“Good stay but a few small gripes”

InterContinental Sanya Resort
Ranked #23 of 1,350 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed 8 May 2011

We had booked the Hilton for our stay in Sanya but were informed 2 weeks before that non- chinese were not allowed to stay in the area due to a conference.
As we were travelling with infants we decided to pay (the overpriced) hotel transfer, the driver was crazy! I thought he would be a more sound bet than a taxi driver but no, he was just as bad.
Anyway, check in was smooth, but after being told to enjoy our stay...that was it, no your room is on X floor, the lifts are over there etc. We had to find an employee and ask where we had to go.
Rooms were very spacious and had a nice view of the sea. There are lovely day beds on the balcony to relax on rather than basic table and chairs.
Nice flatscreen tv ad bose stereo, great bathroom with seperate shower and bath.
Food in all the restaurants was lovely, we liked the Asian village and the main restaurant best. Had a drink in the beer hall place but not food (had BOGOF offer on draught beer)
Now the issues:
- Room service seemed to be pot luck, we ordered breakfast every day and often the same thing from the menu but it was never once the same (different portion size, content)
- Housekeeping not very thorough, seemed to lightly mop the floor rather than clean it.
- bathroom let down by the very dirty/stained anti-slip mat in the bath
-there is construction work almost next door (not too much noise, but noise never the less)
- We asked reception if there was a shop close by (we needed baby supplies) we were told no, only at the shopping centre a few miles away. In fact at the back of the hotel is a supermarket.....
- Lastly and my biggest gripe is the price of the soft drinks. They were unbelievably expensive, in fact 10x more than in the supermarket at the back of the hotel, 10x now come on that's really off.

The resort was very quiet during our stay so most days we had the pool to ourselves and restaurants too.

I would stay here again but I am unlikey to return to Sanya.
They really need to lower the drinks prices though!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank caplet

Reviewed 23 April 2011

This hotel is unbelievable. We stayed there with 2 small children for 10days and everything was just perfect. The resort is one of the best I have tried anywhere in the world and certainly the best we have experienced in China. The service and the facilities felt like they were tailor made for us. There are so many beautiful swimming pools to choose from. Great restaurants, our favorite was the Asian Village as we love Thai style food. One night the Chef there cooked us a superb whole fish with some shrimp and scallops with Thai flavors. The resort area is huge, seems there are enough space for all kinds of travelers. The kids club was great as was the kid’s pool. Our 2 small children were given so much attention with our 3yr old receiving a complimentary set of beach play toys on arrival. Many other young families staying there too. The staff are all very friendly and speak pretty good english. In particular we must mention Jack and Joanne from the Club Lounge who couldn't do enough for us. Also Ericson in Concierge was very helpful.
Overall a holiday we will never forget in a superb resort. Thank you Intercontinental Sanya the staff made us feel like home.

Room Tip: get mosquito coils for the outdoor cabana in ur rm
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 January 2011

This is my fourth trip to Sanya, and each time I stayed at different hotels just to see how amazing these new hotels are coming up these days. This trip I had chosen the InterContinental, just a night before be logging onto the website.

The checkin was smooth as my flight arrived early into Sanya around 11am. Reception staff was accommodating to our early checkin. Unfortunately the No Smoking request entered at the website was not confirmed and we were assigned a smoking rm. We dont really mind as the room smells free of smoke. Room was nice in general but lack the resort feel. Its more of a trendy looking building. The balcony was great, but there was a lot of cigrette butts thrown at the plants by previous occupants. A nightmare for housekeeping cleaning, i think. Amenities in the room was great and abundance. Very nice bathtub indeed.

I tried almost every food outlets including in room dinng except the Chinese restaurant which seem to be quite a distant away. In general, the good is not as tasty as i had come to expect. Of course the quality was there, but the club sandwich, the laksa, the sweet and sour fish at the Asian Kitchen with little or no sauce etc. The breakfast selection was also very limited as compared to other hotel chains. I am sure there are rooms for improvement.

I noticed one scenario at this hotel is that the entire property and nearby neighbourhood is being developed together by the same developer or owner. Hence, the residents nearby simply walks into the hotel and share the beaches and beach bar seats together. So pls do not be mistaken that these are hotel gsts, they are residents nearby who had purchased the apartments. So, not too ideal a place for some privacy and quiet moments.

There seems to have several pools including a heated one but the size are so boring and small. The designer should study what other hotel chain pools are capable of these days considering this is a pretty new hotel. Finally, there is no water massage areas in the pools which many other hotel has installed them into the pool to create fun. There is a pool with artificial sand but we were told by the same its only meant for the Club members. So we have no luck to enjoy. Overall an acceptable area, but I will not choose to return to this same property. I still prefer the Ritz Carlton and the Mandarin Oriental there.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2011

Stayed there for 10 days with my partner and I was impressed by the friendly staff, the cleanliness of the room and the facilities overall. The beach gorgeous and the views of the ocean from the room, incredible.

The room was spacious and modern, with the only fault I could find being the plug sockets on the walls not installed properly - they came out when I unplugged my phone charger. Only thing that could have made my room on the 9th floor better would be a jacuzzi and if it was closer to the lift.

The location is peaceful and secluded but if you want to go out and about you need access to a car preferably or just spend a lot on taxi's - however I would recommend the taxi option as I personally would not feel comfortable driving in China (where all the drivers seem to be super aggressive)

I would definitely go there again if I go back to Sanya.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jarlawuk
Reviewed 5 January 2011

I will start with the rooms, let’s face it if you get a bad room it’s hard to overcome that!
Room we loved great finish with timber floors, attention to detail is great. The outdoor extension to every room is great, gives you an outdoor lounge room, with the perfect weather, what a place to relax in the sun.

The service from every single member of staff was just great, big smiles on their faces all the time and more then willing to help, did visit one of the other hotels in Sanya, you could tell the difference, what ever they do with their staff hope they keep it up, everybody has an English name, nice little rest from the pressures of the Chinese language.

Food was also very good, only bad thing I have to say is watch out for the cocktails served in plastic, you can get around that!

We are extensive travelers, this is one of the better hotels I have ever stayed in, great place to get away from the cold (Shanghai, my god it is cold) and get some sun, maybe play some tennis, loads of options for golf.

We will be back for sure!

Sorry forgot the Spa, also great!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2011

This hotel suffers from a very typical problem that plagues many Chinese hotels/resorts - the poor quality of service. The courtesy and service that is shown is very perfunctory and mechanical, and you don't really sense the genuine warmth and care of the staff. All you are left with feeling is that they are after your money!! You complain and they react (belatedly), but no one really anticipates your needs. It is a pity, because it is a beautiful property. As long as you manage your expectations, and don't expect anything like what you are used to with, say, 5 star Thai hospitality, then you are fine. Also, don't waste your money on a "villa" (which I did). It is really more like a pavillion you find elsewhere with a small pool, but otherwise doesn't offer a lot of privacy or exclusive feel. I go so far to say the "villa" label is in fact quite misleading. Nothing like the villas in the Ritz.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Pampered05
Reviewed 1 January 2011

Just got back from a 5 day vacation with my family, which was simply great. This brand new resort is beautiful and comes with all the high-end comfort and styleYou can expect from Intercontinental. Yet some parts of it, like the last restaurant (Chinese) are still under construction.
As we struggled in making a choice between the different 5 star resorts in that part of the island for this first trip to Sanya, we had a look at the other resorts during our stay.

Our remarks below:

Strengths of the IC:
- Professional and very friendly staff at all levels: The General managers himself enjoys strolling around and enquire of his customers' satisfaction and, as we could experience, remedy on the spot any expressed concern. As often in China, 100% of the staff is not fluent in English (although all managers are) but they will go the extra mile to make sure You get what You need.

- Decoration and comfort of the buildings and rooms is the nicest we got to see. Layout is also better that the other 5 stars in the area, spread over a very wide beach as opposed to the more compressed beach strip sections of the Hilton, Sheraton, etc.. in Yalong Bay.

- Eco-Friendly design and construction (green roofs, ceiling fans in addition to A/C, etc...).

- Nice Kids Club, plus un number of the (many) swimming pools designed with beaches, and a water slide (although not heated). Daily kids actvities programme offered (actually there is one for adults as well, but we did not join).

- The beach bar: The cosiest of the all-day bevs/foods place that I could see in all resorts.

Opportunities for improvement for the IC:
- Water Sports: Not yet as well equipped in waterspors facilities/club as other nearby high end resorts in Yalong Bay. I had to go downtown to find a scuba diving club.

- Heated Pool: Like the other resorts actually, just one heated pool that most people use in Winter, and it is the smallest. It would be nice to extend the water heating to at least one more of the many other pools. Our kids would use the non-heated pools (You cannot stop them if there is a water slide...), but at this time of year a bit too cold for my taste.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family