“Nice hotel”

Ranked #51 of 1,328 Hotels in Sanya
Taipei, Taiwan
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My company booked a three-day meeting in this hotel, from C/P value point of view it was quite reasonable price for the room, it was very comfortable when I stayed there also as well as food in their resturants, even with many water pools aroung the rooms still rare to find any insects fly into the rooms, there are two things I must complain that are the water from shower is hardly to control the temperature and also very expensive for the cold drinks and sort of staffs if you buy from the shop inside villa. check-out time it took almost 30 mins to solve even very less guests at the counter, but all in all was above the standard level of hotel in China.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Solo
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Went there for a weekend with children and grandparents. We stayed at one of the stand alone villas with our own pool. The rooms felt dated and unclean. The shower lacked hooks for hanging towels. Guests were mostly local Chinese and a few Russians. I think the restaurant menu could use an upgrade considering "branded" hotels with more exciting dining options sprouting up nearby.

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank Friedricebucket
Shanghai
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Nice idea to make villas with own pools.
however, this is a chinese hotel. so, stay away.
rooms have super hard beds.
breakfast is chinese. I took an apple because I headed to a round of golf. wow, they stopped me and demanded it back!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
12 Thank RolandShanghai
Shanghai
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Review:
I am from the UK, I went to this resort as I was led to believe that it was the best in Sanya. I travelled with 7 others, myself, my Chinese girlfriend who had the hard job of organising everything for our group of 'laowai' foreigners, 7 in total, all from the UK.
So a group of 8: 4 adults and 4 children/teenagers. We rented an entire 4 bedroom private villa.

The resort itself was beautiful, the villas were idyllic with their own private rooms, lounge, kitchen and pool with lounge area.
Let me say this again… it was a great layout and great place.

Now for the breakdown…
When we arrived, all of us with many thousands of £ and RMB in accounts, were told they accept no western/foreign cards (would have been good to know that before going!!) only the chinese domestic accounts…crazy! and it is so close to HK!
Instead we had to hand over all the cash and money we could get out of our domestic accounts here in China and pay for the villa up-front at the beginning! The cash machine at the resort only allows withdrawal of cash from foreign accounts of a maximum of 1000rmb per time with an 8% charge!… any idea how long this takes to withdraw 20,000 rmb… 2 of our cards got blocked by our banks because of this 'suspicious' activity!

The customer service and attitude was the worst I have had in China and Asia… I wish I had booked us to go to Thailand, at least there the people are nice, friendly and make you feel wanted. Not so here at the Yalong Villas… I have to say that it is the first time I have experienced what I would describe as racism in China… I was left without a doubt the feeling that being a foreign English person (and not Chinese or maybe Russian who seemed to get service?) was not welcome.

At breakfast, there were kids dipping their hands in the bowls of cereal you serve yourself from, and eating it while they stood there, yet nobody says a thing. We walked out eating an apple as we finished breakfast and were stopped as we left and told we cannot take the apple out and they demanded we leave it behind! My business partners wife was so disgusted with their attitude she handed over the half eaten apple and also spat out and gave then the bite of apple she had just taken! Unbelievable!
2 kids were ill one morning and the other 2 kids (4 in total) stayed at the villa with their friends… we asked to take some food back for them…. again… no! …you are not allowed! (even though it is paid for….. you cannot even take some rolls or fruit back even when asking and trying to hand over the unused breakfast tickets!!)
In the meantime I watched Chinese walk out eating rolls, fruit and carrying stuff! Nobody stopped them… they didn't ask of course like polite westerners do… they just took it and left!
Chinese welcome, Westerners not!

The Villa came with no knives/forks/chopsticks or plates… apparently poi have to 'rent' those at 200kwai a day… not even a knife to cut some fruit with!. Seating in the dining room and lounge for only 6 people… despite there being 8 of us!

Calling for room service was a joke, we tried to use the menus provided in our rooms during our 5 day stay there three times, the first two occasions we were told they would take our order then we were simply left waiting, nothing happened, nobody took our order! in the end we twice had to walk from our villa to reception and complain before we could get restaurant food delivered. The food was luke warm and in all honesty, some of the worse quality food I have had in China. That said, when we walked around the corner to the nearby local complex, the service and food quality there was also of the lowest quality.

