“the hotel and service were awesome”
Review of Banyan Tree Sanya

Banyan Tree Sanya
Ranked #10 of 1,347 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Me and my family visited Banyan Tree a couple of years ago in November and I would highly recoommend this place. The service was at the highest level, while the hotel was very beautiful and comfortable. In November there were a few visitors and a big advantage was that we saw them only during the breakfast. Every villa is private and it seems that you are the only guest at the hotel.
Food was great-very tasty asian cuisine. Also, we ordered in-villa dining, which consisted of various bbqs,snacks,salads and it was pretty good.
Disadvantage is the beach, the water was very still and quiet. It seemed to be a like rather than a sea. Although, there was a beautiful and very long pier.
Our friends stayed at The Ritz Carlton, so we decided to visit them. Well, The Ritz was overpriced and packed, the villas were small, the swimming pools at the villas were tiny. Comparing to the Ritz, Banyan Tree was a place of paradise!
Personally, I would recommend this hotel to the families who are looking for a private and quiet vacation.:)

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank NZ_tourist1
There are newer reviews for Banyan Tree Sanya

Reviewed 5 August 2012

The management level of this hotel is impossibly low! Only few poeple from all the stuff members can speak English, the others will just ignore your questions or smile back with no actions. Most of the employees have no idea what they doing here and wonder around the hotel doing no work.
At the beach there is no one who will offer you towels,( like any other 5* hotel will do) you should go search for them yourself. If u want to do some water sport there also no one who will be at the counter to help you. At the bar stuff members are really ignorant and speak no English so if u want any drinks, pool water is clean enough to have a sip.
How about food and dinner management? Well in overal it's not bad, however when they decided to make one even at the beach, called 'BBQ' evening it was a total disaster!! Everything was so unorgonised and terrible! 1) they opened a buffet 40mib later then expected. 2) the food was cold. 3) waiters were wondering around having no idea who to surve. 4) manager himself was pleasing one one Chinese group table ignoring everyone else. 5) uproximate time for them to surve your order was 1h (if you were lucky you got what you ordered, but most of the time you was left out with not your food)
Honestly saying, this sort of service is inepropriately low and terrible for 5* hotel such as banyan tree! Hollidays can't be enjoyable with this disaster management!
Anastasia K.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank AnastasiaK21
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Despite of the "bad" reviews, I'm very happy with my first stay which is 1 year ago and I think Banyan tree really stepped up and made my second stay even more enjoyable!

Pros
Huge and comfortable room
love the privacy
all staff are friendly with Smiley face( which is uncommon in China for the servicing staff)
staff are very attentive and pro-active
sunset ritual- free drinks and snack at the beach bar from 6-7pm and the sunset is breathtaking
variety of nice ice teas(lychee, chrysanthemum, cranberry, mint) at beach bar, love the lychee and cranberry one
tried all restaurants and I love the food. Check out the Coriander for home-made noodle, it's inexpensive and yummy which is great place to visit before going to airport(Int'l Airport got no food, there's 1 KFC and they said all food sold out , only sells drinks)
Free DVD rental
Free Wifi

Cons (got nothing to complain)

Room Tip: choose a villa which is closer to reception so you don't need to rely on the buggy
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank HongKongReese
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Villa is great with a private pool that is just enough for some fun swimming. The room is spacious, not the largest I have been, probably the same size as one I had stayed in MGM, Sanya. Room facilities are very good but slightly inferior to MGM's which I think is modern, well thought of and luxurious. Example, analog alarm clock vs I-Home radio/alarm that can charge an i-phone. Double layer mattress is soft which some may not like but I am fine.

Public pool is like a lazy river without the current but with free floating beds and floaties provided, it did gave us some fun. Private beach is ok for walk but not for swimming though. I appreciate the free bicycle rental for the first hour which is good enough for a ride to the nearby jetty to take some breathtaking photos of the scenery overlooking LuiHuitou.

The one reason that would prevent me from coming back is the catering. The Thai dinner I had is well below par in terms of Banyan Tree's standard. It's also of poor price/quality. I don't mind paying more money for better quality though which i find the all the restaurants at MGM have far superior quality . I even took a $60 taxi to go back to Pin Ju for dineer during my stay at BT!!
The curry crab charges $220 which is a rip-off with 2 crabs of shell size of my middle finger. Chicken satay is as tough as rubber and I found it amazing that they have the guts to serve it on the table! Fried rice, again is so-so , MGM's is one of the best I had and portion is two times bigger at similar price! Breakfast is good but right away pales when compare with MGM's in terms of quality and variety.

I like Banyan Tree I lot, this is my third one I tried, but the one at Hangzhou has simply much better catering and I actually dine out at Bai Yun three times during the 3 nites I stayed there!!

Only if they can improve the food quality significant would I consider recommending it. It's a shame as the rest of the facilities of the hotel is really great. I still prefer the one in HZ ultimately though.

Room Tip: Thai restaurant is overpriced with poor quality, avoid! But the rest is not that great either...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank EricLo
A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, California, USA
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I read some of the "bad" reviews of previous hotel guests. Either Banyan Tree Sanya really stepped up and improved or the previous reviewers are just way too picky.

First of all, the staff are very friendly and responsive. They went out their way to make my stay comfortable.

