“Good but room to improve”

Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay
Ranked #30 of 1,347 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Overall it is a great experience. Upgraded to a villa, nice treat. You have all you want for a beach holiday here, but nothing to do with luxury. Let me start with those go well.

Pros
- roomy villa with private pool
- complementary mini-bar and nespresso

Cons
- ugly lobby and poorly designed common pool, IMO. Not possible to real swim, only to plunge.
- breakfast is good when only a few guests on the first day; on the second day it is chaos like in any mass large resort.
- in the middle of nowhere. far from anything, but the hotel taxi service is efficient and reasonably priced.

The service is just ok. staff are well trained to serve, but not serving from the heart you can tell.

Frankly speaking it is still a good choice in Sanya and I would recommend to those who do not want fly far to SE Asia for a beach holiday.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
wang a, Public Relations Manager at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Dear Etemalblue

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experiences regarding your stay with us. We are pleased to learn that you had a nice and relaxing holiday here at this beachfront resort. Meantime, your valuable feedbacks will certainly assist us in improving on the areas that you felt there is a space to grow.

Recently we’ve launched a new Romance Package to delight couples’ stay, kindly visit our official website if you are interested to take a short break with us.

Thank you again and look forward to welcoming you again to our resort in the near future!

Best regards
Emily Wang

There are newer reviews for Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay

Reviewed 16 December 2012

We had a great time at the Conrad! We are a family of four (with two children under the age of 4) and we got a free upgrade to a 1 Bedroom King Villa because of my husband's Hilton gold status. To accommodate us, the staff put in a twin bed and a crib for the kids and it actually worked out really well. Because of the villa and gold status perks, we ended up getting the breakfast buffet, high tea, cocktail hour and unlimited wifi all included. Aside from breakfast, the other Conrad restaurants didn't seem that great so we ended up eating at the neighboring Doubletree where there were a few more options. We ate at 5 Tastes and Noodle Box, the more economical and kid-friendly choices. The Doubletree meals were actually quite decent, despite being obviously overpriced. Our Conrad breakfast buffet was amazing - it wasn't very big but you could order items off the a la carte menu (all included) like steak, salmon and quiche. We were stuffed every morning.

The hotel and grounds were beautiful and well maintained. Everything was spotless and well manicured. Aside from some small construction work on one of the fountains, we didn't see anything else out of place. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful - a welcome relief in China! It was definitely a 5-star hotel with a trained staff to match. They were in communication with us prior to our arrival and very accommodating. When we told them about our children and inquired about pool and beach toys, they went out of their way to make sure our room was stocked with kid items. When we arrived, we found kid-friendly pool toys, a brand new beach bucket set, kid-sized room slippers and Johnson & Johnson baby bath and lotion products. I felt we had the best of both worlds - the luxuriousness of the Conrad and access to the more kid-friendly amenities at the Doubletree. The Doubletree has a fun kiddie pool area (it's heated too) with two slides and a sand area. There is also an indoor playroom and an outdoor playground set. It's walkable from the Conrad but since we had the two kids and bags to bring for a day out, we called for a buggy to take us most of the time. The beach itself was also very clean and well maintained but it was very windy on the days we were there so we generally opted to hang out by the pool.

We went in mid-December and it was very empty and peaceful. The weather was perfect except for one day when it was cloudy/light rain. Totally ideal for us since it made for a very relaxing vacation away from the crowds. Right when we left, a huge wedding party came in and the Conrad staff told us the hotel was at 100% occupancy. We were so glad we missed that! The only small glitch was on the day of our departure, we called the front desk to arrange a car to take us to the airport. We scheduled it for Noon but it was 30 minutes late. It was a third party company so it wasn't really the Conrad's fault but I wish they had offered the hotel car when it became apparent we would be delayed significantly. They did offer it, but only 25 minutes later and then the taxi showed up.

All in all, we had a great vacation and would highly recommend the Conrad! It's very luxurious but still family-friendly!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank CWang01
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Our overall experience with this hotel was very good. We stayed in a two bedroom villa with private garden and swimming pool. The hotel lobby and villas are beautifully presented, the tropical plants and gardens are carefully taken care of, and rooms are fantastically designed. Bathrooms are design in such a lovely way! This is one of the best luxury I have stayed. You can spend an entire day in the villa by the pool!

The dining experience and room service are average. The restaurant looks wonderful, while the food itself was not top notch. This hotel located far from the city centre so we could not easily find proper food around the hotel. The free afternoon tea offered was very good though!

There is

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Beilinbaby
Reviewed 6 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in August as I was 30 weeks pregnant and wanted a last minute relaxation break.

We stayed in a Pool Villa and loved every second of our stay, nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The room was of the highest standard, the services and level of English impressive, many people had warned me that communicating with the staff in Sanya would be a problem but not so at the Conrad.

The hotel was very quiet and at times felt a bit ghost town like but that did not bother us.

Lots of added extra's, bottled water in the room was complimentry, there was a complimentry cocktail hour between 5 and 7 each evening, great idea ( As I coudl not drink soft drinks were included too)

Only reccomendations for improvement would have been more dining options, I do not like Chinese food so when we took the Chinese restaurant out of the equation only lefts Senses..... the other one was closed. Room service menu was a little limited. However Breakfast was excellent.

We did eat next door in the Hilton one evening at the Pacific, the food was lovely but service was a bit poor and slow.

Another small niggle was that wifi was not free, when you are paying that kind of price for a room wifi should be a given.

Would highly reccomend and would come back again.

Room Tip: Ensure you book one with a private pool worth the extra cost. Ideally do not be too far away from th...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I traveled with a group of friends, total of 8 ppl (4 rooms) in 3 different room categories. I gave it 4.5/5 because they were doing promotion of buy 2 nights get 1 free + free upgrade to plunge pool room. I would give it 4/5 if they didn't have promotion.

A van picked us up at the Sanya Airport, however, the car wasn't big enough to fit all the ppl + luggage!! They could they not know we have luggage?!

2 of the room upgrades were not honored because the plunge pool room was full, so 4 friends stayed in a standard room, 2 stayed in a plunge pool room and my friend and I paid extra and stayed in a 1 bedroom Ocean View villa..... the villa we got was 8652, there was barely any Ocean view at all and the pool was smaller then expected. Pretty much all the room categories has the same floorplan/layout, all the room's indoor area was about 70sqm, the only differences is Standard room had a terrace, Plunge Pool room has a small pool and our Villa had an outdoor gazebo and a bigger swimming pool! However, the villa came with a few perks, you get free Afternoon tea and cocktail, free minibar and 4 items of laundry each night. One thing should be noted ....the bathroom and changing rooms are visible!!! The doors are just glass doors with no blinds or curtains to cover..... it's very embarrassing if you sharing the room with your friend.....

The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom amenities is very good, I loved the heated marble floor! The housekeeping also did a very nice job, everyday we go out to breakfast and comes back to a very tidy room!

We didn't eat outside of the Hotel compound, the food was quite good (not the best), but breakfast was excellent! You can order steaks and cooked to order hot dishes for breakfast! The free afternoon tea was delicious ! I didn't expect the free food to be so good!

The hotel is huge, you really do need a golf cart to bring you around when it rains and to checkout. Its annoying when you had to wait 15mins for one though.

I used the spa once, all the treatment rooms are actually villas!! With steam, sauna, jacuzzi and a living room!! I called to arrange for a massage but they said it was full until 8pm!! I rarely see any guest in the hotel so I walked in the Spa and guest what? I can have a massage straight away! And made a booking for my friend at 5pm!!

Overall, I would definitely return if there is a good promotion or else I would go other hotels like St.Regis instead.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Oha
Reviewed 24 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a week and it is the ultimate in ensuring a relaxing yet luxurious and peaceful break. Found this hotel by accident when looking for some sun in china. They say it is the Chinese Hawaii. However Hawaii could only dream of having a resort like this one. The villas were unique and one of the best I have stayed in. Overlooking the sea with private infinity pool we were spoiled. Restaurants inside are excellent and we are really well including being able to taste the local hainanese cuisine.

Breakfast location was excellent and food delicious. Choice beyond belief. Staff called us by our names everywhere we went and the level of service was amazing. Beautiful sea(although a lot of red flags). Resort is spectactular, gardens and all areas kept to the highest of levels. Carts or bugged to take you around.

Sunrises and sunsets were some of the best I have seen.

This resort should be better known or well perhaps not! Let's keep this little oasis a secret!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Took a relaxing quick three day getaway. Hotel arranged for Audi pickup service from the airport for a modest fee. Hotel was about 35 minutes away from the airport in a very quiet not yet developed area of Sanya so the hotel and beach was very clean and quiet. The Conrad Hilton is located next to the Doubletree Hilton, and Conrad guests are free to visit the Doubletree pool and restaurant facilities.

First of all, let me state that if you wish to leave the hotel and explore the city, you are still a distance from the more active parts of the city, also there's really not much nearby to explore. However, if you like to stay in the hotel and just relax and do nothing, then I can think of no better resort in Sanya. The facilities are excellent, the service is wonderful, the dining is superb, and the beach is clean, spacious and quiet. Furthermore, there were very few guests so you feel as if you have the entire facility to yourself. In short, there's really no need to leave the premises, and as beautiful as things are, you will probably be reluctant to leave.

The food is excellent and you have a good selection of western and eastern cuisine. Breakfast was included with our stay, and it was one of the best hotel breakfast buffets I've ever had, being a resort, breakfast also runs until 11 am. There's also a complimentary afternoon tea and cocktail service which runs from 3-7 pm and include beverages and assorted snacks, this takes place on the magnificent balcony area overlooking the ocean.

Staff and service are excellent and extremely courteous and accommodating. I forgot the charger for my DSLR camera and concierge services went into the city to purchase one for me. Also, I had an early evening flight on my final day and the hotel offered me a very late checkout so which was quite nice of them.

To summarize: luxurious facilities, breathtaking seaview, spacious private beach, varied cuisine, warm hospitality. Definitely worth the pretty penny.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms don't really have much of an ocean view because of extensive landscaping, f...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple