“Bad experience right at the start...”

and 1 more site!
Le Parker International Hotel
Ranked #46 of 1,330 Hotels in Sanya
Singapore, Singapore
“Bad experience right at the start...”
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Very bad experience right from the start. Arrived at 3pm and the reception told me that they couldnt find my booking. Spend about 15 mins or so and told me that she will check it with the reservation department and will come back. Took another 10 mins and came back telling me that Expedia did not send them my booking and told me to call them and inform them so. After that she disappears, did not even bother to help even though i printed a hotel confirmation sent to my email showing that I have paid. (she told me I paid Expedia so I have to call them myself). I have had to call back Singapore. Took close to 1.5 hours for check in. Simply absurd. In the end, they gave me a room with twin beds when I wanted to lodge a complaint. To make matter worse, told me they do not have available rooms with double bed and could only give me rooms with twin beds.

There is no carpet flooring in the room (only around the bed area) and the tiles doesnt seem like it has been mopped for ages. I have to walked around the room in bedroom slippers.

Fridge is empty and drinking water wasnt given. So far, this is the only hotel I have been that does not provide drinking water.

Hotel itself is modern and class, except for the sticky floors and the loud engine noise coming from the washroom. Walking distance to night markets and for food. We ate at the beer garden opposite the hotel and they are cheap. Overall, I am quite satisfied with the location.

I do not have internet issues like the other reviewers and would give it a rating of 4 if it wasnt for the bad experience during check ins.

Room Tip: Double check to ensure that your booking is confirmed if you want to stay here.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank chuafiona

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 5 September 2012

The reviews so far are rather accurate. The Le Parker is a really nice hotel as a closed environment. Attentive service, amazing and included breakfast buffet, beautifully done rooms, etc. The issues are really three fold:

1) The internet is so slow that I can see it being a running joke. This is not a result of the Great Firewall of China, but rather appears to be inadequate infrastructure.

2) The staff has a relatively poor command of English. They do fine if its basic stuff related to check-in and directions, but it is really difficult to communicate when you have any other issue. It was almost impossible to explain that, inexplicably, there was a giant wooden board that needed to be removed from under part of our bed (yeah, it was weird). They handled it and were very nice about it, but it was really difficult to try and explain with Lonely Planet phrases in Mandarin and English outside their script. The target group seems to be visiting Chinese, so this probably isn't an issue all the time.

3) You are taking a cab pretty much anywhere, except perhaps the interesting little food/entertainment street just to one side. If you want the beaches or the like, you are probably looking at a 10 minute cab. That said, much like the rest of China, cabs are dirt cheap and plentiful, so I wouldn't be put off by that.

All in all, I liked the hotel/kindness/breakfast a lot. They were all really nice and customer service oriented in a way that seemed more North American than East Asian. The problems were more with infrastructure (the terribly slow internet) or communication related.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank N1120A
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Our experience with the hotel was not good at all! We ordered an airport pick up. We waited at the airport for 15 mins, trying to find a guy holding a sign with our name on. When I turned on my phone, I got an sms in Chinese saying: "I am from the hotel, when you get off the plane, ring me." Luckily, I read some Chinese. When I confronted him that he should have waited inside with our name, he said: we always do this. When I complained to the manager, he said that he would look into the matter.

At 9.30pm that night, I received another sms of the same message, from a different number. At 10pm when we were already asleep (we have a baby that wakes up very early so we go to bed early), that number rang me. Luckily I had put my phone on silence. In the morning I complained again to the manager. He said: this must be another driver trying to pick up a guest, but got the wrong number. I said: "So after I complained yesterday, they are still doing it?" He just smiled shyly.

Worse still: when we returned back to the hotel because our flight home was cancelled, the guy that picked us up at the airport didn't even want to meet us at the gate. He kept telling me to walk down to the parking lot. I was close to cursing!! We were pushing a pram and a trolley full of luggage! Anyway, we couldn't find him at the parking lot, had to go back to the gate, then he finally met us at the gate. The car was parked on a raised platform with around 20 steps up. I was fuming!!

(believe me, if it hadn't been such a tough day waiting at the airport, we wouldn't have come back to this hotel!)

However, if don't have to deal with airport pick ups or the staff too much, then the hotel is OK: clean and spacious, good breakfast selection.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank HL D
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 18 March 2012 via mobile

Every night until midnight your room will be filled with 70db of loud music until midnight. Even on higher floors, the live music from the open bar will permeate your room. Such an open bar at the foot of a hotel is wholly inappropriate. The more expensive rooms are more affected than the cheaper rooms.

The Internet is unusable during the evenings. I measured speeds of 0.05 megabits/sec. The slow Internet has been a continual problem at this facility (reported last year.) I use my China Unicom 3G for Internet access.

Otherwise, this hotel is sleek and modern, nicely located, and beautifully decorated. It has an above average breakfast buffet. The staff has very limited English, by the way.

Stayed March 2012
Kunming, China
Reviewed 11 February 2012

The good:
--Rooms are sleek and modern.
--Sunken bathtub. Strong shower.
--Excellent buffet breakfast, included in room price.
--A few blocks from many good open air seafood eateries.
--Bus stops nearby.
--Nice view.

The bad:
--Rooms are very, very small. Have to re-arrange the chairs in order to open the closet or get into the mini-bar. I'm sure some rooms are larger. I had a river view room on the 27th floor.
--No chair in the room, only a cushioned stool. There was a chair out on the balcony.
--Staff not well trained or supervised. Could not give basic local information, advice, or directions (in Chinese -- this was not a language problem.)
--The room's large picture window does not have curtains, only wooden louvered blinds. Light streams in strong at 6 a.m. and will awaken all but the soundest sleepers. Not a problem if you like to get up at the crack of dawn.

Room Tip: Ask to see a couple of different kinds of rooms before making your selection. I had reserved ahead a...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Vancouver
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Upon arrival, we were entirely disrespected by the front desk staff, especially by a front desk girl surnamed Yang, working the afternoon of December 29th, it wad frustrating enough for them to screw up our room reservation on a number of times, also the front desk staff surnamed Yang kept interupting us during check-in and once we mentioned that it wad rude to constantly disrupt us, she proceeded to say that her time was more important than our time.
I do give credit to Manager Li Wei for resolving some of the problems with our stay, she was very nice.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Seth L
Singapore
Reviewed 25 November 2011

After a two nights stay at the Hotel New Osroc in Haikou, my parents and I took an early morning high speed train at 8.12am to Sanya (journey about 2 hrs 15 mins). The train made about 6 stops in between the two cities, a tab too many stops I thought. First class seats were clean, comfy and spacious. So, are the toilets (clean frequently). However, no free drinks nor biscuits were provided during the journey, much unlike the ones we had taken in Xiamen and Xian where they would give you a free rectangular box of drink and nibbles.

Next, our pre-booked car was waiting for us at the Sanya train station. We then headed to the Betel Nut Valley (a 45 min drive away) - a wonderful village of the Li and Miao minority race, recreated to the finest detail and seemed rather authentic. It was a very fun place to explore (allow at least 2-3 hours) with giant live shows to please. Though the entrance fee was high at RMB165 each, we thought it was rather good value for your money as all other facilities like buggy car rides, bungy jump etc are F.O.C. Inside the Valley, there were many stalls selling cheap and yummy local fare. So, avoid those restaurants outside the Valley - someone had said that those were very expensive!

Check in at the Hotel Le Parker (a Taiwanese group) was fine, though it could be a little faster. But our adjoining Sea view rooms, 1211 and 1212 were shockingly small ... quite unexpected! But being on the 21st floor, it does come with an outdoor terrace with two loungers, nice if you do use this rather big terrace. The room was brand new and the sunk in bathtub (too bad, with no TV to watch while soaking) and a huge rain shower were nice touches! Bed was a tab hard, but totally acceptable.

The minibar was free with 6 bottles of mineral water, Sprite and Coke (2 each). Tea and coffee bags were also free with a boiler. Views of the Phoenix island and the surrounding sea was nice but not overly so as higher rise buildings tend to block some of the seaview. Breakfasts, served from 6.30pm, was truly of a 5 stars standard - roasted chicked, roasted duck, dim sum, a few types of porridge, were all fresh and yummy!

At night, we visited the nearby Lu Hui Tou mountain peak park - nice views but basically a tourist trap as you pay RMB120 or 160? for a buggy car ride half way up the mountain. Then, you would have to walk the rest of the path yourself! Not worth doing, we thought. Sanya is a nice place if you are a beach person (we are not) or if you prefer a quieter town with lesser traffic than Haikou.

Within 5-7 minutes walk from the Hotel is the Jiefang Lu walking street - mostly jewellery shops, clothing stores and a super market. Walk through the hotel's ground floor cake shop, cross the small lane and enjoy fresh and cheap seafood at the first restaurant that you had reach (on your left). But be careful of the weight of the seafood that you are ordering and its price, check and double check!

Finally, we took a 15-20 minutes car ride to the Sanya station for our 12.30 noon high speed train (about 2 hours trip) to the Meilan Airport - fast, easy and convenient. At the airport, there were many nice restaurants, hence, no worries about the lack of good food. But alas, our Jetstar flight is forever late, departing only at 6.30pm instead of 5.45pm. Should have taken the latter train from Sanya (cannot remember if it was a 2.15 or 2.30pm train?) instead so we need not wait so long at the airport!

Enjoy this truly 5 star quality Hotel with a superb location, nice lobby, well maintained garden with water falls and a small swimming pool with superb views (albeit on the lobby level - a little strange)!

Room Tip: Choose a River view room instead, slightly cheaper and more spacious! But ask for higher floor ones...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family