Secondly, I like the attention to details...they sent me birthday cake to my villa on my birthday (free), they have sundown ceremony every day where all the guests can enjoy free drinks and snacks, they gave us a photo of our villa with the durations of stay information on the photo as souvenirs.

Lastly, food was good. We like the Thai food there. The prices are not cheap but you are in a high-end resort.

In short we enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights before heading to experience another hotel, but enjoyed this hotel. The beach front was great with no other people around. Although the beach is not as nice as Bali or Phuket, the isolation from everything was great! the beach bar served amazing cranberry ice tea!

The room was big, and the bathroom was HUGE! the private pool was fun but dirty. Also the main pool was dirty which they should really work on. However i felt that the resort was soo empty when i went, and saw only 3-4 couple during the whole time.

I loved the BED! also having a separate villa in your villa seems like a waste of space & energy but the service and the people really made it felt like a vacation i needed. English level is not great, but good enough to get you want to need. Just hoped that the western food would improve. Chinese food room service was great!

Recommended! Hope they just clean the pool more often when i come back soon.

Room Tip: watchout! at night a frog came into my room!! took 1 hour to get it out!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel just now over the Chinese May holiday. Since we live in Shanghai, we gave it a go considering the flight (under 3 hours) was much easier than getting to Thailand etc. I'm trying hard to come up with a review that isn't totally biased, but its difficult!

Positives
- The Hotel grounds itself are beautiful and very well laid out. There are beautiful ponds, vegetation etc.
- The Villa was also very beautiful and private, which is what we were looking for. The bed is huge and very comfortable, although the bathroom a bit standard Chinese 5 star hotel-ish. It was nice for us to have an outdoor space that was private.
- We thought the spa was wonderful, and enjoyed our massage. The spa service was wonderful and friendly.
- The in-villa bbq was a very nice experience, and I highly recommend it.

Negatives
- There was construction going on at the property next door, and magically, we were put in the room closest to it! No warning or mention of it by the staff to us when we checked in. When we complained, the answer was "Its a government company, we can't do anything about it."
- The staff overall seemed nice, but not really competent, apart from the spa staff, and the staff who take you around on golf carts.
- The pool in our villa didn't appear to have been cleaned at all during our stay, with leaves and dead bugs everywhere.
- Breakfast is hectic and the quality mediocre, at RMB 150 a head. How is it that a famous resort like Banyan Tree serves up a typical business China hotel breakfast in a restaurant with no embiance? Any Shangri-la is way better at a cost of around 200 per head! Lots of loud people, and few places to sit. The service was very slow, and they didn't seem to have much idea what was going on, or even how to make a Latte.
- Apart from the in-villa bbq, the room service food quality was average (couple of the Thai dishes were ok), and SO overpriced. Recall the salad being tiny and over 100RMB. Also asked for a tropical fruit platter, which the room service operator confirmed to me in detail they could do, only for none of that selection to show up! They did to their credit come back later and change it.
It goes on.....
- The outdoor furniture was partly broken (one of the sun chairs) and the day bed was dirty. The day bed is such a nice idea, but in 33-34C weather - no ceiling fan? Would have been such a nice idea.
- The front desk told us we had a 5pm check-out (late check out) when we checked in, and then told us on the day that they would transfer us to another room instead. They said they tried to call the day before, but when you're out at the pool you don't hear the phone! Since its an important matter, sending someone in a golf cart to tell us would have helped. I got my way in the end, but why do you want to deal with things like this on a holiday at such an up-market hotel?
- The beach is average, and was deserted. Nothing else to say. And the view also ruined by apartment buildings being built in the same bay, and construction cranes etc... The concrete pier running out from the beach is ugly and ruins view looking out onto the bay.
- The tennis courts are good standard, but they only had very used tennis balls... After we played on our first day and complained about the old tennis balls, the next time we played, we noticed there were no new balls, just fewer of the old ones! Although we didn't use the gym (and apparently no one else either!), it looked to be pretty decent.
- My favourite. At our request, we were recommended by concierge to go to a local seafood restaurant close to the hotel. Mid way through dinner, we realized the restaurant was infested with rats. No kidding. Once we caught on, we saw them running around just feet away from us. This prompted our departure.

Obviously my comments mostly sound very negative, however they are an accurate portrayal of our experience. Despite the high price tag, I would say that I expected just about all of this as I knew I was going to a "resort" in China. I was however surprised that the food (apart from the in-villa bbq) was so average. Overall, I think I'm better off to pay up for the flights, take a bit more time, and just go down to Thailand. Just don't think its worth it to pay for this kind of experience in China. Overall the hotel is very expensive. Go if you simply want to stay on the hotel grounds and mostly in your villa, then you won't have a chance to notice some of the things I mentioned! I hope the hotel doesn't write a response to my posting. I noticed the apologies previously when I made my booking, however I might have been naive in hoping the hotel would have made improvements by the time I stayed. I was surprised how my experience was so similar to older postings on this site. Not good from Banyan Tree's managament's perspective, who have apologized and claimed they were making improvements - which don't appear to have happened (Make the improvements so comments like this stop happening!). It seems that this hotel is being catered to mainland Chinese travellers, so if you are coming from HK or Singapore etc, there are MUCH better destinations for you guys. Hope my posting is helpful to future travellers.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple