“Flying cockroaches, bad services”

Doubletree Resort by Hilton Hotel Sanya Haitang Bay
Ranked #28 of 1,327 Hotels in Sanya
Sydney, Australia
“Flying cockroaches, bad services”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We were hungry after swimming at the pools so we headed to the restaurant at around 3pm.

We wanted to look at the menu first before deciding whether we want to eat there, but the waitress, who had no smile, insisted that we must sit down to look at the menu. Nope, I don't feel comfortable sitting down, so I stood at the table, because simply I am not a baby and I don't like to be pushed into doing this which I don't like - didn't feel respected.

Then the waitress was telling us about these discounts from several credit cards and I happened to own one of them and I asked for further information, she gave me a couldn't-care-less attitude and told us she doesn't know if the discounts were still available and I would not check for you unless you sit down.

So we sat down, we asked again about the discounts, then she checked. I simply cannot believe it takes that much effort for this information to be retrieved.

We had our meals - at the end of our meal there was a cockroach on the wall that literally flew to us.. we all jumped up. We complained to the manager who only focused on saying how they would improve in the future and told his staff to clean the walls next time...

We still paid full price including a 15% service charge which we were disappointed because of their passiveness in service recovery.

I will not return to the hotel for food.

On the other hand, the pools were okay especially the infinity pool which was truly infinity, yet there were sunbeds ON the pool that made people "washing their feet" in it (I saw a group of people scrubbing their foot in the water), think twice before you dip yourself in.

The bathroom in the room could be a problem if you and whoever you are staying with is not close if you get a room that its bathroom door does not close properly.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank nodnarb0312

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Shanghai
Reviewed 26 June 2012

(My review on ctrip.com was removed by system. I want to put here to let more people know the real experience)

I stayed in Double Tree Hai Tang Bay with my husband for 4 nights during 2012 New Year. Hotel service was a huge problem.
1. No service at all at breakfast. No one to guide at entrance. Smells awfully in the restaurant. Waiters and waitresses were wandering, or chatting, but not focusing on cleaning up tables. We had to wait and yelled to get a clean table. One guest next to my table even lost her handbag during breakfast. Self service of coffee and tee
2. Nothing to eat at 9.30 am at buffet.
3. Difficult to change room. We requested a pool access room. The pool from my room balcony was so cold, because no sunshine at all. We requested to change to the other side of the building. Hotel agreed to change till the last night. We wasted a whole day waiting for room confirmation, moving...
4. We ate at the noodle shop one night. Waited for 1 hour to get the food
5. Poor room amenity. Comb is like a piece of paper. I don't have idea how to use it. Even budget hostel won't use that poor quality comb.
6. We left at 9am for breakfast and back at 12. No room cleaning.
7. Shuttle service is a chaos... Hotel is 50 mins from airport. Very far compared with Yalong Bay and other bays. Hotel provides shuttles. Last shuttle service till 11pm. My flight arrived at 11.05pm. I asked hotel whether the bus can wait me a while if they don't have other customers. They rejected said they have other customer. Another day we figured out its not true. They don't have any and they just don't want to service. Another day, we went to city center and want to take the airport ride back to hotel. They said they don't have shuttle because no other customers requested. They don't want to serve..

I rewrote the comments because I trust tripadvisor. I'll see how long this comment is going to last and if the hotel still is able to pull my comment off..

Room Tip: Make sure the room as sunshine if you request a pool access in New Year seasons
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ilse_dong
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in an lagoon suite (upgraded). Resort was very quiet, definitely not full or close to full. I (Incorrectly) assumed that there would be some sort of courtesy or tourist information at the airport to help find your hotel. Make sure if you come to Sanya you are prepared with the hotel address in Chinese, fortunately I had the phone number and had the reception speak to the taxi driver. Check-In was easy and the first impression of the room was amazing, a large living room and even larger bedroom with all the latest facilities. The only problem I had with the room throughout the whole trip was that the water temperature in the shower was too hot and the hotel staff just kept ignoring this as a problem. The facilities at the hotel were very nice, the pools and beach was excellent. The hotel shares a courtyard with the Conrad so you can also walk over to the Conrad pool although it doesn't make much difference as it all looks the same. The pool staff are not well trained at all and you need to look for them rather then them coming to look for you. Everything seemed like a headache for them to do for you (i.e. towels, food etc) each day when ordering food/drinks by the pool i was given different answers, and brought the wrong things, it became so much of a joke that by the third day I ordered from room service before leaving the room to the pool. The kids club was very nice and new and with lots of games, my kid loved it, unfortunately the kids club attendants couldn't speak English and were not well trained at taking care of kids. The breakfast at the hotel was as chaotic as a market - owing to the food being quite expensive (by Chinese standards) most of the guests at the hotel spent many hours at the breakfast, going through plate after plate of food, at first I though the food looked quite ok, but as I examined in detail by the third day I was so disgusted that I hardly ate anything. 1) Frozen dim-sum used to cut corners 2) mold on cheese and ham 3) Fly's on everything I could go on, but it didn't bother me enough to make a complaint about it on my holiday! There is only one restaurant at this hotel and they have a small "Noodle Shop" which has very decent (albeit quite expensive) food such as dumplings, noodles and northern delicacies. I also took a free golf cart to the adjacent Conrad to eat at their Chinese restaurant, which was really really good.. quite expensive but much better value for money than even the noodle restaurant at the double tree. The bar at the evenings was out of stock on many items, and there were lots of mosquitoes (to be expected), there was a Filipino band playing every evening who were quite OK. Overall the holiday was really good, the weather in Sanya was excellent as was the pool, beach etc. As for the hotel, we were really lucky that it wasn't busy at all - if it was busy I'm sure that the service standards would be even lower than they were. I went to a few other resorts on my last day and the service seemed better - I think I would try another resort on the next trip.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Austria
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Went to Sanya for the first time in December 2011 and was looking for something quiet and secluded for a few days of fresh air and sunshine in the middle of a dreary Beijing winter. Chose Haitang Bay on purpose over the more established Yalong Bay - it was exactely what we were looking for.
Nice hotel, between the Doubletree and the adjacent Conrad hotel plenty of restaurant and bar choices to spend a week without getting bored.
Great pool, wonderful "baskets" : sun beds with great protection against the wind, pefect to hang out all day justmreading and sleeping.
We were there amongst a big meeting group from China but still did not feel like the hotel lost sight of us.
The bay seems to be developing quite fast, rented bikes and took a trip up Haitang Bay, will try to get back before all the big neighbourhood hotels open!

Room Tip: Lagoon room to the outside was great, does not have sea view but very private and quiet
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank InesW
Duns, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I was mistakenly booked in here, as I had requested the Hilton Sanya Resort - however, I thought it wouldn't matter.
Hmm, how wrong could I be?
From the fact that the HiltonHonors people couldn't help me with the booking once booked, to the fact that the room smells of damp - I have only had little chunks of light relief.
I left the hotel every morning to go to a conference in Sanya 100rmb there and 200rmb back - a daily cost of £30 added to my budget!
Today is my first day staying in the resort, I fly out tomorrow (car to and from airport costs 900rmb round trip too!) and the two things I have done so far have been ok - breakfast was a good enough selection, then I spent an hour drinking Oolong Ginseng on the huge lobby veranda. All lovely.
But I am back in my room now, wondering if I should try to eat somewhere as the hotel seems to become public - coaches are drawing up and people spilling out! I am assuming they are using the resort facilities, as many of them tried to sit on the veranda and were shooed away by the staff.
Unless something amazing happens, I cannot recommend this place. Yes, being next to the South China Sea is a great location, but it really is isolated, and expensive.
Coming from the UK, the sun is a bonus, but I can sit outside anywhere in SE Asia and get the sun for free.
Sorry, but I tried to like this hotel, and sadly can't.
I never did eat at the hotel - I went to bed early counting the hours until I could leave. Switched on my laptop to see that I am getting charged for the use of a very slow internet! Is it 1998?
Then to cap it all, when I attempted to check-out, my pre-paid account, had not been paid. Now why wasn't this brought to my attention during my stay, and not at the point of check-out, embarrassing me in front of other guests.

Room Tip: Make certain the room has been aired - mine smelt musty and damp
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Blellum
Canberra Australia
Reviewed 20 November 2011

We were in Hailou for business for 2 weeks and so stayed here one night over a weekend. We had requested something in Sanya so we could experience local Hainan shops and restaurants but the company we were visiting decided to book us into this place. It is very new and BE WARNED _ IT IS VERY ISOLATED. It is miles and mile from anywhere, over 40km (30 miles) to Sanya and with no taxi or bus service. So it is 1 hour away by expensive limo. There are charges for everything, internet, extra taxes. airport pick up etc etc all for a resort you could find anywhere in the world and definitely NOTHING SPECIAL. zip Zip ZIP value.

You are trapped here, you have to use the Hilton restaurants, bars, services etc. Nothing else around and nothing to do except sit by the pool. We can do that anywhere in the world!!

To make it worse the noise from the music and poolside people drifts loudly into the rooms at all hours of the night, you cannot escape it. Forget sleep.

There are also so many annoying things, for example, you cannot get to the restaurant in the main building from the the reception level, you have to go out of the buiding, into a corridor find the lift halfway down the building, go down one level, and back around to the lower level. Stupid design!

The bedroom looks spectacular but in the end, just orfdinary with an unusable tub in the middle of the bedroom.

And the breakfast although apparently nothing lavish, is nothing special. And the coffe served us was cold, bitter, and burned! Orange juice was not fresh but something artifical from a can and the western selectio limited to eggs and overcooked bacon, while the chines was better but mostly steamed corn and steam pumpkin, steamed everything!!!

Wow, big disappointment!

My conclusion is BIG RIP OFF and NOT RECOMMENDED

Room Tip: Don't bother, every room will have views of the pool and the so caled ocean view rooms only a gl...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank DRMB
Hong Kong
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We stayed at the Conrad in Haitang Bay over the Mother's Day weekend. We booked ourselves into the King Garden Pool Villa. The room is spacious and comfortable but while we were trying to settle down, we noticed that a gardener was doing work by the pool of our villa. We found this quite strange as we figured any gardening work should be done before guests arrive. We didn't make much out of this because we figured he'd be done soon. After awhile we decided to take a dip in the pool and we see the gardener again, this time he was sitting on top of the wall that was separating our villa and the one beside ours. He spent the next 15 minutes sitting there while cleaning the top of the gazebo next door but making sure to watch us every now and then. By now it was getting a little frustrating because all we wanted was privacy...which is why we booked ourselves a villa. We called the front desk and they immediately switched us over to a Ocean Villa instead. The General Manager personally came to apologize and make sure that the rest of our stay was going to be as comfortable as possible.

We later realized that construction and maintenance work around the hotel was going to be our biggest annoyance during our stay. The hotel is very new and there is constant construction happening all around you. A couple times when we were trying to get to the restaurant or lobby by the hotel golf carts, we would have to wait for bulldozers to cross the road etc. There was another time when we were trying to get back to our villa from the beach, we asked a security guard (in Mandarin) if a certain path took us there. I guess that man had no idea but just refused to respond to our question in a helpful manner. All he did was shake his head and talk in a different dialect with a bunch of construction workers he was sitting with. It turned out the path was in fact a shortcut to our villa but we found that out on our own. My advice to the hotel is that if certain parts are going to remain under construction for awhile, then close that section off from the public. It is a greater nuisance having to doge heavy bulldozers, put up with constant construction noise and maintenance work everywhere while you're trying to relax.

One thing worth mentioning is that the food at this hotel is exceptional. Our first meal was through room service and we had the Hainan Chicken rice. It was so delicious we had to order it again on the last day before we checked out. We ate at all the restaurants except for La Chine, and we must say they have amazing chefs here. Unfortunately, we were always the only guests at the restaurant because we've been told it's low season for travelling at the moment. As a result of being the only customers, we constantly received exceptional service and were given complimentary desserts etc.

The staff here are very professional and friendly. With the construction aside, the hotel has comfortable atmosphere. The Conrad has a lot of potential to become a great 5-star hotel but it's not quite there yet.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family