“outstanding”

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Sanya Haitang Bay
Ranked #32 of 1,366 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Lovely hotel at the lesser known Haitang Bay.
This resort delivers exactly what you expect, a secluded hideaway for perfect relaxation and breathtaking views of the ocean.
We found this resort particularly great for its kids facilities, including kids club, kids pool and playground. There is minimal disturbance to adults, who can enjoy their holidays as much as children can.
Room cleanliness was far above par and some of the best we have experienced in Asia.
In short, there is no better alternative the escape busy work life in China than to take the short, direct flight into Sanya.
An absolute must visit during winter if you live in Beijing or Shanghai.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
wang a, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2013

Dear Peter

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay with us. We are pleased to learn that you had a great time here at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Sanya Haitang Bay.

This DoubleTree resort offers 463 spacious guestrooms housed in contemporary low-rise buildings, all of which are conveniently located right next to Haitang Bay’s pristine unspoiled natural tropical beach. Each elegant guest room provides unparalleled beauty with views of the seemingly endless warm turquoise ocean, gorgeous sandy beach or lush green tropical gardens. Staying here, you are assured of seamless beach access for a truly relaxing beach holiday experience.

Thanks again Peter for your recommendation and looking forward to seeing you again here at this lovely resort!

Best regards

Emily Wang

Reviewed 14 January 2013 via mobile

The doubletree is a pretty decent hotel. There's nothing really to complain about expect the evening buffet, nothing is edible except the ice cream. The room we had was very spacious, clean, well placed. Loved the how they made the bathroom and bath tub. I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone and everyone has to go to the noodle box. Amazing freshly made noodles.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Jessica

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay with us. It is our honor to learn that you had a great time here at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Sanya Haitang Bay.

As for dining experience, this resort offers guest an exciting choice of restaurants and bars with a vast array of cuisine from across the world. Enjoy dining next to the unspoiled beaches of Haitang Bay, it is one of the most relaxing and refreshing environments of all.

As you recommended, Noodle Box is one of must-try restaurants where you could taste your way through Asia. Like Pandora, satisfy your curiosity and open the box to discover a whole new world of noodles. Based on the very best authentic noodle dishes from across Asia, dining at Noodle Box is also a gateway to understanding Asian culture.

Thanks again Jessica for staying with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you again!

Best regards
Emily Wang

Reviewed 15 December 2012

Good service, a lot of swimming pools. Perfect view and room facilities. No air conditional in lobby, but the property near the sea, so not felt too hot. Breakfast was delicious, I stayed there with my husband and daughter for 4 nights, we rented one car when we arrival Sanya, very convenience for us to go downtown for eating. Pleasure trip in Sanya.

Room Tip: The room face to swimming pool is better
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We were hungry after swimming at the pools so we headed to the restaurant at around 3pm.

We wanted to look at the menu first before deciding whether we want to eat there, but the waitress, who had no smile, insisted that we must sit down to look at the menu. Nope, I don't feel comfortable sitting down, so I stood at the table, because simply I am not a baby and I don't like to be pushed into doing this which I don't like - didn't feel respected.

Then the waitress was telling us about these discounts from several credit cards and I happened to own one of them and I asked for further information, she gave me a couldn't-care-less attitude and told us she doesn't know if the discounts were still available and I would not check for you unless you sit down.

So we sat down, we asked again about the discounts, then she checked. I simply cannot believe it takes that much effort for this information to be retrieved.

We had our meals - at the end of our meal there was a cockroach on the wall that literally flew to us.. we all jumped up. We complained to the manager who only focused on saying how they would improve in the future and told his staff to clean the walls next time...

We still paid full price including a 15% service charge which we were disappointed because of their passiveness in service recovery.

I will not return to the hotel for food.

On the other hand, the pools were okay especially the infinity pool which was truly infinity, yet there were sunbeds ON the pool that made people "washing their feet" in it (I saw a group of people scrubbing their foot in the water), think twice before you dip yourself in.

The bathroom in the room could be a problem if you and whoever you are staying with is not close if you get a room that its bathroom door does not close properly.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank nodnarb0312
Reviewed 26 June 2012

(My review on ctrip.com was removed by system. I want to put here to let more people know the real experience)

I stayed in Double Tree Hai Tang Bay with my husband for 4 nights during 2012 New Year. Hotel service was a huge problem.
1. No service at all at breakfast. No one to guide at entrance. Smells awfully in the restaurant. Waiters and waitresses were wandering, or chatting, but not focusing on cleaning up tables. We had to wait and yelled to get a clean table. One guest next to my table even lost her handbag during breakfast. Self service of coffee and tee
2. Nothing to eat at 9.30 am at buffet.
3. Difficult to change room. We requested a pool access room. The pool from my room balcony was so cold, because no sunshine at all. We requested to change to the other side of the building. Hotel agreed to change till the last night. We wasted a whole day waiting for room confirmation, moving...
4. We ate at the noodle shop one night. Waited for 1 hour to get the food
5. Poor room amenity. Comb is like a piece of paper. I don't have idea how to use it. Even budget hostel won't use that poor quality comb.
6. We left at 9am for breakfast and back at 12. No room cleaning.
7. Shuttle service is a chaos... Hotel is 50 mins from airport. Very far compared with Yalong Bay and other bays. Hotel provides shuttles. Last shuttle service till 11pm. My flight arrived at 11.05pm. I asked hotel whether the bus can wait me a while if they don't have other customers. They rejected said they have other customer. Another day we figured out its not true. They don't have any and they just don't want to service. Another day, we went to city center and want to take the airport ride back to hotel. They said they don't have shuttle because no other customers requested. They don't want to serve..

I rewrote the comments because I trust tripadvisor. I'll see how long this comment is going to last and if the hotel still is able to pull my comment off..

Room Tip: Make sure the room as sunshine if you request a pool access in New Year seasons
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Ilse_dong
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in an lagoon suite (upgraded). Resort was very quiet, definitely not full or close to full. I (Incorrectly) assumed that there would be some sort of courtesy or tourist information at the airport to help find your hotel. Make sure if you come to Sanya you are prepared with the hotel address in Chinese, fortunately I had the phone number and had the reception speak to the taxi driver. Check-In was easy and the first impression of the room was amazing, a large living room and even larger bedroom with all the latest facilities. The only problem I had with the room throughout the whole trip was that the water temperature in the shower was too hot and the hotel staff just kept ignoring this as a problem. The facilities at the hotel were very nice, the pools and beach was excellent. The hotel shares a courtyard with the Conrad so you can also walk over to the Conrad pool although it doesn't make much difference as it all looks the same. The pool staff are not well trained at all and you need to look for them rather then them coming to look for you. Everything seemed like a headache for them to do for you (i.e. towels, food etc) each day when ordering food/drinks by the pool i was given different answers, and brought the wrong things, it became so much of a joke that by the third day I ordered from room service before leaving the room to the pool. The kids club was very nice and new and with lots of games, my kid loved it, unfortunately the kids club attendants couldn't speak English and were not well trained at taking care of kids. The breakfast at the hotel was as chaotic as a market - owing to the food being quite expensive (by Chinese standards) most of the guests at the hotel spent many hours at the breakfast, going through plate after plate of food, at first I though the food looked quite ok, but as I examined in detail by the third day I was so disgusted that I hardly ate anything. 1) Frozen dim-sum used to cut corners 2) mold on cheese and ham 3) Fly's on everything I could go on, but it didn't bother me enough to make a complaint about it on my holiday! There is only one restaurant at this hotel and they have a small "Noodle Shop" which has very decent (albeit quite expensive) food such as dumplings, noodles and northern delicacies. I also took a free golf cart to the adjacent Conrad to eat at their Chinese restaurant, which was really really good.. quite expensive but much better value for money than even the noodle restaurant at the double tree. The bar at the evenings was out of stock on many items, and there were lots of mosquitoes (to be expected), there was a Filipino band playing every evening who were quite OK. Overall the holiday was really good, the weather in Sanya was excellent as was the pool, beach etc. As for the hotel, we were really lucky that it wasn't busy at all - if it was busy I'm sure that the service standards would be even lower than they were. I went to a few other resorts on my last day and the service seemed better - I think I would try another resort on the next trip.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Went to Sanya for the first time in December 2011 and was looking for something quiet and secluded for a few days of fresh air and sunshine in the middle of a dreary Beijing winter. Chose Haitang Bay on purpose over the more established Yalong Bay - it was exactely what we were looking for.
Nice hotel, between the Doubletree and the adjacent Conrad hotel plenty of restaurant and bar choices to spend a week without getting bored.
Great pool, wonderful "baskets" : sun beds with great protection against the wind, pefect to hang out all day justmreading and sleeping.
We were there amongst a big meeting group from China but still did not feel like the hotel lost sight of us.
The bay seems to be developing quite fast, rented bikes and took a trip up Haitang Bay, will try to get back before all the big neighbourhood hotels open!

Room Tip: Lagoon room to the outside was great, does not have sea view but very private and quiet
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple