“Resort with an excellent hardware but services from staff not up to par”

InterContinental Sanya Resort
Ranked #25 of 1,347 Hotels in Sanya
Singapore
“Resort with an excellent hardware but services from staff not up to par”
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

Came to this resort for a 3 nights stay, we were staying in spacious IC club room which have a living room, a bedroom and a magnificent bathroom which consist of outdoor shower area, indoor shower cum bathtub area and a double basin top area, finally 2 balconies. Club lounge area is about 10mins walk away, rather far but it's ok we enjoyed the walk, club lounge provides breakfast, tea time snacks n cocktail snacking time and drinks throughout the day of course, decent food spread selections quite limited, decent service. Husband and I loved the spa so much that we went for massages on 2 conservative days, decor is soothing n calming, massues's superb skills and techniques were excellent and consistent among different massues, comparable to Chi spa and Banyan Tree Spa which we had visited before. Conceige is the only area of this resort that we are definitely not happy with, can be seen very chaotic at times when we come across. We called conceige prior to my trips wanted to request for hotel pick up conceige replied that they only have Benz limousine airport pickup services as this is already the basic mode of transport at 600rmb, however upon check out we were told that free transport to airport were available for us, to our horror we were being stashed onto a van provided by a 3rd party provider called ctrip among with other local tourists. Management definitely need to look into the conceige services quality. Overall we would say this is a resort worth considering.

• Stayed July 2013
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear tpprincess,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our large rooms with their unique bathrooms and outdoor areas. Also I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the Club Intercontinental and its services. I appreciate your feedback regarding our Concierge service and your disappointments with airport transfer information. We will study your feedback and improve our communications in this area to ensure our valued guests are fully informed on all airport transfer services that are available. I apologise for your inconvenience and I hope we may welcome you back to our Resort very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed at the SanYa Intercontinental Resort for three nights in January this year, booking through the IHG website. As a Platinum member IHG have been my choice of hotel for while and after the experience in SanYa it is easy to see why. The location, while a little way from downtown is convenient by taxi or rickshaw and offers a sense of isolation. The location at XiaoDongHai has a lovely palm tree lined beach with good swimming. The pools at the resort are great as well...beautiful lap pool and a larger, meandering area. The facilities here are tremendous with a great selection of dining options. I did not eat at the Sea Pavilion, but its location over the water is unique and stunning. The Asian Village and Mediterraneao are located close to the beach and the food is as awesome as the location. The beach bar was frequented quite often!!! Next door is the Beer Factory which has good bar food and the obligatory Philppino band and is not bad for a regional China hangout!!!! The area is low on nightlife so a trip into town is recommended for some after hours partying. We took a trip to the Li Minority Exhibit organized by the hotel (driver) and that was very smooth!!! The room was amazing. Separate lobby with wardrobe, desk bed and TV in the main area opening to a awesome sofa on the patio. The bathroom had a sunken bath overlooking the beach which was very romantic. Staff were impeccable and I hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Ocean View Rooms A Must!!!! The Pool Suites Looked Nice Too.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear Ausericanesian
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your visit in January. Our team will be very happy to hear your comments regarding their service. We are also very pleased to see that you liked our Ocean View rooms and our selection of restaurants and bars. Thank you again for your fantastic feedback and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Changchun, China
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This is an excellent resort in Xiaodonghai - about 5 to 10 minutes by taxi from Sanya City or Dadonghai with many restaurants and shops.
The hotel features a breathtaking landscape with several pools. The main pool is huge. Our room (beach villa) had direct access to the pool, which is a great feature.
Our beach villa (not a stand-alone villa on the beach) had two large bedrooms and a large comfortable living room. Villas feature a big private pool, and a large outdoor seating area. The combination of a private pool and direct access to the large pool is absolutely fantastic. Private, yet easily accessible.

The club area of the hotel is a "hotel within a hotel", even separated by a wall. The club area features another pool. The club lounge - fantastic staff - is in a very beautiful location overlooking the bay. There's an elaborate breakfast and evening happy hour spread.

Fantastic service throughout the hotel. In-room dining was fast and delicious - unfortunately we did not make it to other hotel restaurants this time.

The IC Sanya remains some of our favorite beach hotels in Asia.

Room Tip: Chose a club room for more exclusive service and facilities.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear MaTaocheng
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. Our team are delighted to receive such a wonderful review and positive feedback. Yes it is true that we have a very convenient location here next to Dadonghai and not far from the airport. Close to shopping and all the busy areas but far enough away to find peace and quiet. Good to hear that you enjoyed our large swimming pools and the unique pool entry of the villas. I will pass on your comments regarding good service to our Club Intercontinental team who will be very happy to receive it. Thanks again for your excellent feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 2 July 2013

The resort was a 30 minutes drive from the airport. We checked in at the club reception where there were welcome drinks. The resort has golf carts available to drive hotel guests around the hotel, which we took to get our luggages to our room. The suite had a spacious living room and nice and clean bedroom and bathroom. It was brightly lit around the room. The balcony faced the ocean with a sun bed and a picnic table, great for drinks at night.

After settling in, we took a walk around the resort, and found there were many people at the beach and public areas of the hotels (such as fireplace, bar), many were not hotel guests, rather they were local citizens of Sanya, which was a bit disappointing. They were smoking, carried plastic bags of swimsuits around and sat around the fireplace of the hotel and on the beach which made the resort much crowded than it should be if it was just exclusively for hotel guests during the day, of course they all left after dark, offering a much more relaxing resort experience.

The club lounge offers breakfast and tea service, where there is a small variety of foods for you to choose from. It is also a great place to relax and chat as they offer drinks throughout the day and is not packed unlike the other public areas of the hotel, so it is definitely worth it to pay a bit extra for club access.

The breakfast buffet was great at the Mediterranean, there were many tables, and quite a wide selection of food. The Sea Pavillion was a nice place to dine with a nice view of the ocean if you have reserved a table in advance. Food is relatively expensive, but the quality was pretty good. One problem was that the fan above tables cannot be controlled, so as we arrived the restaurant, we found the restaurant quite hot and stuffy, but as we eat, we found that the fan was making all our food cold. Hopefully, IHG can work on the air conditioning of the restaurant rather than just having fans above tables.

The dinner buffet of the hotel at Asian Village was average, and the variety of food was limited. A lot of the food were offered at open areas where it was quite dark, and I seem to have saw some flies around, making it unappetising. This whole experience at the restaurant was quite disappointing and did not seem to be thought out well enough.

There are a number of pools in the hotel, one with warm water, one with a slide for children with quite shallow water, and also one for diving, so be sure to bring along your goggles. There is an extra pool for guests with club access which had sand at the bottom of the pool. All of the pools were quite clean and well maintained, but a bit crowded during the day. One slip of the pools was when the life guard thought we were not hotel guests and approached us negatively asking "Are you staying here?", then we said "yes", and he asked for our room number. It was disappointing that he approached us with such a negative attitude as opposed to verify many other that were in the pool that didn't seem to be hotel guests as they brought along their bags to the pool.

Overall, the resort had a really nice environment and rooms were awesome and had nice view, but the service that we encountered were quite disappointing as an IHG resort. Also, the number of outsiders that can enter into the hotel really spoils the resort experience for hotel guests.

Room Tip: Ocean view club suites on above ground levels are very spacious and will have an awesome view of the...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear chelcc1
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the spacious sea view rooms and the Club Intercontinental. We have reviewed your comments regarding the Asian Village buffet and made some improvements based on your feedback.Thank you also for your positive comments about the Mediterraneo restaurant and the Sea Pavilion. I have passed on your comments regarding the fans to our Restaurant manager. Like most resorts in Sanya areas of the beach are for public use however the resort is reserved for our private guests.Our security and our team will always protect the privacy and safety of our valued guests. Thanks again for your detailed feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Macau
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I'm a regular intercontinental visitor and this was my first time to the sanya resort.
First hiccups - I requested hypoallergenic pillows and duvet and to my surprise, the resort does not carry any in their inventory despite such pillows being (incl foam substitutes) being listed in their pillow choice forms. Eventually I had to settle for a cotton one, but no luck on the duvet. It seems they had to go and borrow one from a neighbouring hotel although I'm still to sure what I got in the end. The duty manager did try her best but this has got to be a set up issue and this hotel is a couple of years old!
Second issue was the promo package I booked. Although the promo package stated I would get an F&B credit of RMB300, when it came to the crunch I was given a Choice of either three x RMB100 coupons for specifically different food outlets or three generic RMB 100 coupons for any outlet provided I spend a minimum of RMB300 each time.
Neither was what I understood from reading the promo.
The ocean view room was spacious and had a great view however I could not seem to get it down cool enough in the night for comfortable sleep.
The breakfast restaurant was extremely crowded both days despite the hotel not being full and I would hate to be there in the peak season. Dinner in the same restaurant was much more pleasant and we had a great waitress from Australia. My friend had left his glasses there and it was there waiting under my name when I went to breakfast e next morning. The staff at the beach bar were not very attentive despite there being only one other small group there.
The hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful and did their best in the whole.
Overall a four and a half star experience.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
Dear babywine
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us to pay attention to the small details which are so important. Our team has reviewed your comments regarding hypoallergenic pillows and duvet and these are readily available for our future guests. We will also make sure the benefits in our promotional packages are easy to understand and to use. We have an excellent airconditioning system here in our Resort to keep all our guests cool so we will take a close look at the room you experienced to ensure cool air at all times. Thanks again for your constructive feedback and I will pass on your comments to our team regarding their friendliness and service attitude.
Beijing, China
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Back in Beijing now after a recent trip to The Intercontinental in Sanya and all we can say is WOW WOW WOW! This place is amazing and has everything you could wish for to ensure a great, relaxing holiday.
We had our parents over and they wanted a beach holiday without having to travel too far. We had heard mixed reviews on Sanya but after extensive research we decided it was our best option as most other beach resorts (Phuket, Vietnam, Philippines etc) involved longer traveling time.
We are so delighted now that we decided on Sanya as now we know it’s a great option from Beijing for a relaxing trip.
Maybe our view of Sanya wouldn’t be this positive if we stayed in another hotel as everything about our stay, from checkin to checkout, at the Intercontinental was perfect.
The grounds of the resort are fab, the guestrooms and suites are beautiful( with a gorgeous outdoor shower in our room, pure oasis!), the food is great, the staff are unbelievably friendly and efficient and cant help you enough.
We had read all the recommendations from posters here to go for the Club option and this was not a let down. The Club guestrooms, lounge, food and beverages were great and plentiful. We would definitely echo the previous comments about the club upgrade.
We will definitely return.
We met both the General Manager and the Assistant General Manager and both of them were so friendly and made us feel very welcome! I would love to remember all the staff names but unfortunately I cannot The staff in the club lounge were outstanding and we had a lovely, friendly caddy driver named Sing!
The only negative we have is that the resort is so great that we didn’t want to leave to explore the surrounding areas!!
A truely memorable experience. Thank you Intercontinental!!

Room Tip: Club option is best, and club room with small pool on terrace is fab! Also has a beautiful outdoor s...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, 6 July 2013
Dear ailibop
WOW - what a great review. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed Sanya and your time at the Intercontinental Resort. I will pass on your great feedback regarding our guestrooms, food, staff and the Club Intercontinental. It is very satisfying to hear that your whole family enjoyed your time together and we look forward to you returning next time. I will be sure to pass on your kind words about our staff member Sing who will be thrilled to receive such feedback. Thanks again and see you soon.
Beijing
Reviewed 9 June 2013

My wife and I stayed for three nights and after reviewing tripadvisor, booked the garden view room. The room was perfect, big balcony with comfortable seating to lounge around in, great if you are in group have friends or family traveling together. First room they put us in was a little untidy and smelt as though it had not had any one stay for a very long time. This is low season, but no excuse and after a call to reception was transferred to a much cleaner room that was nearer the breakfast room too. Overall, the place is very nice if you like contemporary architecture, facilities are ok, but felt not as children friendly as other resorts we have been to. Three restaurants was good enough for our short stay, the Hainan chicken rice and burger was excellent. Finally, a big recommendation to Sarah Chen from the Asian Delight restaurant', very helpful, professional and passionate about taking care of customers and Calvin Yue the Manager, along with his staff was very quick to respond and gave us personal attention.

Room Tip: Garden view
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kongasia
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Dear Kongasia
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our large and comfortable rooms. My apology for the mistake that our team made upon check in. We will discuss what happened so we can ensure that our room checking procedures are consistently followed for all our valued guests. We are focusing on our service and activities to children and teenagers in our resort and are adding more activities and educational programs. We have recently added a Kid's Butler to our team to give VIP service to our smaller guests. Thank you for all your comments and I will be sure to pass on your thanks to Sarah and Calvin.