“Good for business but for vacation”

InterContinental Sanya Resort
Ranked #26 of 1,373 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Maybe a good choice for business, but not a smart one for family vacation.
First Impression:
1. Small Lobby.
2. Bad/Good reception experience: I booked the room via an agent, who had guaranteed to me two weeks ago about my water view room, especially an extra crib for baby. However, the very minute I sat down at the front desk at 4:30 PM (even before a single sip of the so-called welcome drink), the receptionist girl eagerly asked me whether I'd like to upgrade to a sea-view at the higher floor level, for a special discount for 200RMB/night. After I said no, she told me that the hotel was over-booked, and my room type was not available at the moment! THIS IS SO NOT what you should ever expect in any InterContinental!! Fortunately, the manager was on duty. After she "forced the original receptionist to leave", she tried to coordinate a little, and gave us a free upgrade, and also apologized for the un-availability of the non-smoking room. This was what should be done in the right way.

Overall/Gardening/Beach:
1. The hotel is pretty small, so the gardening is really just so so. The beach is not private. I could feel that InterContinental is really trying to "save" from space exclusive to the hotel guests, such as the fire, and the beach bar where you have to order if you want to sit. However, there are still lots of people "walking" around while you are swimming, or enjoying the private moment with your family or your kids.
2. The hotel is much more business oriented, so it's normal if you see mid-aged men smoking in public areas.
3. The hotel provides a free shuttle between hotel and the downtown shopping area. But it only take you out. Do not expect the shuttle will take you back even if you were standing at the stop right on time. The shuttle driver will ignore unless you asked the concierge to note particularly.

Room:
1. Clean, and modern in both design and function, like any other InternContinental. But the room is not big.
2. Attentive and polite room service, expect one cleaning cloth was left in my toilet.
3. A little noisy at the night.

Breakfast/Restaurent:
1. Not too many selection in breakfast. I particularly didn't feel good when I politely asked the waitress to chop the vegetables into smaller pieces to go with the noodle soup for my son. The chef behind her simply responded with a rude "WAIT".
2. Very over-priced dinner. Actually, there were little people having dinner in the hotel restaurants, probably because it's close to downtown. You can get any cheap food if you like with a 15 RMB taxi.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank richyding
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2013

Dear richyding
I appreciate your detailed feedback and apologise for our service shortfall that you experienced. Our Leadership team has thoroughly reviewed your comments so that we can improve our check in experience, housekeeping and shuttle bus service. We are using your feedback to focus and improve the care and comfort of our guest families. Thank you again for staying at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort

Reviewed 18 March 2013

The hotel is located in a nice and quiet bay close to the center (not sure how long the quiet will continue given the massive construction madness that is rapidly destroying the island. Several high-rise buildings are currently under construction close to the hotel).

I particularly like the design of the hotel (very green and modern) and the fact that from one room (even from the terrace outside) it is not possible to see into others. Great swimming pool and a nice deck and promenade to go for walks. The restaurants are pretty good even if the breakfast area gets very crowded in the morning.

Staff is nice and smiley. Unfortunately I had an argument with the manager when checking out (the room rate they applied was much higher than the one I had booked) and initially she has been quite impolite but she made up for it by apologizing and offering to take us to the airport with a van for free.

Overall I think this is one of the best hotels in Sanya (I am not a big fan of Yalong Bay), mainly due to the good location, high level of comfort and nice architecture.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Dear Edoardo A
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the unique and modern design of our Resort . Also it is pleasing to hear your feedback regarding our restaurants and swimming pools.I am disappointed that you had a challenge upon check out but thankful that this was resolved before you departed. I have spoken with the manager involved so that we can improve our service delivery in the future. Thanks again for your feedback and I hope you will return to the Intercontinental Sanya Resort for your next family holiday.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Had a wonderful birthday at the Interconti Club. The Hotel architecture is very unusual, modern and exclusive (if you like modern Bauhaus like architecture). The rooms where excellent, clean and specious. The German Club Manager was exceptional good and attentive!.

Drinks and canapes at the club where delicious and creative throughout our stay.

If you like a nice beach i would not recommend the hotel as the small beach was rather dirty. They tried their best to clean it but i guess the dirt coming from the Chinese see is simply overwhelming. At one point i saw 3 broken bulbs lying in the sand at the beach and decided not to go there again ^^.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MariusBZ
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Dear Marius B
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort.. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the serenity and the architecture of the Club Intercontinental. I will pass on your nice comments to Maren who was our Club Manager last May.
Last year we built and installed a Beach Cleaning Net in the sea to stop any rubbish coming to the beach and to ensure that our beach is the cleanest in Sanya. As you can read from recent comments this has been very successful and our beach is very clean , safe and enjoyed by hundreds of guests every day.
Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 January 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with my mum at club room at 26-28/01.
I originally want to book another new opened hotel, but unluckily it was fully booked. So I choose InterCon instead.

Impressive pick up from Sanya airport by using a German luxury saloon.

Problem arise at check in. My travel agent told me that they are contract with InterCon for twin room. I even double confirm with my agent twice before travel. However, when I check in, the reception girl told me that I requested King Room instead of normal twin. I was shocking.....and she said all the twin room was full and only have King left. They try to push me to accept King room, and said they cant do anything for me. Then I have to call overseas to my travel agent and tell them the whole story..... After 40 mins, my travel agent had sort everything out with the hotel and the solutions was add an extra bed in the room without charging me anything.

I am not sure which party was making error in my case. Maybe there have communication errors at both sides. I am not trying to say who is responsible for this, but I am sure the overall experience with this hotel is degraded no matter how good they are in other areas.
However, the staff is always polite and patient.

The water garden room we were staying is average. The colour of the outdoor cabana cushion and mattress were fading away, which makes me feel dirty and I don't wanna sit on it at all. Room size is acceptable as a five star hotel in Asia. The thing I hate most about the room is the washroom lighting. The time sensor is very annoying, timing is too short and the sensor should be more sensitive.

Overall is not too bad, apart from the check in problem.
I may choose another hotel if I am going to Sanya again. Too many five stars hotel you can choose from, unless you are a InterCon Fans..

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Godwin_To
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2013

Dear Godwin_To
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. I have investigated the challenge that we had upon check-in due to the misunderstanding with your travel agent. As you mentioned this was resolved but I apologise to you and your mother for what must have been an unexpected and difficult arrival experience. We will strengthen our training at reception so that the arrival experience is consistently smooth and enjoyable. The cabana beds that you also referred to are spotlessly clean and regularly inspected. We also reupholster these beds due to the strong sunshine in Sanya on an annual basis . Thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Intercontinental Sanya Resort.

Reviewed 22 January 2013

I have visited Sanya 3 times previously, and each time the reality has not lived up to the expectation, probably because all of my previous stays were at Yalong Bay (Gloria, Hilton, Ritz Carlton) - which you would struggle to tell apart if you walked in from the beach/did not see the signage.

The InterContinental Resort Sanya is in a different league from these hotels, dominating a small bay surrounded by mountains and modern, tasteful upmarket apartment complexes.

The result is heaven on earth, wholly unexpected in China. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough, especially if you have previously written off Sanya as over-hyped mediocrity - as I had.

A wonderful (business meeting) experience that I will quickly repeat with family in tow.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Dear dklondon,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. I am happy to hear that your 4th visit to Sanya and 1st time away from Yalong Bay was your favorite. With your description of the resort as "heaven on earth" I take it that you were able to relax, destress and unwind which is exactly what we are aiming for. As you say next time bring your family with you so you can enjoy some quality time together and make some memories. Bring your panda bear too.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

I was "upgraded" as a royal ambassador to a club room. I use quotes there because while the room was certainly large and very nice, it lacked the ocean view that was on my original reservation. It seems to me that if someone specifically books (and pays extra for) an ocean view that you should make sure the new room also has one. Also seemed odd seeing as I'm used to being bumped up to suites but in this cased got what had to be the worst of the club rooms in that it was ground level with no views to speak of. In the end this doesn't matter much to me as the only time I spend in the room is when I'm sleeping, but I could see this being an issue for someone else.
That said, I can definitely see the appeal of the club area. It was so quiet and relaxing there compared to the rest of the resort. There's just so much more activity in the main area with the Beach Bar, several restaurants, etc. Lots of kids running around too and the occasional screaming infant. There was none of this in the Club area which has it's own pool and lounge area.
I didn't eat at any of the restaurants except for breakfast in the club lounge (decent but limited), a breakfast at Mediterraneo (more options, but nothing dazzling), and drinking the house-made beer (very good).
The staff, like all Intercons I've been to, was excellent. Most spoke very good English and all were extremely social and friendly. I had some great conversations with the staff in the Club lounge and learned a fair bit about the island and people.
The gym was just OK. A bit on the small side, but apparently people aren't coming to Sanya to work out seeing as I hardly ever saw more than 2 people in there. There's a nice selection of cardio equipment and some basic strength training machines along with a set of dumbbells. The Spa was very nice, though expensive by China standards. My Chinese style massage while painful at times ("some of this may hurt, but it's good for you") did an awesome job of clearing out the lower back pain I had.
One oddity is that cabs are nearly impossible to find and so when you ask the bell captain to go somewhere what you end up with is just a local guy and his car. The price to go one-way into town was 30rmb in these cars, but only 18rmb coming back in an actual taxi. On the other hand the cars are good for shuttling you around to the local attractions. We negotiated a rate of 300rmb a day for 2 days to be driven all over and have the driver wait while we toured.
Overall I was very happy here whiling away my afternoons staring at the beach and sipping on the house lager. I'd definitely welcome a return visit.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Dear Solarchem
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. I very much appreciate your detailed review and feedback as it allows our team to investigate and improve any areas where you were not completely satisfied. We have a wide range of rooms with different ocean views and I hope you will return so that you can experience a preferred ocean view. I am glad that you enjoyed the serenity of the Club Intercontinental and the personalised service . Our freshly brewed beer is made in our Beer Factory by our German ( Munich) Beer Master and we supply these authentic beers in all of our restaurants and bars. Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to our Resort.

Reviewed 11 January 2013

Spent 4 nights in a Club Room with spectacular views of the pool & ocean. Emaculate resort with beautiful grounds and architecture. Upon arrival we were met by Tony Lin, the head Concierge to welcome us to the InterContinental and provide any assistance we may need. He was most helpful and friendly, as was all the staff, making sure our needs were being taken care of for a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Upgrading to a Club room is worth the value. The privacy, views, pool & service are spectacular.