“Incredible beach, white sand and clear water”

InterContinental Sanya Resort
Ranked #23 of 1,350 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed 18 January 2011

Stayed there for 10 days with my partner and I was impressed by the friendly staff, the cleanliness of the room and the facilities overall. The beach gorgeous and the views of the ocean from the room, incredible.

The room was spacious and modern, with the only fault I could find being the plug sockets on the walls not installed properly - they came out when I unplugged my phone charger. Only thing that could have made my room on the 9th floor better would be a jacuzzi and if it was closer to the lift.

The location is peaceful and secluded but if you want to go out and about you need access to a car preferably or just spend a lot on taxi's - however I would recommend the taxi option as I personally would not feel comfortable driving in China (where all the drivers seem to be super aggressive)

I would definitely go there again if I go back to Sanya.

1  Thank Jarlawuk

Reviewed 5 January 2011

I will start with the rooms, let’s face it if you get a bad room it’s hard to overcome that!
Room we loved great finish with timber floors, attention to detail is great. The outdoor extension to every room is great, gives you an outdoor lounge room, with the perfect weather, what a place to relax in the sun.

The service from every single member of staff was just great, big smiles on their faces all the time and more then willing to help, did visit one of the other hotels in Sanya, you could tell the difference, what ever they do with their staff hope they keep it up, everybody has an English name, nice little rest from the pressures of the Chinese language.

Food was also very good, only bad thing I have to say is watch out for the cocktails served in plastic, you can get around that!

We are extensive travelers, this is one of the better hotels I have ever stayed in, great place to get away from the cold (Shanghai, my god it is cold) and get some sun, maybe play some tennis, loads of options for golf.

We will be back for sure!

Sorry forgot the Spa, also great!!

Reviewed 4 January 2011

This hotel suffers from a very typical problem that plagues many Chinese hotels/resorts - the poor quality of service. The courtesy and service that is shown is very perfunctory and mechanical, and you don't really sense the genuine warmth and care of the staff. All you are left with feeling is that they are after your money!! You complain and they react (belatedly), but no one really anticipates your needs. It is a pity, because it is a beautiful property. As long as you manage your expectations, and don't expect anything like what you are used to with, say, 5 star Thai hospitality, then you are fine. Also, don't waste your money on a "villa" (which I did). It is really more like a pavillion you find elsewhere with a small pool, but otherwise doesn't offer a lot of privacy or exclusive feel. I go so far to say the "villa" label is in fact quite misleading. Nothing like the villas in the Ritz.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Pampered05
Reviewed 1 January 2011

Just got back from a 5 day vacation with my family, which was simply great. This brand new resort is beautiful and comes with all the high-end comfort and styleYou can expect from Intercontinental. Yet some parts of it, like the last restaurant (Chinese) are still under construction.
As we struggled in making a choice between the different 5 star resorts in that part of the island for this first trip to Sanya, we had a look at the other resorts during our stay.

Our remarks below:

Strengths of the IC:
- Professional and very friendly staff at all levels: The General managers himself enjoys strolling around and enquire of his customers' satisfaction and, as we could experience, remedy on the spot any expressed concern. As often in China, 100% of the staff is not fluent in English (although all managers are) but they will go the extra mile to make sure You get what You need.

- Decoration and comfort of the buildings and rooms is the nicest we got to see. Layout is also better that the other 5 stars in the area, spread over a very wide beach as opposed to the more compressed beach strip sections of the Hilton, Sheraton, etc.. in Yalong Bay.

- Eco-Friendly design and construction (green roofs, ceiling fans in addition to A/C, etc...).

- Nice Kids Club, plus un number of the (many) swimming pools designed with beaches, and a water slide (although not heated). Daily kids actvities programme offered (actually there is one for adults as well, but we did not join).

- The beach bar: The cosiest of the all-day bevs/foods place that I could see in all resorts.

Opportunities for improvement for the IC:
- Water Sports: Not yet as well equipped in waterspors facilities/club as other nearby high end resorts in Yalong Bay. I had to go downtown to find a scuba diving club.

- Heated Pool: Like the other resorts actually, just one heated pool that most people use in Winter, and it is the smallest. It would be nice to extend the water heating to at least one more of the many other pools. Our kids would use the non-heated pools (You cannot stop them if there is a water slide...), but at this time of year a bit too cold for my taste.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 December 2010

The hotel is huge. We needed a buggy to get from the lobby to our room. We were checked in in our room. Rooms with great design. It is important to note that the hotel is only six months old and some parts of the hotel is still in construction. It is also important to note that the construction has little impact to our overall expereicne with the hotel.

The hotel beach was a bit of a disappointment. The hotel mgmt actually placed stones near the beach area to prevent the erosion of sand from the beach. It actually destroyed the image of a beautiful beach.

The service was a bit of a disappointment, We called for valet to have some of our clothes pressed and it took an hour before the valet turned up to collect the laundry. In general, the lowly ranked staff were not well trained and had poor attitudes and manners.

The shower drainage area was blocked in our room and the room flooded when my wife took a shower on the first night. The duty manager, Mr. Liang, did make an effort to resolve the problem and got us another room. He even offered a free dinner (room service) as a form of apology.

The concerige service in the hotel was good, with good local knowledge and always offering help.

In summary, it was a great hotel, except for some teething problems. I believe with a bit of training, the hotel will mature into a great hotel. I intend to return there next Christmas.

I would like to specially mention the excellent care given by Mr Liang during our stay.

1  Thank drstevenang
Reviewed 9 December 2010

I was stressed from work so I stayed at the Intercon, Sanya for three nites. I went away not only relaxed and happy but also trying to figure out when I can come back. The staff are so warm and try very hard to keep you happy and they do a great job. It is easy to sense that it is from the heart. And the Spa treatments? well that was total bliss! I will return as often as I can! Richard, Hong kong

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 December 2010

Very nice and welcoming resort. The staff is young, friendly, and eager to help. The hotel is beautiful; the open-air corridors and gardens on the roofs were very nice. I was able to stay in two different rooms within one week, as I was there earlier for a business conference and came back a few days later for leisure. The Water garden room is very spacious with a view of the water gardens and sea, while the Sky garden room had a view of the sea and mountains on the Luhuitou peninsula. Both had terraces and extremely nice bathrooms. I would only comment about the beach, only a small portion of the beach by the hotel was good enough to swim in, and it was very rocky. I found the water to be much clearer there than in Dadonghai beach, but there is a lot of construction on the beach going on, we preferred the hotel's swimming pools.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business