We complained about all the above, but when we talked to them, the women in the food hall could not/would not talk or understand English, my chinese fiancee had to deal with everything!….and yet!…having had to pay all the bills up-front, in advance, leaving us with very little cash, when some room service food was delivered to our villa… the same women stopped the food from being carried in (in the evening) until we paid a 500 kwai mini-bar bill! (500 kwai! what a joke… we spend more than that on one round of drinks each!!!) and guess what…. she spoke and understood English then!!
Once the mini-bar bill was paid the food was then allowed to be delivered! (all this was half-way through our 5 day stay!)
The first two days, the food, plates and glasses delivered by room service were washed, cleaned or taken away. for the remaining 3 days, stuff stayed where it was left in the kitchen!…. A tile came loose from the roof, plunged 2 stories and just missed my son in the pool where it broke, resting on the bottom… the resort staff were not bothered or concerned!

I am not complaining just for the sake of it… this is the first time I have ever written a review but I intend to put this up wherever I can for you to read!… Yalong Villas did not give a damn about the quality of our visit. The prices inside were typical of 4 and 5 star hotels but the quality and service was not. They also charged 30% service charge on everything…. which considering the lack of service was robbery!
The villa and place was lovely… the service and reception we received was the worst I have experienced in Asia and I have been living here for over 2and a half years now!

They did not accept any form of payment card other than the internal chinese ones… they cleaned us out of cash that we could and would have been spending there and then treated us like unwanted visitors!
Shame on them… a lasting impression that means I will never recommend Sanya…
Give this a miss and go to Thailand…. good cheap food, excellent service and quality and they actually WANT you there…
These people need to learn or shut up business!
Brent (from the UK, living in Shanghai)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
24 Thank macman11
UK
Reviewed 7 April 2010

For the avoidance of doubt, the Chinese name of this hotel is Number 5 Yalong Bay. Hotel is actually a collection of 'villas', each with own private pool. Maybe 3, 4 or 5 rooms to each villa, plus pool, kitchen, lounge and upstairs 'chill out' room without walls to catch breeze in the evening. Rooms are generous size, we had 3-room villa, master bedroom very large, other 2 rooms large. Hardware is very good and well proportioned. Villa pool also very large, I guess 15m long by 3m wide. Grounds well kept, nice gardens, but no central freeform pool. We booked all 3 rooms in villa, not sure what would happen if you only book 2, I get the feeling they would rent out the other room to a stranger because each room is stand alone.

OK, now for the bad parts. To me, it felt like someone had come in, made a good design, but then the management lacked attention to detail and service. Just a lot of small things, like a light in the swimming pool hanging off exposing a sharp bracket, no cushions for the sun loungers, only 2 sun loungers for 3 rooms, no umbrella, no stove, no cutlery (supposed to be self catering). Lacked warm touches. I could not find out who the management company were supposed to be. Interesting that there were quite a few military air force cars parked around inside compound, not sure if this gives any clues or not as to who owns this place.... And the beds - rock hard, creaking, and in master bedroom with elevated wooden ends so if you are over 5 feet 10 you will be banging your feet onto the wooden bed end all night. Hotel shop is an utter rip off, e.g. charges Rmb398 for inflatable bed you can buy for Rmb180 in Crowne Plaza next door and Rmb40 back in a big city in China. On the West side where we are, we backed onto the main road along Yalong bay, which has a regular procession of construction trucks, coaches, kerb crawling taxis, we were about 50metres from road so not totally disturbing but a lot of honking of horns going on which was annoying.

Then there are the general Sanya problems, like nothing to do outside main hotels, no newspapers or books, no local feeling. I guess the latter is the strange thing, Sanya has a lot of ethnic tribes living in mountains around it but these people are ignored, all the staff are shipped in from north China and the cultural theme of the hotel seems to be south east asia. Why are the local ethnic groups excluded, it would be really interesting to learn more about them. I was going to hire a car to get to the mountains but the rentals place said that because there are so many speeding cameras then you have to leave a deposit of Rmb5,000 until 1 month after leaving the island in case you got any tickets...and without a car you are trapped, on Yalong bay there are absolutely no public amenities, no shops, no private bars or restaurants, no interesting little cafes, just a row of big hotel resorts with inauthentic experiences. There is absolutely no nightlife for foreigners, unless you go to the awful Dadonghai to hear some Filippino bands that you can hear in any hotel lobby anywhere in Asia. There is no 'cool', it is a conference centre with gangs of businessmen attending meetings. But there is danger - Sanya has a bad reputation for dangerous watersports, etc and I know 2 people who have died here on jetski crashes and a diving accident. Not a place to learn to dive or do anything adventurous.

So, its a nice place for a few days if you are an expat in China, good for families and a break from the cold, it also seems to be nice if you are Russian (lots around, by far the largest contingent of foreigners), but I don't think I would come here from outside China, lots of other more interesting places with good beaches.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family