough to point us in the right direction. We were also advised there were no other restaurants or bars along this hotel strip area so did all our eating and drinking within the hotel which was very boring to say the least. Food reasonable, but definately not 5 star standard and basically the same things every night. Of course, within the Crowne Plaza complex where we found the supermarket there was also a variety of outdoor cafes - Thai, Italian, Chinese, fruit store, fresh juice store, outdoor bar, a few boutiques etc. We started to wonder if we were purposely given incorrect information so we didn't venture out from the hotel and spend all our money there. Can recommend the pizza at Havana Pizzeria within the Crowne Plaza's outdoor cafes - excellent.

The picture of the Pullman private beach area is misleading - it basically shows a stretch of sand with umbrellas so didn't check it out until the last day and utilized the pools instead. We found the beach infact had very comfortable pool lounges and a bar with a variety of light meals and a deck on top with shady areas with single and double pool lounges for hanging out. Nice little outdoor shower facility with soap, shampoo and towels. It was probably one of the main features of this hotel and no one told us this existed - nor did they tell us of the cafe style food down there. We would have spent most of our time on the beach if we knew this but information was not made available. As you needed to catch the hotel shuttle to get to the private beach it was not an area visable from the hotel or an area you stumble across.

We basically spent our whole trip discovering things and felt like asking for our flight and accommodation to be refunded so we could try it all again after being informed of what the Pullman actually have.

Would I stay again? Yes, if the service improved. It is an amazing and beautiful property and I have rated it "average" purely because the service is so frustrating. I left thinking the hotel was well planned out and it is the service and execution that drags it down. I did not feel like I had a holiday after I left as it was really hard work. If they are labelling this property as a Pullman resort which is an international brand and labelling it 5 stars they really need to lift the service standards. They should get a host to welcome guests, give them information, take them on one of the many little golf carts used to zip around the resort as an introduction to the property so guests can see where things are and what is available. And please - train the staff!!!!!

See you again when there are glowing reports of service... if you want a beautiful property to laze around and get away from it all then this is the place. But if you do not speak Chinese and think you may need some service along the way this place is probably not for you. Be sure to get the lay of the land within your first day so your trip is not wasted.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lostinparadise07
Berkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2010

The hotel itself has beautiful settings, some of the reception staff are hard to deal with (not speaking English) and trying to communicate is a problem if you don't know Mandarin! We stayed in a "Thai Villa" which has it's own pool and seperate lounge overlooking the pool. It has a very good layout whereby one end of the pool leads onto an outside shower and next to that is the indoor shower itself, there is also a separate jacuzzi in the bathroom and the toilet is also separate.

We ate at each of the restaurants, the buffet at "Rive Gauche" where breakfast is taken, the restaurant "Le Chinois" was also good, do try to avoid "the American steakhouse" , whilst we were there, a couple complained (I think about the food), we would have done if we'd known the language!

Apart from the staff in reception other staff elsewhere were very helpful and very polite. Transportation (golf buggies) were also provided for hotel guests if you didn't want to walk to the restaurants and lobby.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Cardiff, Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

The overall impression of the hotel is one of a luxury resort providing a high level of service. During our five night stay this standard was maintained.

We stayed in a villa room with a private pool. All the fittings were of a very high standard, the bathroom very luxurious with spa bath and we loved the walk-through wardrobe. The pool, the outside patio, courtyard and of course the room were spotlessly clean.

The little maze (beautifully landscaped) of villas, became easy to navigate around after some initial orientation, but when it is hot we recommend making use of the golf buggy taxi service as even the shortest walk will get you sweating.

The main hotel pools were beautifully sculptured, and when we were there, not being used by many people. Reception & check- out was friendly and efficient.

There is not much else around in Yalong bay, except hotels so we ate at the Pullman. Mainly we chose the buffet restaurant, which had a different theme each night. We enjoyed all of our meals. There was a wide variety and a high standard so it did not become boring, although the constant presence of the chocolate fountain was a continuing pleasure. One night we tried the Chinese restaurant. The food was very good but they could not manage to bring our courses together at the same time. I know this is usual in China, but they should be able to do this in a 5 star hotel.

The hotel does not have a beach front location, but provides a constant service via free golf buggies to the private beach. We did not find this a drawback. The beach was spotless & the sea was warm and had lots of waves. We enjoyed the happy-hour cocktails from the beach-bar.

We would certainly stay there again and just have 3 minor complaints:

1. The air-conditioning in our room was just about sufficient. Sometimes it got a little too warm. The maintenance checked it but said it was ok. I think it could have been better.
2. There was no air-conditioning in the main bar. In the evening it became too hot to stay there. We enjoyed the 2 singer\guitarists but we could not stay too long and noticed that other people felt the same.
3. There was not enough tourist information and when we asked at reception we were given misleading information about taxi-fares, distances & times to attractions. Much of this I’m sure was due to translation problems. Also, the hotel cars are much more expensive than local taxis.

I would repeat , that these were only very small issues and we would recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple