“It's a 5 Stars Hotel in Sanya, but 3 Stars Hotel in Asia”

InterContinental Sanya Resort
Ranked #21 of 1,330 Hotels in Sanya
Hong Kong, China
“It's a 5 Stars Hotel in Sanya, but 3 Stars Hotel in Asia”
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Room:
We stayed in Club Intercontinental Suite. The room is facing nice ocean view. The balcony and bathroom are nice, clean and spacious as well. Would recommend to stay in Club Level because the guests could use the club pool, have free breakfast buffet, cocktail hour and free internet access.

Food:
Asian Village - We have ordered Salad, Crispy Spring Roll and Phat Thai. Both the view and the food were nice.
Lounge at Club Intercontinental - Buffet Breakfast was good. They had Chinese and Western style. I liked the hash brown. The fruit juice and fruits were also very fresh.
Mediterranean - The Dinner Buffet was TERRIBLE. It is the worst buffet I have ever eaten in a 5-star hotel....oh no, should be in my life. The pasta was tasteless but also tasted like rubber + flour. The raw food, especially the salmon fish, turned bad due to the hot weather!? The curry pork and eggplant, I could only find the eggplant skin. I went to the dessert fridge, all the dessert are melted. I tried to touch the fridge, it was never cold....The buffet costs almost 500 RMB per person... speechless

Service:
Reception - The receptionists were very friendly and willing to explain the hotel in details :)
Spa - We went into the spa reception, we couldnt find anyone in the beginning, then we saw a back door of a staff room... The staff were chitchatting, painting and polishing their nails. I was a bit shocked but they were very friendly and willing to describe the treatment in details.
Hotel Taxi - We booked a taxi from the hotel. The driver was friendly and was driving safely and slowly. We tried to tell him we would be taking an international airline; but then he dropped us in the domestic airline and we needed to walk all the way back to the international terminal.

Misc:
Beach - The beach was nice in the morning (high tide) but ugly in the afternoon (low tide). Recommend to take photos in the morning.
Pool - I think they have 4 different pools. They are all pretty nice. Would recommend the club pool :)

Guess, it's a 5 Stars Hotel in Sanya ...but 3 Stars Hotel in Asia.. a bit below standard than other Intercontinental hotels.

4 Thank betma12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong
Reviewed 3 July 2011

My husband & I spent 3 nights in the Intercontinental last week. The property was huge and well maintained. Staff were very freindly, but mind you if you couldn't speak a bit of basic Mandarin, you'll be stuck as not everyone could speak and understand much English. We paid a little extra for an upgrade to the Club rooms, having in mind just to use the internet for free and some fruit juices during the day to cool off. To our surprise, the amount of food they served during cocktail was good enough for a dinner! There were fried prawns, quiche, vol-au-vonts, beef satay, sashimi, smoked salmon, prawn noodles, deserts etc. I loved the cream brulee. The quality was fantastic comparing with some other hotel club floors we've been to in the last few years. There's also unlimited supply of Moet Chadon on top of various Red and White wine.

Rooms are well appointed with an average of 60-80 sqm with everything you need including 2 pairs of flip flops! Bathroom was nice and spacious. The only down side was the bed, which was relatively soft (as we both like hard ones). There were a few pools and the best we enjoyed was the lap pool which we could some serious swimming. Very quiet and relaxing. The kids pool was also lovely. The gym was ok and there's hardly anyone inside. The breakfast buffet needs improvement. Lots of different kind of freshly squeezed juices, but there lacks variety of food. That said, the waffle was good. Spa is expensive. We had a one-hour spa treatment as part of the room package. It was just ok.

Lastly, the beach was clean with white sands, but lots of small stones and therefore not recommended for swimming.

Overall we are really happy with our stay, though it's quite expensive as compared with places of similar quality in Phuket.

Room Tip: get the premium room for seaview and nice breeze
1 Thank Summer_Traveller_hk
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 25 June 2011

My first ever Sanya trip, I was told many times, stay inside the resort and no need to go elsewhere. My theme of this trip, relax, room with seaview, so pool suite was not that nessesary.
I was struggling the choices with budget from $1500 to $2500 per night, first to deal with location. Luhuitou / DaDonghai/ Yalong bay/ Haitang Bay
because my return flight is in the morning, Luhuitou / Dadonghai is better choice.
Done some researches between these 2 area, Intercontinental was choice.
and booked the seaview room at the main building.
i arrived the hotel a little earlier, I was told my room is not ready and they offered me a free "upgrade" to watergarden room ( the staff was cheeky enough and said this room is charging high price, actually I know between my booking and they alternative , the price is about the same ) Why I was hesitating, because I want my room , with seaview, without any block(watregarden room stated in website said, some room is limited seaview vs my supposed 180 degree view). The staff offered me to take a look first and decide, and finally arranged the third room in WATERGARDEN ROOM area.

Transited on Golf kart and explained by the driver about the facilites about the resort, I knew I gonna love this resort. I just love their modern design, and no other resort nearby and those unwanted LED billboard display.

Inside my room (on upper deck) , it's seperated by 2 section, living/bedroom mix and a balcony connected by a bridge. Modern design, the thing i love most, the bathroom , with shower and bathtub with direct sunlight( with absolute privacy, no worry!!) the sound system is connected, Had a great bath with some relax music.

The Pool, the main attraction of this resort, mainly one big pool, big enough, the best thing to do under the sun to chill. and some 2 other seperate small pools.
Litlle to mention, I thought there was a little aquarium, indeed, its a DIVING TANK, with fish inside ( i didnt try though). The beach, let's forget it, because of the water quality and lots rock on the bottom, its not attractive when low tide.

Restaurant, Asian village and Mediterranean, both are up to above standard not overly expensive. Wanted to try Sea Pavilion, great design, located as if it's middle of the sea.
Checked the meun I guess it's a place for seafood but absolutly overpriced, coz I'm living in HK and with great variety of seafood, so I didn't want be ripped, so I passed.
The daily breakfast in Mediterranean is way over my expecatation, freshly brew coffee and fruit juice, and choices from east to west. Dinner in Mediterranean, i chose a-la-carte, instead of buffet (around $500 all-in), can be very satisfied with budget of $200 each person.

Through out my stay of 4 days 3 nights, I totally forget I'm in China ( not discriminated this country, just about the travel experience only, like typical rude/ unmanner guest), so happen did chit chat with a Netherland couple, we all agree at this point.

The staff are all friendly and helpful, thanks for giving me such great experience.
And hope to keep this resort in polished.

Little suggestion to the resort mgt, possible to install a ceiling fan in the balcony, coz the humind weather in june was hard to stay and it would be a waste.
second, possible to relocate those dock in the ocean, not sure their purpose for, fishing or gas station ??? I hope to have a 100 % beauitful sea view.

tips, there's a grocery store behind the resort and resort does offer free golf kart ride to.
saw someone mention about taxi, another tip, ask those private car(taxi) for phone number , it would be cheaper than booking thru the resort, (this is applicable for whole sanya)

one complaint would like to file, my toilet bowl was not cleaned enough, some toilet paper left and blood stained, photo taken and not gonna share because my love to this resort and i didn't bother to file complaint to ruin my stay.

Room Tip: i booked it thru chinese travel site,
3 Thank erikuryo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I was there for 3 nights and had a absolutely great expierence at this hotel. The check in was fine, we were upgraded to a bigger room with very small ocean view when I paid for ocean view, the front desk then quickly found another room at 11th floor so I was able to get my ocean view room! The breakfast was great with lots of choices, the bar was good too. The pool was awesome because most of the time it was just me and my fiancé and we almost literally fell asleep by the ocean when the day was breezy.
Only downside about this place is getting a taxi, the hotel will call their own taxi to take you places but it will cost you more of course. Other than that, this is probably the best hotel I've stayed in!!! Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank yhuang7
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 9 June 2011

We came to Sanya for a few days and stayed at the Intercon. The hardware was very good, from the point of check in it was very efficient, the room with the ocean view was terrific! We used all outlets and the Chinese was a very good experience, breakfast needs improvement. However room service was as well very good even we had a small issue but the attend was very helpful and resolved the problem. The pool area was nice, the kids were happy. Down turn was the recommendation to eat at Sand Restaurant at the Ritz, the food is a disaster and the Chef as well do not want to met again. Will go back to the Intercon.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Hong Kong
Reviewed 6 June 2011

This is a very beautifully designed resort with fantastic swimming pools and wonderful interiors. The beds were comfortable and the bathrooms well appointed. We stayed in a deluxe two bed sea view room and were lucky enough to be upgraded to the Intercontinental Club which was worth it's weight in gold as it offered a separate check in, lounge with complimentary coffee and soft drinks all day, private breakfast, a high tea between 3 and 5 and cocktails and canapes between 5 and 7. It was a very pleasant and relaxing refuge from the mid day heat.
We went to the Asian kitchen restaurant which was good and the Mediteranneo restaurant which was wonderful for buffet breakfast, but poor in the evening especially for a la carte.
I have heard that the standard of staff training throughout all hotels Sanya is quite poor, but it seemed that the Intercontinental had made a big effort to address this. Sure we did have a few problems as non Mandarin speakers, but nothing that could not be overcome. The staff at the Club lounge, especially Joffee were terrific. We were travelling with our 6 year old daughter and the staff were very child friendly.
We are both designers and really loved the design of the place, the Chinese restaurant, although we did not eat there was particularly beautiful- if you are an architect and you want to go to Sanya- this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Club- its worth it!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2011

We had booked the Hilton for our stay in Sanya but were informed 2 weeks before that non- chinese were not allowed to stay in the area due to a conference.
As we were travelling with infants we decided to pay (the overpriced) hotel transfer, the driver was crazy! I thought he would be a more sound bet than a taxi driver but no, he was just as bad.
Anyway, check in was smooth, but after being told to enjoy our stay...that was it, no your room is on X floor, the lifts are over there etc. We had to find an employee and ask where we had to go.
Rooms were very spacious and had a nice view of the sea. There are lovely day beds on the balcony to relax on rather than basic table and chairs.
Nice flatscreen tv ad bose stereo, great bathroom with seperate shower and bath.
Food in all the restaurants was lovely, we liked the Asian village and the main restaurant best. Had a drink in the beer hall place but not food (had BOGOF offer on draught beer)
Now the issues:
- Room service seemed to be pot luck, we ordered breakfast every day and often the same thing from the menu but it was never once the same (different portion size, content)
- Housekeeping not very thorough, seemed to lightly mop the floor rather than clean it.
- bathroom let down by the very dirty/stained anti-slip mat in the bath
-there is construction work almost next door (not too much noise, but noise never the less)
- We asked reception if there was a shop close by (we needed baby supplies) we were told no, only at the shopping centre a few miles away. In fact at the back of the hotel is a supermarket.....
- Lastly and my biggest gripe is the price of the soft drinks. They were unbelievably expensive, in fact 10x more than in the supermarket at the back of the hotel, 10x now come on that's really off.

The resort was very quiet during our stay so most days we had the pool to ourselves and restaurants too.

I would stay here again but I am unlikey to return to Sanya.
They really need to lower the drinks prices though!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family