“Great staff, Excellent service”

InterContinental Sanya Resort
Ranked #21 of 1,330 Hotels in Sanya
US
“Great staff, Excellent service”
Reviewed 18 October 2012

This is a very quiet hotel with an excellent view and a very clean beach. There are no restaurants around so need to take a taxi to the city for food. Taxis are hard to find also but the hotel has private cars to go to certain locations.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OverlyTraveled
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Dear OverlyTraveled
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit as well as the excellent views , the serenity and our clean beach. Fortunately we are one of the best located resorts in Sanya to travel downtown and access the local restuarants and bars in Dadonghai. Our Concierge team will be happy to recommend some of the local flavors for you. We welcome you back next time you visit sunny Sanya. Thanks again Geoffrey Ryan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 October 2012 via mobile

What a great hotel in Sanya. Luxurious rooms with day beds on the balcony. Sumptuous rooms with loads of space and large bathrooms.
Many excellent pools with great restaurants and a wonderful beach bar. Bikes to ride around, a clean sandy beach that is uncrowded and staff that are very friendly and helpful. I'd go back and recommend to everyone. A definite pleasant surprise!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank MichaelG959
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Dear Michael G
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our award winning guest rooms and the unique over-sized bathrooms. It is also great to see that you enjoyed so many of the features of our resort such as the pools, restaurants and our one of a kind beach bar. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments regarding our service to our friendly team. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back to sunny Sanya. Geoffrey Ryan
shanghai
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My husband, baby, and I stayed a weekend here and had a lovely time. It was low season so it was also nice that the area was not crowded and we could have a nice 'break' from living in Shanghai.

The highlight of the hotel is its service. Very friendly, very accommodating. Also to note, the Chinese restaurant is excellent. Although it seems to be known for its seafood, my husband who is vegan thought his dishes were excellent.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank allabouttravel086
Dear allabouttravel086
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. We are all very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit in sunny Sanya. Thank you for your good comments regarding our service we will share them with our team. We are also happy to hear that you enjoyed our over-the-sea Chinese restaurant called The Sea Pavilion. Of course not only our Chinese restaurant but all of our different restaurants offer vegan and gluten free dishes for the diet conscious diner. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Geoffrey Ryan
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I stayed at InterContinental Sanya for 3 nights in July 2012. It was a solo trip to break away for some much needed rest & relaxation. In the past, I've stayed at Le Meridien Shimei Bay (Wanning, East Coast of Hainan), and absolutely loved the remoteness and serenity -- however, I've heard that recently there is new construction around the property where it's not a peaceful stay due to noise from say, 8 am pile driving.

I had reserved for the Club Intercontinental Pool Room, which was an impressive space in itself with a private small plunge pool and reading sofa outside the balcony area. Unfortunately, after returning to the room from dinner and drinks the first night, I had found several issues with the room such as a broken light for the plunge pool, wall outlets separating from the wall, non-working iPhone dock for the Bose sound system, and no bubbles coming from the pool (later to find that this was my mistake as it was a not a Jacuzzi, only a plunge pool, despite the appearance and nozzles) – this all happened at about 2am, where several maintenance men were sent to the room for these repairs. After about 45 minutes of general chaos, the night manager offered to move me into an upgraded 1-Bedroom Villa for the rest of the stay.

This new space totally exceeded my expectations, and turned out to be my peaceful haven. The next day, the General Manager (Geoffrey Ryan) and Club IC Manager (Maren Schultz) sought me to meet to understand what had happened the night before for feedback and improvement opportunities. Allison of their Club Intercontinental check-in counter was also especially friendly and helpful. Their commitment to customer service for that event and the rest of the stay completely exceeded my expectations for (a) China, and (b) a big-name international chain. I am not used to receiving such customized service. They continued to follow-up throughout the stay by apologizing of the conditions the first night (which weren't really that bad after having time to think about it), and sending complimentary wine and chocolates to my room.

The resort itself is good – self-enclosed with several pools (most 1.2 m depth, except for one diving pool) and several restaurants that were reasonably priced. There’s not much immediately outside of the resort, but you could pay a 20 RMB taxi ride (about US$3) if you wanted to see the city area and beach – however, as I wanted peacefulness, I had no interest in this. I think this resort is also very well suited for families with children, as there were kid play rooms and kiddies pools throughout the resort.

Final note is that the Club Intercontinental privileges for complimentary access to their breakfast, afternoon tea, and dinner at the lounge is worth it. It’s a very comfortable and serene place to eat, rest, and read. I notice the service was better from the services in the Club Intercontinental facilities, than from the other facilities of the resort – which doesn’t surprise me that they would place their best staff for the Club Intercontinental area.

Excellent experience, where despite the initial issues, was more than sufficiently resolved by the amendments and customized service.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank bentobox007
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear bentobox007
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. We appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review and this will help us to continually improve our services. As we discussed when you were here there were some technical challenges in your room which was why you were upgraded to our Villa. I am very happy to know that you enjoyed this room and its special features. I will pass on your great comments regarding Maren - our Club manager and also Alison our Guest Relations Officer. They will be very happy to receive it. I am also gald that you enjoyed the service and serenity of our Club Intercontinental. Again I appreciate your feedback and I look forward to your next visit. Thank you Geoffrey Ryan
shanghai
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I think I would have really liked this place had our room not been such a walk to everything. The place is so huge that you need to hitch rides with the golf carts to get from A to B. Plus our room took 3 flights of stairs to get to, so it really was tiring even going out for meals! In addition, ordering was a complete nightmare. Every single time we ordered ( at 3 different places), our order was wrong. The vegetarian risotto on the menu turned out to be rice with seafood and meat when received. I ordered 2 different entrees, one never came, and the other received was totally different. It just always seemed that whatever ingredients listed on the menu, were never quite the same when we got it. Rosemary potatoes arrived with bacon, the 'green' salad that said there was asparagus didn't come with it, yet had red tomatoes. This is speaking in Chinese, English, and pointing at the item on the menu! Anyhow, I do have to note though that the food at the Cantonese restaurant is very good. The other venues served pretty average food and the pizza is way too sweet (although I'm told the locals like it sweet)
Our room was very nice and comfortable though and staff on the whole were incredibly cordial.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear sjhou1
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and the staff friendliness. Your feedback regarding some of the menu items has been forwarded to our Culinary team for their attention and rectification. Thank you also for your positive feedback regarding your visit to our over the sea Chinese Restaurant. We appreciate your comments and will continue to pay attention to our continuous improvement and guest service . With best regards Geoffrey Ryan
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 25 July 2012

After two nights at the St Regis Sanya we moved to the Inter-Continental by the Xiaodonghai Bay. It looks like the whole beach is taken up by a huge property development with many high-rise blocks of residential buildings plus two hotels, one being the Inter-Continental and the being Serenity Coast Resort, a local brand.

I picked this hotel mainly because of my Starwood membership and also because I had had very good experiences at other Inter-Continental properties. Unfortunately, I didn’t look at the hotel websites’ pictures closely, and therefore did not realise that the hotel was built in the minimalist style. It was therefore a great disappointment for all of us when we got to the hotel. Somehow, we expect the “sun and beach” resort hotels to be built in tropical styles, whereas the minimalist style is probably more suited to business hotels in big cities. This is of course entirely personal.

We bought a club package which included access to the club lounge for breakfast and happy-hour snacks, an afternoon tea set for two, a dim-sum lunch set for two, cash coupons worth 500 yuan (about US$78) for food and beverages, plus free wi-fi in our room and the lounge. This was really great value, for it turned out that we didn’t need to spend any money on food and drinks at all in those two nights. The cash coupons were enough to pay for our son’s food bill.

While there were not too many choices for breakfasts, everything was so well done that we really could not complain. The cold dishes, juices, bread, yogurt, fruits and deserts were presented in a buffet style, but you could also order things like eggs and meat cooked to your liking, including eggs benedict, mushrooms and grilled tomatoes.

The happy-hour snacks from 5-7pm were even better. There was unlimited supply of alcoholic beverages (from champagne to wine and whisky), plus different kinds of snacks (including smoked salmon) and light meals (such as pastas, pies and soup) every night. For us, there was absolutely no need for dinner after the snacks.

Our Cantonese dim sum set lunch took us to the Chinese restaurant located about 100 metres offshore in a series of houses built on water. It turned out to be an all-you-can-eat lunch, each dish prepared to order. We were pleasantly surprised by the excellent quality of food, which compared favourably with that at the fine restaurants in Hong Kong where we live.

Finally, a few words about the rooms. The hotel’s main building is a high-rise (probably 12 storeys) with hundreds of rooms right behind the beach. There are two swimming pools that are open to all guests, one is a small rectangular lap pool next to the coffee shop, while the other is a huge fun pool with water slides and other facilities for the kids. Unfortunately the fun pool was closed for maintenance when we were there. The club section is located to the left of the main building near the far end of the beach. It is a sprawling two-storey structure that encircles a huge garden with numerous trees and lotus ponds. The upper-floor rooms come with balconies, while the lower-floor rooms have their private outdoor soaking pool about the size of a single bed. The view from the room is therefore very pleasant, even though the architectural style is not my cup of tea. Next to the club lounge is a sandy pool for club guests only. The problem with this pool is that you only need a few people to kick up a sandstorm, and you just cannot see anything when you’re in the water. I much prefer a crystal-clear pool.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank allanng2004
Dear AllenNg2004,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. We appreciate your detailed review of your visit as it will help our team to improve our services. Your comments regarding our different architectural design are noted and I agree that this is subjective. Our resort has received numerous awards for design and style and is generally well received due to its originality and spacious contemporary feel. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our Summer holiday package with all the food coupons. Our Dim Sum lunch at our over the sea Chinese Restaurant is extremely popular and the Dim Sum is fresh and delicious. Our Club pool has a sand bottom which is different from our other large pools which have a tiled bottom.
Again I thank you for your feedback and I hope to see you back at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. With best regards Geoffrey Ryan
Singapore
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We selected this resort for its architectural design and stayed for 2 nights in a villa.

Location: Relatively near town. Unfortunately, this part of the beach isn't the prettiest especially during low tide.

Service: Efficient but cool.

Room: Clean but there's some wear & tear.

Food: Breakfast was fine. Buffet dinner was ok except that the seafood BBQ station was so crowded. We had to queue & wait for our lobster which turned out to be half-cooked.

There's nothing really bad about this resort but with the kind of options we have in Sanya, it's unlikely we will return.

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple